Is This Not an Error??

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Is This Not an Error??

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 28, 2014 12:31 pm

DarthMonk wrote:It's just not enough for me to say "since untouched balls (careful!!) are usually ruled hits, this ball should be too." <---- Not a quote of you but, I think, an accurate summary of your position.

THIS ball


Image


clearly should have been caught, fits the rule perfectly, and this scorer has ruled this way many times without a no-no being an issue. I guess you and I see these kinds of things differently but I gotta tell ya, I had a feeling you'd be the only guy to weigh in and so far, you da man.

I guess MLB sees it differently than you do, too. :whistle:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge
Online
Posts: 14843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Is This Not an Error??

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:Pop fly was clearly an error on the 2B, who should have stopped and let the RF take it. Would have been an easy play for the RF.

Only if the RF called him off, brother... I saw no indication that he was called off... so he had to play the ball. I think that was all on the RF... though, technically, it was an E-4... or SHOULD have been...

I disagree. It's not an E-4 because he was going back and never got to the ball (granted he stopped when he heard/saw the RF coming in). The onus is on the RF because he's coming in and has the play in front of him. Even if the RF wasn't around, then I would still hesitate to call it an error, because it was untouched. I'd go even further to say that, without the RF in the play, it arguably isn't an E-4 even if it glances off his glove, due to the fact that he's going back and had to make an over the shoulder catch. Clearly the RF is at fault on this play, but it is what it is.

He didn't stop when he heard the RF... he misplayed the ball... therefore, E4. While I don't dispute that the RF SHOULD have called him off, and made the play, he had time, and a sound adjustment puts him in excellent position to make the catch with no real effort. It was "over the shoulder" only because it was misplayed. Misplayed = E4

I hate the games scorekeepers play. Cal Ripkin "broke" the error free streak set by Eddie Brinkman, not because he actually played more error free games in a row... but because he had the good fortune to commit an error very late in his streak while playing at home. Heck, as popular as he was, it probable wouldn't have mattered WHERE he played. I love Cal Ripkin... but that was bogus.

The play in the vid SHOULD have been scored an E4... but wasn't, only because another class player was involved on the offensive end of the bat, and requested a review. I'm done. If you have a need to declare victory, knock yourself out... but =;
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Is This Not an Error??

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Countertrey wrote:While I don't dispute that the RF SHOULD have called him off, and made the play, he had time, and a sound adjustment puts him in excellent position to make the catch with no real effort. It was "over the shoulder" only because it was misplayed. Misplayed = E4

Agreed. That's where you're wrong, my friend. Here's a scenario: a player hits a high pop, and the outfielder initially thinks it's short and runs in. Then, seeing that the ball is carrying farther, realizes it's going over his head, and starts to head back, but is too late, and the ball falls just past his outstretched glove. Error? Nope. Misplayed? Yes. You can't tell from the video if the wind might have caught the ball, or the lights got in his eyes. Generally speaking, if the ball goes untouched, it's a hit. Are there exceptions? Obviously, but this play wasn't one of those.

Countertrey wrote:The play in the vid SHOULD have been scored an E4... but wasn't, only because another class player was involved on the offensive end of the bat, and requested a review.

Huh? So your argument is that they gave him the hit because he's a class player? Um, no. He asked for, and was awarded, the hit because that is the way MLB is scored. It was originally scored an error (because the hometown scorekeeper was trying to preserve the no-hitter), so that throws your scorekeeper games theory out the window (or at least makes it counter to your argument). He wouldn't have asked for the review, if he didn't think it should have been scored a hit. MLB wouldn't have overturned the scorekeeper's call, if they didn't think it was a hit. So I'm sorry if you don't agree, and I don't need to declare victory, because the issue was already decided, and I'm not the one on the wrong side of the call. [-(
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to The Lounge