Pastor Turned Atheist

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
JSPB22

Re: Pastor Turned Atheist

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Cappster wrote:Trying to conclusively tell me that god exists with zero doubt in their minds and then trying to force the beliefs of what that person feels god has told them to do is what I have the biggest problem with.

I agree with you. But that is not an issue with God, it is an issue with the behavior of people.

Cappster wrote:On a side note, just looking at the planet that a supposed god created us on that was made just for us...it is a rather hostile environment for life.

And yet it is teeming with life. Perhaps the hostile environment strengthens the life that exists.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:What amazing ability and power I have. If I say the word "God," he pops into existence. Now I'll create a unicorn--I don't know diddly about unicorns.

Nope.

Your invoking God doesn't make Him exist, but it does contradict your supposed non-belief in Him. So I mis-spoke. I should have said your statement requires the belief in the existence of God.

Mis-spoke again. Saying don't know diddly about unicorns does not contradict a non-belief in them. I'm liking some of your other posts here, though. Active thread lately.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Deadskins wrote:There is no possible way to prove something does not exist.

A largest prime number does not exist. That fact has been conclusively proven. Just sayin'.

I do no believe the non-existence of God can be proven and as far as I'm concerned, any hard-line atheist has such a proof incumbent upon him. That's why I don't give hard-line atheists much attention.

You spoke earlier of proof for an individual based on an experience they had. This is exactly what I meant months (or years) ago when I spoke of evidence that really can't be shared. You can tell me about it but I can't share the experience with you the way I can when we both see a cup of coffee get spilled.

God might exist. God might not exist. If you think you know God exists then more power to you. I'm just not buying that claim in it's totality. I'm not calling you a liar. Maybe I just put words in your mouth and, if I did, I'm sorry.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:42 am

Deadskins wrote:
Cappster wrote:Trying to conclusively tell me that god exists with zero doubt in their minds and then trying to force the beliefs of what that person feels god has told them to do is what I have the biggest problem with.

I agree with you. But that is not an issue with God, it is an issue with the behavior of people.

Cappster wrote:On a side note, just looking at the planet that a supposed god created us on that was made just for us...it is a rather hostile environment for life.

And yet it is teeming with life. Perhaps the hostile environment strengthens the life that exists.

If god commands in his holy book(s) that certain punishments shall be carried out for working on the sabbath or being an adulterer (death), then how can we place blame on the followers and not the one who is commanding such an action? And if you say that god is separate from religion I disagree. The commandments of god comes directly from religious doctrine and dogma.

If the Earth was made for mankind, it should be without volcanoes, earthquakes, typhoons, tornadoes, and a disproportionate percentage of salt water compared to that of fresh water. Not to mention the threat of a catastrophic, life ending asteroid hitting the Earth. I see no benefit of having these challenges to overcome especially when the earth was "created" with all of these imperfections.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:What amazing ability and power I have. If I say the word "God," he pops into existence. Now I'll create a unicorn--I don't know diddly about unicorns.

Nope.

Your invoking God doesn't make Him exist, but it does contradict your supposed non-belief in Him. So I mis-spoke. I should have said your statement requires the belief in the existence of God.

Mis-spoke again. Saying don't know diddly about unicorns does not contradict a non-belief in them. I'm liking some of your other posts here, though. Active thread lately.

Thats what I said. If he had said the Unicorn, then he would have been giving a proper analog to his original statement. Note the colored letters in his quote.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:31 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:There is no possible way to prove something does not exist.

A largest prime number does not exist. That fact has been conclusively proven. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I wondered if someone might use an example like that when I wrote it, but obviously by this statement:

DarthMonk wrote:I do no believe the non-existence of God can be proven

you understood what I was getting at.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 am

Cappster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

If god commands in his holy book(s)...

Sorry, you've already gone off track. It is not God's book. He didn't write it.

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:22 am

Deadskins wrote:Sorry, you've already gone off track. It is not God's book. He didn't write it.

So the existence of god, whatever it may be, is intrinsic? How did you learn of such a being existing such as the god of Abraham or whatever god you worship? What is your gods name? How do you know you are following gods will? How do you communicate with god and does he respond back? If you never experienced any sort of theology, do you think you would still believe in god or even know that one exists?

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am

And furthermore, Deadskins, if you don't believe that the bible is the word of god, then you must not be a Christian?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am

Cappster wrote:And furthermore, Deadskins, if you don't believe that the bible is the word of god, then you must not be a Christian?

I think the Bible is the word of man. It is full of stories relating other peoples' experiences interacting with God, and so it contains many useful lessons for developing a relationship with God. I don't get why you can't understand that, or why you think that belief is mutually exclusive to being a Christian.

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Cappster wrote:And furthermore, Deadskins, if you don't believe that the bible is the word of god, then you must not be a Christian?

I think the Bible is the word of man. It is full of stories relating other peoples' experiences interacting with God, and so it contains many useful lessons for developing a relationship with God. I don't get why you can't understand that, or why you think that belief is mutually exclusive to being a Christian.

Where does the story of Jesus comes from if it does not come from the bible? Does it just magically *poof* into a persons head? Is it Jesus who is god? Is it Yahweh/Allah/Mithra/Oden/Zeus? Who and or what is this being?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Cappster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Where does the story of Jesus comes from if it does not come from the bible? Does it just magically *poof* into a persons head?

Did you even read what I wrote, or were you in too big a hurry to post your response?

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Deadskins wrote:Did you even read what I wrote, or were you in too big a hurry to post your response?

Yes, I have. You say you don't need the bible to know god. I've asked if your god's name Jesus, Yahweh, or something else? And if a person doesn't need the bible to know your god, how do they get to know Jesus. I mean, if you identify as a Christian(?) then you would have of found out about CHrist through biblical based teachings and if not, how did you get to know god/Jesus/Yahweh?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Cappster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Did you even read what I wrote, or were you in too big a hurry to post your response?

Yes, I have. You say you don't need the bible to know god.

Obviously, you haven't. Or at least you haven't comprehended what I wrote. I never said you don't need the Bible, or shouldn't read the Bible, or anything like that. Go back and re-read.

Cappster wrote:I've asked if your god's name Jesus, Yahweh, or something else?

God's name is "I Am," but He is known by many other names as well. Jesus is of God, but he was a man, and not God Himself. I worship the same God as Jesus did. I am a Christian, because I (try to) follow the teachings of Jesus.

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Do you believe without being "saved" that you are going to go to hell? Jesus did say the only way to get to Yahweh is through him. That is, of course, if you choose to believe that part of the bible as the bible itself is basically only used as a supplement to believing. I guess its a take it and you will be fine or a leave it you will be fine kind of thing. And in some instances it seems like you don't need Jesus at all, but have a relationship with "I am" which seems to be more of a relationship with ones self than anything.

Return to The Lounge