No Mercy

We figure that the Olympics are of interest to just about all sports fans and being that we have Redskin fans all over the globe, why not give them a forum to sound off in about their favorite, or least favorite Olympic athletes and events.
Site Admin

No Mercy

Postby BossHog » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:55 pm

The Canadian women's hockey team beat the defending Swedish silver medalists 13-1 today. That brings the Canadian's aggregate total to 41 goals in just three games, and they have allowed 2. They outshot the Swedes 52-13. :shock:

10-1 is the closest game the Canadian women have had.

Canada's ridiculously easy route to the semi-finals has further fueled the discussion that there's really no point in playing these games since the U.S. and the Canadians are head and shoulders above everyone else. The women's American team has won 12-1 (China) and 13-0 (Russia) and play Finland tomorrow morning.

Since the women's world championship was sanctioned by the IIHF in 1990, Canada and the U.S. have only lost four games to other teams. (2 wins for Sweden, 2 wins for Finland). 4 in 20 years... or once every 5 years. :shock:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:01 am

It's a pointless "competition" really. The IIHF has some work to do to raise standards of those other nations. I'll only be interested in the women's ice hockey when the US and Canada collide.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Y'know, I never really paid any attention to the women's hockey, but I watched China versus Finland the other night and it wasn't bad.

I hate the fact that they have a 2 minute penalty for "body checking". That was really my only beef.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

It's a very different game - no body contact has pros and cons - hopefully more flow and finesse, but often lacking the tenacity that makes hockey spectacular IMO.

And unless Canada is playing the U.S. or neither of those teams is playing... it's just a completely downhill affair.

UK is right, the IIHF needs to improve the standards of other nations by helping them find funding, or it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that it'll be USA vs Canada in any final.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Return to 2010 Olympics