2017 Nats

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Skins History Buff

2017 Nats

Postby welch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Spring training is well under way. It's time for some baseball.

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: 2017 Nats

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:54 pm

welch wrote:Spring training is well under way. It's time for some baseball.
+1

haven't heard much about the Nats and Os - I'm sure the Nats will be OK but what about the Os?

looking forward to another Fenway trip, maybe August or September - a great baseball experience
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:36 pm

This year's Nats:

- fine field line-up

- good bench

- good starting pitchers

- weak relief pitching. Mike Rizzo needs to get relievers quickly.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Dey got de same illness dat de Caps got... dey gon break you heart...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:57 am

Countertrey wrote:Dey got de same illness dat de Caps got... dey gon break you heart...

Speaking of heartbreaking, CT: Roy Sievers died a week ago. My all-time favorite ballplayer, and so said many fans our age. A fine hitter and decent human being.

Tom Boswell agreed:

I was fortunate. I got a wonderful hero. When I was eight years old in the spring of 1956, somebody gave me my first pack of baseball cards. Pathetic as it sounds, I can still remember where I was standing when I opened them: beside a coffee table in the living room. In that pack was only one player from my hometown team, the Washington Senators. I’m convinced that, by the luck of the draw, the player on that card was destined to be my first (and, as it turned out, only) hero. It could have been Herb Plews, who made four errors in one inning, or Chuck Stobbs, who lost 13 games in a row.

But it was Roy Sievers.

At that time he wasn’t the best player on those bad Nats teams. Mickey Vernon was. Sievers, however, was about to blossom into the best home run hitter in the American League. And I had “spotted” him — that is, stumbled on him — a year before it happened. Maybe that’s why, to this day, I’m still childishly certain that I have a special lucky relationship with baseball.

At the ages of nine and 10, I felt intimately connected with the most mythic public figure in my town — a man who hit 42 home runs in ’57 and then 39 in ’58. That doesn’t sound like so many, but for that sliver of time (so symbolic to me), it was more than anybody in baseball except Ernie Banks. Yes, more than Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams, or Hank Aaron or Willie Mays.

<snip>

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/n ... 3f905eddb4

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 pm

True enough, Welch... I'm increasingly seeing truly inspiring folks from our youth moving on to another place...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Countertrey wrote:True enough, Welch... I'm increasingly seeing truly inspiring folks from our youth moving on to another place...

I keep thinking the same.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Bob Wolff died last week, aged 96 or so. first Nats TV broadcaster, did TV and radio from 1947 to 1960. Radio announcer for the NFL "overtime game" between Colts and Giants, and radio announcer for the last five or so innings of Don Larsen's perfect game. Announcer for Rangers, Knicks, U of Maryland...even the dog show at Madison Square Garden. Trained many apprentice announcers over the years. Baseball Hall of Fame, broadcasters wing.

Author of "It's Not Who Won or Lost -- It's How you Sold the Beer", which includes many stories of the "Old Senators". My favorite? Bob and his assistant, Johnny Batchelder figure out how to get through a double-header selling Heurich's Old Georgetown Beer. On live TV, Wolff would say, "Old Georgetown...that's SOME Beer" and Batchelder would take a sip. Rest of the story? Buy the book!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:54 pm

No predicting if the Nats will win tonight, but yesterday's game was a treasure. Strasburg and Taylor.

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 am

very sorry for the fans - the play should have been called dead as soon as the bat hit the helmet
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 pm

SkinsJock wrote:very sorry for the fans - the play should have been called dead as soon as the bat hit the helmet

Yes. And should have started Tanner Roark rather than Gio. Tanner is tough-minded while Gio isn't. Should have put Roark in to start the second inning. Should have had Albers pitch two innings. On and on.

The Nats need a catcher who can hit and another starting pitcher. Not necessarily an ace, but someone good. There have been enough injuries this season that the team has learned that Wilmer Difo can play 2B, SS, and 3B. With Eaton healthy, they have four capable OF. They have a bullpen.

So...baseball is over. I'm ready for some football, as they used to sing on MNF.

Return to Washington Sports Teams