Biggest Draft Needs

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

Biggest Draft Needs

Postby stars81 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:00 am

Without a 1st round pick this year, which position do you think we need the most?

I was reading [url]prodraftanalysis.com[/url] to see a great breakdown of all the college players in college coming out of the draft.

Also, see [url]prodraftanalysis.com/Wredskins.html[/url] to see a breakdown of the Washington Reskins and they do a good job of identifying some holes on the team that we don't often see.

I think the team needs to strongly consider more athleticism on the right side of the OL. The team also needs to revamp that secondary and add some youth to an aging LB corp.

What do you think?

Re: Biggest Draft Needs

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:47 am

You know I would be personally happy if they select the BPA from RT, OG, ILB, CB, or SS, but I think FS is still an area of need ahead of all of those.

Rambo seams to be more of the SS type, so is Merriwether, and Thomas was spotted at SS last year before he got hurt. Clark reportedly has lost a step, so much so that no one would give him more than $1M to play for them this year.

I know most people think Paulumbus (sp?) is garbage, but Chris Cooley who looks at more all 22 film than anyone on this site thinks he played well last year. The coaching staff seams to think he played well, based on them not seriously trying to replace him. In fact I agree with Cooley who thinks the interior of the OL is much worse than RT. Laovau I just can't figure out why they signed the guy. If he is an upgrade over what we had I wonder by how much. Cooley was impressed with the fact that he can get out on the edge and hit a DB and not knock him down and in some cases the DB actually knocked Lauvao down. He couldn't figure out how someone that big can hit with almost no force.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:You know I would be personally happy if they select the BPA from RT, OG, ILB, CB, or SS, but I think FS is still an area of need ahead of all of those.

Rambo seams to be more of the SS type, so is Merriwether, and Thomas was spotted at SS last year before he got hurt. Clark reportedly has lost a step, so much so that no one would give him more than $1M to play for them this year.

I know most people think Paulumbus (sp?) is garbage, but Chris Cooley who looks at more all 22 film than anyone on this site thinks he played well last year. The coaching staff seams to think he played well, based on them not seriously trying to replace him. In fact I agree with Cooley who thinks the interior of the OL is much worse than RT. Laovau I just can't figure out why they signed the guy. If he is an upgrade over what we had I wonder by how much. Cooley was impressed with the fact that he can get out on the edge and hit a DB and not knock him down and in some cases the DB actually knocked Lauvao down. He couldn't figure out how someone that big can hit with almost no force.

I think the idea is not so much that Lauvao is a better LG than Kory L. was, but that the Lauvao, Kory L. Chester interior is an aggregate upgrade over the Kory L, Montgomery, Chester interior was. I have no idea if that will be the case, but that certainly seems to be the thinking. I too don' find Polumbus to be garbage, but still wouldn't mind seeing a draft pick come in to develop/push him. I also buy the argument that Clark, first and foremost, represents the gift of time to find out if Rambo can (continue to, thanks Irn!) develop into quality starter or better material. So I am really hoping not to see a FS or SS taken until round 7.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby yupchagee » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:25 pm

I agree that Polumbus is unfairly bashed. I think he's an average RT. We have addressed interior OL in FA. I think the draft should focus on D. ILB & DB really worry me.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:31 pm

OL and DB are the top needs but we also need LBs - and we need better depth

it will take more than 1 draft to get the depth we need - IMO this group is being very patient and doing a good job
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 pm

I found an addictive site that let's you pick your team to draft for (Skins!) while the draft simulator picks for all the other teams based on team needs and 4 different databases of rankings. It's interesting to try different scenarios to see what combinations of picks are possible. If I go OT in the 2nd, what OLB is available in the 3rd? I'm not sure I buy that some of these drafts I've pulled off would be possible, but obviously it's not an exact process trying to predict what 31 other teams might do. I've noticed that it never repeats the same picks each time even if you use the same database, so that's a plus. Here is the link...

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Here are my first 3 drafts... I geek out pretty hard when it comes to the draft so I go the full 7 rounds. You can choose to just go a round or 2 if you prefer. This is one of the strongest drafts in years and there are 4th and 5th round guys that would usually be 2nd - 4th round picks.

Skins Draft 1:
34 OT MOSES, MORGAN - VIRGINIA
66 DE LAWRENCE, DEMARCUS - BOISE STATE
102 S LOSTON, CRAIG - LSU
142 CB PURIFOY, LOUCHEIZ - FLORIDA
178 RB CROWELL, ISAIAH - ALABAMA STATE
217 WR BRYANT, MARTAVIS - CLEMSON

This was my most balanced draft. I've seen all these guys and they all can play. We'd be lucky for Moses and then Lawrence to fall that far IMO. Loston is a missile and Purifoy is talented but a turd. Crowell is a cheap stud, former 5-star UGA recruit that transferred over a gun charge. They say he's actually a decent kid. No way Bryant is around in the 7th.

Skins Draft 2:
34 WR COOKS, BRANDIN - OREGON STATE
66 DE LAWRENCE, DEMARCUS - BOISE STATE
102 DT MCCULLERS, DANIEL - TENNESSEE
142 TE LYERLA, COLT - OREGON
178 G DOZIER, DAKOTA - FURMAN
217 C STONE, JAMES - TENNESSEE

Frivolous pick by me with Cooks, (considering our recent acquisitions), but I couldn't resist the value. He's a combo of Steve Smith mean and Desean Jackson quicks. Again surprised to see Lawrence available in the 3rd. McCullers has a high ceiling for a 4th rounder. Lyerla is the biggest turd in the draft. It's more likely he's in jail than the NFL in 4 years, but he's Aaron Hernandez mixed with Mark Bavarro on tape. Hopefully he's not a psychopath like Hernandez. Mainly I take him to keep him away from Chip Kelly. Dozier and Stone are very solid players that could stick in the league and very good kids.

Skins Draft 3:
34 OLB KYLE VAN NOY - BYU
66 OT ANTONIO RICHARDSON - TENNESSEE
102 C BRYAN STORK - FLORIDA STATE
142 WR CODY LATIMER - INDIANA
178 TE COLT LYERLA - OREGON
217 RB ISAIAH CROWELL - ALABAMA STATE

Van Noy is my favorite pick of these drafts. Youtube him, nuff said. "Tiny" Richardson played hurt all last year, but has major 1st round upside and ability, (full disclosure I'm a Vol fan). I like Stork a lot and so did others as he was voted top center in college ball last year. There's talk of Latimer making it into the 1st round these days, so no way we get him in the 5th, but I'll take him. As mentioned Lyerla is a thug, but the most talented TE in this weak class without question in my mind. Major dumbass though. Crowell is arguably most talented back of his peers as well and would look real nice behind Alf. A gun charge and Todd Gurley got in his way at UGA, but he's an all around back with major talent. This was my favorite of the 3 drafts.

I never got a chance to grab Lache Seastrunk, or that hillbilly kid Joe Don Duncan from Dixie St, but those are two more late favorites. Kony Ealy keeps finding his way toward back end of 1st/early 2nd as well. Love him. Anybody else sick of the dang 3-4? Nevermind, another thread for that topic around here somewhere or sure. Tell me where I'm brilliant or sniffing glue, give me some of your drafts. I'm interested to see the different combos and here something about some guys I might not know.

Hail to the REDSKINS!

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Skins Draft:
34 ILB C.J. MOSELY - ALABAMA
66 OT ANTONIO RICHARDSON - TENNESSEE
102 RB LACHE SEASTRUNK - FLORIDA STATE
142 C BRYAN STORK - FLORIDA STATE
178 TE COLT LYERLA - OREGON
217 TE JOE DON DUNCAN - DIXIE STATE

This worked out well except for the extreme lack of attention to our needy defense. Offense ready to ROLLLL after this though! Got Duncan as Lyerla thug/Jordan Reed concussion insurance. My man Joe-Don is the anti-Lyerla. Polished, smart, short, stocky, great hands, not elite athlete at all, will NOT go to jail, etc... Line addressed nicely, Seastrunk a sweet value, and Mosely filling a need with the best player available. Gotta love when that happens.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I can't stop...

R2
DE EALY, KONY
MISSOURI
R3
OT JAMES, JA'WUAN
TENNESSEE
R4
WR LATIMER, CODY
INDIANA
R5
OC STORK, BRYAN
FLORIDA STATE
R6
G DOZIER, DAKOTA
FURMAN
R7
ILB UNGA, UANI'
BYU

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Sat May 03, 2014 12:54 pm

OK, last one, doesn't appear anyone comes to these message boards anymore anyway. Where are you guys? The draft not an interesting topic around here?

This is my best draft so far. It's a good mix of quality on both sides of the ball. Safe pick at the top with Van Noy, but it absolutely swings for the fences with Purifoy, Lynch and Lyerla. We might strike out with guys like this, but sometimes you hit a dinger. Lynch and Lyerla are especially freakish, watch the videos below for a taste. They all selfish, non-team players. We'd have to have someone they respect in their ear all the time. I'm not seeing us hit on too many of our late round picks anyway so why not gamble with these late picks I say. Meanwhile, we'll do well with safer picks like Van Noy, and Stork. Tiny Richardson is an upside play too. He can be good, I watched his whole career at UT. Go Vols.

Skins Draft:
R2 OLB KYLE VAN NOY - BYU

Van Noy is a good athlete, but not a freakish talent by any stretch. What he has are football instincts that place him where the ball is. He was 3rd ALL TIME in tackles for loss! Versatile "tweener" type who can play multiple positions. Extremely high character, safe pick. We don't pick him because Rak or Kerrigan might leave, we keep them all and rotate in fresh talent constantly. I would love more than anything for Haslett to have a stable of fresh legged front 7 guys for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kVKo5HiV0

R3 OT ANTONIO RICHARDSON - TENNESSEE

R4 CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY - FLORIDA

R5 C BRYAN STORK - FLORIDA STATE

R6 DE AARON LYNCH - SOUTH FLORIDA
Lynch is a physical freak, elite talent guy with a poor attitude. Has all the tools, but will need to be mentored. Check out his skills though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-UOXKU_54

R7 TE COLT LYERLA - OREGON
Above explanation applies to this turd too. But check out his Gronkiness...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WmPZZ3TWI

Postby yupchagee » Sat May 03, 2014 10:03 pm

All these seem to focus mostly on O. I see our biggest needs at D.
Skins fan since '55

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Sat May 03, 2014 11:07 pm

I do too. Got caught up in BPA a couple times. 3 O and 3 D on the last and first I believe though.

Any of you guys UVA fans? I'd love to hear some opinions on Morgan Moses.

Postby yupchagee » Sun May 04, 2014 1:04 pm

stars81 wrote:Without a 1st round pick this year, which position do you think we need the most?

I was reading [url]prodraftanalysis.com[/url] to see a great breakdown of all the college players in college coming out of the draft.

Also, see [url]prodraftanalysis.com/Wredskins.html[/url] to see a breakdown of the Washington Reskins and they do a good job of identifying some holes on the team that we don't often see.

I think the team needs to strongly consider more athleticism on the right side of the OL. The team also needs to revamp that secondary and add some youth to an aging LB corp.

What do you think?

3 of our starters are 24, 26 & 28 yrs old. The 2nd ILB spot has me worried, I don't kno who will start there.
Skins fan since '55

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon May 05, 2014 6:40 am

funbuncher wrote:OK, last one, doesn't appear anyone comes to these message boards anymore anyway. Where are you guys? The draft not an interesting topic around here?

No, I just don't follow college football closely enough to speak to the subject. I enjoy reading your posts about it, though.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Tue May 06, 2014 11:08 pm

This is how it's done folks...

34 OT CYRUS KOUANDIJO - ALABAMA
66 DE KONY EALY - MISSOURI
102 DE AARON LYNCH - SOUTH FLORIDA
142 WR BRUCE ELLINGTON - SOUTH CAROLINA
178 C BRYAN STORK - FLORIDA STATE
217 OLB PRINCE SHEMBO - NOTRE DAME

Kouandijo is 6' 6" 310 with 16% body fat. He's got some learning to do, but he'd bookend with Trent Williams to form arguably the most athletic tackle combo in the league. Was such an elite talent that ultra conservative Nick Saban moved super safe Barrett Jones inside to play center after he had just won the Outland Trophy and all-SEC at LT in 2011, to make room for this kid at LT. That being said, he has had a few clunkers in big moments and is a much better run blocker than pass blocker at this point. Also has an injury concern, but prognosis is good. He needs to improve, but he's got great upside.

Then still getting both Ealy and Lynch make this a ridiculous haul. These guys are big and angry pass rushers. They look like men among boys in college, and I'd say it's highly unlikely they'd both be available here. I encourage anyone to go click on the links in previous posts to check them out.

I have not spoke on here about Ellington before, but I'm telling you right now this guy is so under-rated. I was not planning to draft a receiver, especially a smallish one, but the value in the 5th made him impossible to pass. This guy is a playmaker in big spots. He has great hands and balance. His body control jumps out at me, he's just a GREAT athlete that makes plays in big spots, and doesn't drop the damn ball like all of our WR's do! Lord knows we need guys like that. He returns kicks like a mother too.

Then we helped the line again with Stork, who was voted the top center in the country last year. He's nasty and doesn't quit looking for someone to block til the whistle blows. Started 40 games for the national champs and made all the line calls since his sophomore year.

The most common description of Shembo is that "he plays every play with his hair on fire". Nice. I was watching Taylor Lewan highlight video, (projected top 15 pick at LT out of Michigan), and noticed him getting beat by this guy (#55) that he kept obviously holding and getting away with it. We'll take some of that action in the 7th round please. I read that he had more QB hurries last year for the Irish than any player since 2004 when they began keeping the stat. Fellow Big Ten alum Mr. Cousins knows him well : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhJdcnRBxo - Taylor Lewan holding a lot

Shembo's own highlight tape...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAzFm6i1TnU

Anyway, that's about 10 Redskins drafts I've done now. This one makes a strong case for #1. 3 offensive, 3 defensive, 4 guys that play in the trenches, including the most important 3 at the top. I want to build a stable of pass rushers like the Giants used to have. If we want to dominate in this passing league, we have got to have fresh guys that can line up for the 20-25% more downs they're gonna be asked to play than pass rushers have traditionally had to play. I would have liked to get some talent at S or ILB, but the talent drops off quick at those positions, and I had no intentions of reaching for need when we only have 6 picks to work with. These guys were all value at their spots and that's what you shoot for. Maybe we'll acquire some more picks on draft day and address some more needs. I am not optimistic though that we'll draft any of my favorite guys. Every year I have all these studs picked out only to watch my skins ignore them all. Yet I come back like Charlie Brown to kick that dang football again. This is the year! Then Lucy pulls the football again and I end up shouting and throwing stuff at the TV, (mostly soft things).

My version of past Redskins drafts has Adrian Peterson and Dez Bryant dominating for us to name a few. Anyone remember why we didn't take AD? Was because we were "set" at RB with CP. Who would be seen shortly thereafter throwing himself to the ground downfield against the Jets before the tacklers even get to him. We took Laron Landry with the next pick, (who I liked), but I just had a major boner for All Day. The "it's been over 4 hours and I should seek medical attention" kinda bone. We passed on a once in a generation player like that because we were "set" at RB with CP. Kills me man, I'm a Skins fan since early 80's and my favorite stinkin player to watch is AD who isn't even on my team. It's so beautiful, and he shoulda been Burgandy & Gold. It just kills me... obviously, as I'm wayyyy off track here in this thread that one guy reads, who doesn't watch college football, and is just happy to read the cliffs notes here. Enjoy, Louisville guy. I'll revisit this thread in a couple years and see how many busts I drafted.

HTTR!

How bout we let Chuck get a crack at that ball this year, Lucy?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 am

Louisville guy?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to General Manager's Office