Manning to Skins....WHAT???

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Countertrey wrote:No team is going to bring in Manning... and use him for trade bait. The team that gets him will do so because they offer the most money. That will mean a big contract. If you want Manning, and don't win him outright... it's because you weren't willing to pay what he wanted, and ultimately, got.

In other words... why would anyone trade for him, when they could have gotten him outright, for the cost of the contract... without having to give up anything else?????

Well I did say not likely.

However it is not just a financial matter. Manning is going to choose whatever situation is best for him. Not necessarily the highest bidder.
I think it would be safe to say any team who is planning on signing him will have similar contract offers at least within the same ball park.

Yes I agree any team signing Manning has the intentions of Manning being the starter. I am just saying there are many scenerios that could play out. Some likely and some not likely. Signing manning as trade bait is certainly unlikely. However if you sign Manning "technically" you can use him as trade bait you have that option before the draft. Ah nevermind Manning would probably have a no trade clause. Hypothetically speaking he may not though?

Bottom line is I dont mind bringing in Manning.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Countertrey wrote:My prediction: The Redskins "intense interest" in Manning is a ruse to increase interest in the bidding for him by Miami, and possibly, Cleveland. This reduces the contenders for RG3, and may help reduce the price demanded by the Rams.

If Miami and Cleveland pick up Manning and Flynn in Free Agency, we have no need to trade up. No one else has the ammo to trade up to #2. The Rams don't want RG III. The Vikings don't want him. Cleveland will have solved their need for QB and can pick up Trent Richardson. We'll be sitting pretty.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 pm

The Hogster wrote:Look guys. I take a lot of flack around here for looking at things differently--usually from a practical business standpoint. In this case, consider this angle.

Maybe the Redskins are leaking this "interest" in Peyton Manning to gain some leverage in the Rams deal. If the market for the Rams pick is going to shrink, they will be more inclined to pull the trigger sooner. If the Rams think that the Skins could possibly fall out of the bidding. Then, they might not get as much in a trade with less teams competing for the pick. In business you have to manufacture leverage and/or a market.

Unnamed sources aka AGENTS :lol: do this all the time. They leak that they've talked to 5 teams when they really haven't to give the one team they want the impression that they're about to lose out. I don't see Shanahan, who famously didn't even talk to Cutler, allowing this Manning interest to get out unless there was an ulterior motive.

I've been thinking the same. Manning just doesn't fit with what we are building. Our offense doesn't fit, the coaching staff doesn't fit, the grass doesn't fit, the weapons don't fit. This has to be a smoke screen. But so is saying that a 2nd rounder is out of the question in a trade for the 2nd pick with the Rams. Just as the Browns are saying they will not trade the 22nd pick.

Really, Manning needs us as much as we need him in these negotiations. He dances with us long enough to get the price down for the 2nd pick, and we dance with him long enough to get him more money with another team. Just don't get caught standing when the music stops.
Last edited by chiefhog44 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 am

The Hogster wrote:Look guys. I take a lot of flack around here for looking at things differently--usually from a practical business standpoint

Wow, that's it exactly. I'd been trying to put my finger on it and once again, you just nailed it.

But seriously, given that everyone plays us in their negotiations to get leverage, we'd have to be morons not to use our own rep to our advantage as well. Shannahan doesn't seem the type to be leaking accurate information.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 am

Don't be shocked if Peyton goes to Dallas....
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Don't be shocked if Peyton goes to Dallas....
:puke:

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:49 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Don't be shocked if Peyton goes to Dallas....

Called that one a while back. My top 3 are Arizona, Jets, Cowgirls.

If the Cowgirls I say we put a bounty out on Manning. What the heck, let's rip his helmet off again. Doctors say no additional risk, right?

:lol:

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

You got it, Kaz - There is NO WAY that the fans or media should place any credence at all OR believe what Mike Shanahan says ...

ESPECIALLY in the months of February & March :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 am

The Hogster wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Keep in mind, also... Bruce Allen learned all about subterfuge from one of the best... his dad.

And his brother George. :lol:

No, that's where he learned what the heck a "macaca" is. :)

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 am

riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Keep in mind, also... Bruce Allen learned all about subterfuge from one of the best... his dad.

Easy, easy. That's the starting line to bumpy road.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:16 pm

emoses14 wrote:
riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

Easy, easy. That's the starting line to bumpy road.

Haha. Just making a joke - nothing political in there!

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Manning HATES the Skins........just kidding, but he doesnt' want to be in DC. I think it has alot to do with playing Bro 2X A year.

Report: Peyton doesn't want to play for Skins Appearing on SportsCenter Thursday, ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell said he's "hearing" free agent Peyton Manning does not want to play for the Redskins and has already informed people in the building.
"A couple of different sources inside the organization have told me that Manning's camp made it pretty clear to Redskins officials he doesn't want to come here," said Russell. "... Unless that changes -- and I'm taking my sources at their word -- I don't think Manning's coming to D.C." The Redskins had hoped to make an aggressive offer to Manning, per the Washington Post, but there won't be much they can do if the feeling isn't mutual.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:50 pm

I agree with The Hogster and Countertrey. I feel that the "aggressive" pursuit of Peyton is good old fashion subterfuge in an attempt to gain some more leverage in the pursuit of RG3.
"Givin'em the Business!"

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:28 am

Yeah after thinking about this Manning thing a bit. The rest of the league believes he will land in Miami and so do I. It just seems like a great fit. Miami has the talent on offense already set to go. Put in Manning and you have a contender. Manning already has a home in Miami. Reggie Wayne has mentioned joining Manning in Miami. Pretty sure Manning will end up a Dolphin.

As far as the Redskins front office pursuit of Manning? Well I think think Shanny, Allen and Snyder would sign Peyton Manning in a heartbeat for whatever amount of money he desires. At the same time they know its a long shot and going after him can help gain leverage for the draft.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 am

You're partly right Hero - it seems pretty obvious that Manning will end up with the Dolphins, Jets, Broncos or Cardinals

Any franchise in need of a QB would be better with Manning ... but for how long?

This FO (btw - NOT Snyder) will continue to add players for the long term and NOT the short term

despite what some think - we are not 1 super QB away from being a consistently competitive team, NOT for long anyway

WE ARE VERY CLOSE - we need to keep adding players and this FO will do that thru free agency and what draft picks we have

WE NEED R.G.III .... NOT for this season or for next season .... MAINLY ... for all the seasons that follow :celebrate:

this is NOT Snyder's franchise to screw up with quick fixes ANYMORE

This franchise is now in Bruce and Mike's hands and they are getting it back into shape .... BIG TIME

HTTR
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to General Manager's Office