On the D-Line

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

On the D-Line

Postby The Skins Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:15 pm

The Redskins’ defensive tackles rotation—and their ability to collapse the pocket and stop the run—was thought to be one of the keys to a successful 2003 campaign. In truth, it still is

In truth, Yeah...Right

The defense started off well, limiting the New York Jets and Atlanta to an average of 78 yards per game on the ground while allowing the linebackers to create havoc in the backfield.

Yeah..B/C they were playing against Back-Up Quarterbacks and injury depleted teams

The group has tailed off in recent games and the defense now ranks 18th in the league in average rushing yards allowed per game. In the last two games against Tampa Bay and Buffalo, the defense has allowed an average of 153.5 rushing yards per game. Meantime, sacks have been hard to come by for the entire defensive line.

Is this due to bad coaching???????EDWARDS!?!?!?!?!?

As a group, their responsibilities include occupying offensive linemen so that the Redskins’ trio of Pro Bowl linebackers can burst through open lanes and disrupt plays

Well that hasn't happened since Week 2 in Atlanta

That scheme has allowed Jessie Armstead to record 46 tackles and a team-high 3.5 sacks

After 8 weeks into the season and the team high is 3.5 is absolutely PATHETIC, DISGRACEFUL, UNBELIEVABLE, RIDICULOUS (do I need to continue??)

Offenses have adjusted, however. LaVar Arrington, who has a team-high 62 tackles and one sack on the season, says he faces 2-3 blockers every time he attacks the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, I'd say offenses have adjusted, but has our defenses adjusted to their adjustments...NOOO!!!
LaVar with 1 sack!!! UNF***INGBELIEVABLE..When you've got a stellar athlete like Arrington who had 11 sacks last season--sorry I just see something seriously F'd up with that stat
If Lavar is facing 2-3 blockers every time, then our defensive coordinator needs to discover a way to solve that problem to keep blockers from getting to him--Hey George Edwards, you got Marvin Lewis' phone number by chance to get some ideas??????

Holsey, a free agent pickup who signed with the Redskins prior to training camp, says the defensive tackles need to be more aggressive with blockers

How about a lot less talk and a little bit more action there Mr. Holsey.

“We still have a long way to go,” Holsey said recently.

No crap

“We just have to practice and play more consistently. It’s more technique than anything else."

Well the wrinkles with "technique" should pretty much be ironed out in TRAINING CAMP!!!

"[Defensive coordinator] George Edwards hasn’t made things too complicated. He just lets us play, which is good.”

Too complicated!!!! Just lets you play!!! Well that ain't working...Time to switch it up a little there George with a little sophistication (hey it worked w/ Marvin Lewis--finished 5th in the NFL)

“Any three or any four of us could start,” Holsey said. “It really doesn’t matter. I guess they’re calling us the no-names. That’s fine. I know that my play reflects on everybody else and their play reflects on me. So we all try to keep up our end of the bargain.”

Not doing a very good job.

Now this may seem a little harsh but like all you Hogs out there, I bleed the burgendy and gold and I'm sick and tired of getting ourselves embarrassed week in and week out...I've gone through the 12-2 Super Bowl teams as well as the 3-13 4-12 teams and I will never, EVER give up hope and faith in our beloved Redskins--I just get a little frustrated sometimes and frankly--I feel I have earned the right
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:57 pm

If Lavar is facing 2-3 blockers every time, then our defensive coordinator needs to discover a way to solve that problem to keep blockers from getting to him--

that's not edwards only problem at that point, if lavar has a double team, that means it's one on one the rest of the way around, if he has three blockers, that means someone, (probably a safty) is free to blitz. our lbs and secondary has more sacks than the line....there are other d-coord's doing a much better job, with lots less talent on the field, i don't exactly blame the line, i blame curious george(edwards).
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:05 pm

We will C if Lil George learned his "GD" lesson. I know he knows that Snyder will fire that S.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:41 am

Well I'll be the 1st to admit that I sided with the players against Marvin, I felt kind of bad for them.

But now, I wish he was here, and I bet the players do too.

Edwards was an assistant for a reason, and now we know why, he's not coach material, atleast not yet. He just lets them play and blow assignments, and we lose as a result.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:10 pm

I'm not sure Edwards' has proved that he's not coaching material... it is his first gig, and he was thrust into the fire so to speak.

... he may have proved that he needs more time before he is ready though.

Unfortunately... we learn the hard way.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football