Various Preseason Power Rankings

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Various Preseason Power Rankings

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Wow. Rotoworld seems to see some potential with our roster.

#15. Eagles were #7, Giants #18 and Cowboys #20 btw.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... kings?pg=2
15. Washington Redskins

QB: Robert Griffin III
RB: Alfred Morris
WR: Pierre Garcon
WR: DeSean Jackson*
TE: Jordan Reed
TE: Logan Paulsen
LT: Trent Williams
LG: Shawn Lauvao*
C: Kory Lichtensteiger
RG: Chris Chester
RT: Tyler Polumbus

Offensive Overview: The Shanahan era left behind a franchise back in Morris, a quarterback with league MVP potential, plus talent at "X" receiver and tight end, and a 26-year-old left tackle who's already made two Pro Bowls. The Skins parted with Mike and Kyle Shanahan due to differences with owner Dan Snyder, not based on job performance. The new staff has supplemented RG3's weapons with Jackson and Andre Roberts, as coach Jay Gruden intends to open up Washington's passing game, while wider bodies were targeted on the line. This offense can rediscover top-five heights if Griffin's knee is indeed healed and his dual threat restored, as spring reports out of D.C. insist. The Redskins are a sneaky threat to win the NFC East if RG3 is his 2012 self. If not, this could end up as a rough, learning year. This will be Griffin's first-ever experience with a non-college-style offense, and his 2013 tape shows he needs quite a bit of refinement in the nuances of the quarterback position.

RE: Jason Hatcher*
LE: Chris Baker
NT: Barry Cofield
ILB: Perry Riley
ILB: Keenan Robinson
OLB: Brian Orakpo
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan
RCB: David Amerson
LCB: DeAngelo Hall
FS: Ryan Clark*
SS: Brandon Meriweather

Defensive Overview: Mike Shanahan's biggest failures were on defense, where the Skins boast two impact rush linebackers but ended last year deficient everywhere else. Washington's new decision makers shelled out to retain two-gap end Baker and signed 32-year-old Hatcher to a $27.5 million deal. Baker is a replaceable talent, and Hatcher's already undergone knee surgery. A camp battle will take place at inside 'backer next to Riley, while the Skins will count on in-house strides from Amerson and Meriweather. On the wrong side of 30, Hall is a mediocre corner. Ex-Steeler Clark drew little interest in free agency and is going on age 35. The Redskins need their offensive potential to be maximized by Gruden; DC Jim Haslett's defense can't carry them. Haslett's focus should be on sacks and turnovers because this group probably won't stop anyone.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:48 pm

riggofan wrote:Wow. Rotoworld seems to see some potential with our roster.

that seems a little generous to me
Last edited by SkinsJock on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:50 pm

"Haslett's focus should be on sacks and turnovers because this group probably won't stop anyone" ... I don't think we'll be that bad defensively but nobody really knows anything ... I do think that RG3 will take a big step forward but the offense is not going to be much if the O line does not also take a big step forward ...

we are biased and are hoping we can win the NFC East ... let's say that all the teams in our division (including the Redskins) play to their capabilities - MAYBE we could end up first or second in our division

however

there's no way this group is climbing the NFL rankings to be #15

and

the Eagles are most definitely not finishing in the top 10[/quote]

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 am

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:Wow. Rotoworld seems to see some potential with our roster.

that seems a little generous to me

15? Maybe a little. Reading the rest of the article though, I think it was more that he was critical of some other teams than he was overly optimistic about the Redskins.

I agree with where he rates our roster relative to the other teams in the NFC East though.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

riggofan wrote: .. Reading the rest of the article though, I think it was more that he was critical of some other teams than he was overly optimistic about the Redskins.

I agree with where he rates our roster relative to the other teams in the NFC East though.

I agree with you on that too ...

most of the rankings are simply based on what happened last season - we all hope for a big improvement on both sides of the ball - it's quite possible that the coaching and the players will step up big time ... HOWEVER - it's going to take more than a season for the O line and the defensive unit to get a lot better and develop some continuity and especially to add some quality depth

IMO - RG3, Morris and the pass catchers will all play a lot better - but how effective can they be without a good offensive line

IMO - the defensive front 7 needs to help cover the lack of a decent secondary - that seems like a big task to me

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 am

Remember that we have a lot of the core players from the '12 team that went 10-6 & won the NFC East & we've added some weapons. We could finish almost any were this year.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Ok - which should we consider more relevant - the performances of last year or the performances of the year before?

and I'll predict right now that RG3 will be a better QB than he was in 2012 because he will not be like he was in 2012 and the offense that he'll be running will be more an NFL type than the college type that Kyle and Mike thought would work best for RG3 - it 'worked' at the time but it did not help him progress as an NFL QB - we're going to see the NFL version this year not the flashy type that Mike & Kyle had in 2012

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:35 pm

RG3 and the weapons on offense are only part of the deal ...

if the O line is not vastly improved and gains incredible confidence in playing together immediately and not the normal 2 - 3 years playing together it normally takes and the defense does not give up too many points

we should be OK

:D

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:40 pm

I like how some are optimistic and others that "know better" from seasons passed are still skeptical.

I will fall into the overly optimistic category like most years...

The energy and motivation has changed in Redskins park due to the change in leadership... yes it's the honeymoon phase and we will have to see how the new staff handles adversity and if they can keep getting the players to buy in. I feel that our biggest problem last year was that the coaches lost their players. Even the fans (us) could feel the lack of commitment and pride the coaches were giving us.. that effects the whole squad like any manager who dost lead by example.

That new attitude and being a "players team" will have a vast impact. The additions we made through FA and the draft will just make it that much better talent wise.

I forsee a BEAST of an Offense... juggernaut if you will. And a D that gets better and better... with improved pass rush, a true leader at safety who is VOCAL. And has vision will be a great boost. I'm hopeful Raheem can keep advancing our young DBs but I also don't think it's as bleak as some like to think. Hall Amerson and Porter is a pretty good/ not great or amazing but better than average CB trio with Clark calling coverages and the hard hitting Mariweather we are NOT as weak in the back field as some like to suggest.

Our QB has his legs back. That alone will improve the line. Shannaclan is gone. That alone will help our (small) line. With 2 maybe 3 new faces in the mix I believe we will see some much improved play from the line. You blitz us and we have a quick pass to Pierre, Djax, or Reed. Players that WILL get YAC.
I'm most excited to see teams try to stop the pass then get beaten with choochooMorris.. then load the box and gery picked apart in the air.. then the send pressure... RGIII buys time and launches it to the speedy DJax (who unlike Robinson makes the catch and/or has the wheels to keep up w Roberts arm)

It's still off-season but we are looking better than we did in 2012 when we won the crown respite Mike giving up @ 3&6 and going into "eval" mode. THIS team has the ingredients to do BIG things.

You heard it here first... HTTR!!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:24 pm

there is nothing wrong with being overly optimistic ...

I am very hopeful that things will be great - that we win the division and go deep into the playoffs - I have felt like this for years

the reality is, it ain't happening - we're Redskins fans and we know the way things are here when the games count

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 pm

SkinsJock wrote:the reality is, it ain't happening

:lowblow:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:58 pm

SkinsJock wrote:there is nothing wrong with being overly optimistic ...

I am very hopeful that things will be great - that we win the division and go deep into the playoffs - I have felt like this for years

the reality is, it ain't happening - we're Redskins fans and we know the way things are here when the games count

Are u that bent out of shape over shannaclan and your beloved FO being sent packing??? I know u had the inside scoop w them but damn you're depressing me lately.

We WILL have a high powered top 5 Offense...
A HUNGRY D with needing tobprove the world they srill got it (Hall and Clark), solid pass rushers (contract year for Rak) and the young bucks looking to take that next step. I see Clark as the best signing in his leadership roles solid skill set, and the ability to recognize plays- he's alre
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 am

for the record - I have NEVER been a fan of Mike Shanahan and I am glad the both he and Kyle are not here anymore

that's not to say that I think that either is a bad HC or a bad OC - they are both good at what they do

I think this franchise is better off without the 2 of them -

Mike did not do as good a job as he could at HC but a big reason for that is that he was 'working' for Dan Snyder - I am VERY pleased that Mike came in and forced STUPID Snyder to realize that the franchise cannot be successful with his interference

Kyle is a good OC but he did not manage the offense well under RG3 and he hurt his future by not making him more of a pro style QB and designing an offense that worked well for a season - it was not an offense that would last and it slowed the development of RG3

we're much better off without Mike & Kyle but we're not going to be able to get over what they and the NFL did in just 1 season

the only guy on our offensive line last season that could get a job on any other franchise was Trent - how do you replace all those guys and have them develop continuity in a single season? - good luck :roll:

I like where we are and the new staff - I think we can kick butt in the NFC East ONLY because the other teams are not that good

We are not going to be a top 5 offense just because we have great play from Morris, RG3, Garcon, Reed and Jackson - we need an O line

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 am

SkinsJock wrote:Mike did not do as good a job as he could at HC but a big reason for that is that he was 'working' for Dan Snyder - I am VERY pleased that Mike came in and forced STUPID Snyder to realize that the franchise cannot be successful with his interference

I'll start by saying I'm not picking on you. However, at best this sounds like a contradiction to me and at worst like another person singing the Macarena. I get it, fans are mad at Dan Snyder for ___________ from 199_ to 200_. But please help me with the basis for making or implying (cause you were) that Dan Snyder is the reason why things deteriorated with Mike to the point of being fired. What precisely has Snyder done now, or hell in the last 5 years even? Please show me the evidence of Dan leaking the news of Mike wanting to quit after 2012 but not and then Mike being disgruntled with Griffin and where Dan forced Mike to play Griffin until he couldn't stand, literally. Please show me where Dan has exhibited ANY of the signs (aside from general views on the nickname crap) of being the over stepping owner he WAS and that, say, Jerry Jones, is. Please help me, 'cause this crap is about as played out as the Macarena was/is.

Mike didn't do a good job as HC last year for a bunch of reasons we have no idea of, but they were because of him and his choices. Not Dan's. At least not that I can see, anyway.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 am

SkinsJock wrote:Ok - which should we consider more relevant - the performances of last year or the performances of the year before?

I'd say neither may be especially relevant. Bruce Allen is predicting we could have as many as 25 new players on the 53 man roster. I don't think that's just lip service either.

Our results in the 2012 season didn't have much bearing on 2013. I'm not really expecting what we did last year to carry over to this year either.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football