Possible solution IF the team is forced to change name

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**LPJ**

Re: Possible solution IF the team is forced to change name

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:27 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:As for why you are a Redskin fan, it wasn't a historical question. It was a question why you like a team you are arguing has a racist name.

:!:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:55 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:And try to stop me from saying REDSKINS

Room 101, joe. Careful, man. They're watching.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:As for why you are a Redskin fan, it wasn't a historical question. It was a question why you like a team you are arguing has a racist name.

That's a fair question, man. I guess I would answer:

1) I don't think its the worst slur in the world. If it were there wouldn't be the debate there is. 2) Its not offensive to me personally. I'm a white scot/irish guy. and 3) Like most us here, I grew up with the name and never really thought about it as anything other than the name of our football team. (Then again, I also grew up playing "smear the queer" and never really gave that much thought either.)

I've written many times here that I don't care if they change the name or not. I just find most supporters' arguments for the name as whiny and childish as Harry Reid's arguments against it.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:06 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:If you have a problem with the name, don't support the team.. get the *bleep* out of here and I shouldn't see you at the game.

So in your book, any Native American who is offended by the name is not welcome at the game?

Nice.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:30 am

riggofan wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:If you have a problem with the name, don't support the team.. get the *bleep* out of here and I shouldn't see you at the game.

So in your book, any Native American who is offended by the name is not welcome at the game?

Nice.

In my book, if they were offended by the name why would they support it?

If I can't stand Dodge (for example), I wouldn't own one or even drive one.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:31 am

So whoever don't like it, can *bleep* off

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 am

And since you mentioned Native Americans who don't like it, what about the ones who do like the name?

They don't matter in this?

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 am

DarthMonk wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:And try to stop me from saying REDSKINS

Room 101, joe. Careful, man. They're watching.

My brutha Darth.. since when have I ever given a flying flippity flip?? :lol:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:So whoever don't like it, can *bleep* off

You know what though, man? At least this is an honest position to take. You're not making excuses, you're not coming up with lame defenses, and you're not whining about it. I don't have any problem with what you're saying.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 am

riggofan wrote:

You know what though, man? At least this is an honest position to take. You're not making excuses, you're not coming up with lame defenses, and you're not whining about it. I don't have any problem with what you're saying.

Yea Bro, it's not my fight to make yuh know?
Growing up my entire life I've NEVER known the term to be offensive. If you say to me "Redskins", I'm thinking of the football team. However I'm not a Native American so I'll gladly leave that fight up to them.. those that oppose it, and those that embrace it.
I personally just think it's funny that a state of the USA means "Red Skins" and the Native Americans there embrace it and there's even a movie theater in that state that's called "Redskins".
If the entire USA changes all "Redskins" to something else, I'll shut up and roll with it.. but I'm STILL not going to stop calling my team the Redskins.
I don't like a certain lifestyle of people so I stay away from Dupont Circle.. I won't go there nor will I support any establishments there because to me if I do, I will feel like a big hypocrite.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Case in point.. if u don't like it- don't support it. It is not "hurting" anyone more than when I see the self proclaimed "America's team" with a star next to it. I think it's bs so I root for them to fail.
This crap has already gone on to far- it wasn't want to be offensive hence the native American head coach we had when moving from Boston to dc and the name changed.
Many natives would be offended if it DID change!
What about the Natives who take pride in and support the name? Only 90%+ of those who were polled by a third party UN biased study..??
What gets me fired up is that the chiefs braevs and all redskin teams will be next, essentially erasing the natives from sports.. than the domino effect of Vikings raiders bucks etc following shortly after... when does it stop? When there is no nickname no mascot no logo? Root for the Washington's. Oh wait the burgundy and gold will hurt someone's eyes.. than what?

There is Waaaay to many freedoms being questioned to let this happen. People are suddenly offended because they are told they should be... even tho their grand parent weren't when it originally took place? Social media gives to many people a soap box for their time in the lime light. Changing the name can't happen by force, only by choice and Danny boy ain't gonna choose to do so.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:29 am

riggofan wrote:I've written many times here that I don't care if they change the name or not. I just find most supporters' arguments for the name as whiny and childish as Harry Reid's arguments against it.

Saying the name isn't intended to offend anyone and the vast majority of Indians are not only not offended but are fine with the name is "whiny and childish." What a load. You just want to play both sides. You point to the dictionary definition and say it's racist, focus your argument on the small percent of Indians who don't like it, call us whiny and childish for defending the name. Hey guys, it's fine if I bash you, I'm OK with your position I'm bashing you for and I don't care about the name, which I'm bashing you for defending. Your position is ridiculous, just shift your alliance to the Giants. I'm guessing mythological creatures won't offend anyone, though with the PC crowd you can never be positive, they are very good at being offended.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:37 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Yea Bro, it's not my fight to make yuh know?
Growing up my entire life I've NEVER known the term to be offensive. If you say to me "Redskins", I'm thinking of the football team. However I'm not a Native American so I'll gladly leave that fight up to them.. those that oppose it, and those that embrace it.
I personally just think it's funny that a state of the USA means "Red Skins" and the Native Americans there embrace it and there's even a movie theater in that state that's called "Redskins".
If the entire USA changes all "Redskins" to something else, I'll shut up and roll with it.. but I'm STILL not going to stop calling my team the Redskins.
I don't like a certain lifestyle of people so I stay away from Dupont Circle.. I won't go there nor will I support any establishments there because to me if I do, I will feel like a big hypocrite.

There are also multiple Indian schools that use the name "Redskins" as their mascot.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
riggofan wrote:I've written many times here that I don't care if they change the name or not. I just find most supporters' arguments for the name as whiny and childish as Harry Reid's arguments against it.

Saying the name isn't intended to offend anyone and the vast majority of Indians are not only not offended but are fine with the name is "whiny and childish." What a load. You just want to play both sides. You point to the dictionary definition and say it's racist, focus your argument on the small percent of Indians who don't like it, call us whiny and childish for defending the name. Hey guys, it's fine if I bash you, I'm OK with your position I'm bashing you for and I don't care about the name, which I'm bashing you for defending. Your position is ridiculous, just shift your alliance to the Giants. I'm guessing mythological creatures won't offend anyone, though with the PC crowd you can never be positive, they are very good at being offended.

yawn.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:47 am

riggofan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

yawn.

At least the PC crowd commits to a position, they don't call us whiny and childish while saying they aren't actually bothered by the name but it's offensive and a racial slur...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football