Zach Hocker - Kicker

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
kazoo

Re: Zach Hocker - Kicker

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:38 am

fredp45 wrote:I wasn't implying we should be talking about the punter - or the offensive line -- in this thread.

Just surprised there's been so much discussion about the kicker but very little has been said "anywhere" about our no name punters.

And....I don't believe Kai was as big a problem as our punter (and coverage units). Was very surprised (as I'm sure all of you were) that we drafted a kicker AND not a punter.

OK, fair enough. You know you could start a thread about our punter yourself though.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:43 pm

fredp45 wrote:I wasn't implying we should be talking about the punter - or the offensive line -- in this thread.

Just surprised there's been so much discussion about the kicker but very little has been said "anywhere" about our no name punters.

And....I don't believe Kai was as big a problem as our punter (and coverage units). Was very surprised (as I'm sure all of you were) that we drafted a kicker AND not a punter.

With the last of out picks in the last round... NO pick would surprise me.
I wasn't surprised at the pick Kai has been a liability on KOs. I wish I could forget the failed kicks to the corner of the endzone that went Ob giving the other team the ball on our 40 and killing th field position battle instantly.

Fwiw like I said.. what if the kicker we drafted IS the punter?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:14 am

Generally, there are two people you don't want to be in an NFL locker room during training camp: A rookie or a kicker. Zach Hocker is proof of what happens when you're both.

The seventh-round pick out of Arkansas showed up at the Redskins' team skit this week and was supposed to do something funny. Hocker couldn't think of anything funny, so he thought of something else, "I'll cut my hair however you want to cut it," Hocker told his teammates, via ESPN.com.

That ill-advised statement led to the photo you see at the top of the page from CSN Washington's Tarik El-Bashir.

Hocker was also nice enough to tweet out a side, profile view of his haircut.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Haha good ish!
I'd like to be a fly on the wall during the teams "skits"
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Coach said that the current situation is neck and neck aswell as him being confident in rolling with either kicker... with that said if we see more of the same (hocker getting more touch backs and equal fgs save the Forbath 2 misses one being replayed and made [one being a terribly short miss on like a 43 yardee]) wouldnt we be smarter to go with the rookie and save some coin? Or is it similar pay for a rook and or not count against our cap being one of the lower salaries? Just a thought, if we save dollars it makes even more sense..

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:07 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Coach said that the current situation is neck and neck aswell as him being confident in rolling with either kicker... with that said if we see more of the same (hocker getting more touch backs and equal fgs save the Forbath 2 misses one being replayed and made [one being a terribly short miss on like a 43 yardee]) wouldnt we be smarter to go with the rookie and save some coin? Or is it similar pay for a rook and or not count against our cap being one of the lower salaries? Just a thought, if we save dollars it makes even more sense..

Give me Hocker. The coaches have been asking him to kick pop-ups to the goal line so coverage teams can get practice. He will mostly be booming touch backs in real games ... Assuming we can score a little bit on offense. I was a little disappointed they didn't give him a chance for a 58 yard or against the Ravens.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 am

DarthMonk wrote:I was a little disappointed they didn't give him a chance for a 58 yard or against the Ravens.

Voice recognition?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I was a little disappointed they didn't give him a chance for a 58 yard or against the Ravens.

Voice recognition?

...per hops DM want in us to be live he had such in bread apple tap Molly gee?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Deadskins wrote:

Voice recognition?

:up:

... or lack thereof.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm

I have seen bits and pieces of the preseason games thus far (flipping back and forth between the Skins and Orioles) and have missed most of the kick offs. Does Hocker have a clear advantage on kick offs as opposed to Forbath? If so, Hocker gets the job, IMO.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:57 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I have seen bits and pieces of the preseason games thus far (flipping back and forth between the Skins and Orioles) and have missed most of the kick offs. Does Hocker have a clear advantage on kick offs as opposed to Forbath? If so, Hocker gets the job, IMO.

Absolutely. He was Mr. Touchback until the coaches asked for goal line pop ups so we could practice coverage.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:35 pm

And the alternative has been dreadful.. another kickoff that goes OB this season and ill lose it. That alone gives Hocker the preseason win imo.

For anyone to even report "neck and neck" blows my mind... Kai killed himself week one didnt he?
If the ob KO wasnt bad enough he missed two Fg attempts... yes he made the do over on one due to a penalty... but the 43 or 48 yard miss was charles barkley turrable! He barely even made it to the damn endzone! No idea what happened there.
Hocker seems to be the more "athletic" of the two..
Week one he also stopped a possible return for Td and forced a turn over! Yea we had to rekick due to penalty but the play still happened nonetheless.
Has Hocker even missed anything?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:34 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:And the alternative has been dreadful.. another kickoff that goes OB this season and ill lose it. That alone gives Hocker the preseason win imo.

For anyone to even report "neck and neck" blows my mind... Kai killed himself week one didnt he?
If the ob KO wasnt bad enough he missed two Fg attempts... yes he made the do over on one due to a penalty... but the 43 or 48 yard miss was charles barkley turrable! He barely even made it to the damn endzone! No idea what happened there.
Week one he also stopped a possible return for Td and forced a turn over! Yea we had to rekick due to penalty but the play still happened nonetheless.

Yup... I've been thinking that Hocker is actually a football player who happens to be a very skilled kicker... an incredibly rare confluence, these days. I think I heard that he was a competent linebacker.

and, oh, yeah... he's reportedly an NFL quality punter, as well... not a bad deal, at all.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:And the alternative has been dreadful.. another kickoff that goes OB this season and ill lose it. That alone gives Hocker the preseason win imo.

Yup... I've been thinking that Hocker is actually a football player who happens to be a very skilled kicker... an incredibly rare confluence, these days. I think I heard that he was a competent linebacker.

No kidding?! I like him more then!
Dullass has had that at kicker... and Oaktown has a helluva athlete/football player as their punter- might be their best player overall on the entire roster!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Anybody have a clue what the team will do on Hocker v. Forbath? I sure as heck don't.

Bummed that Hocker missed that FG last night. I really appreciate that Kai has been a reliable kicker for us, but his kickoffs drive me crazy.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football