Tanard Jackson Reinstated

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Re: Tanard Jackson Reinstated

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 am

The Washington Redskins have terminated the contract of safety Tanard Jackson, according to the NFL’s daily transaction report.

The NFL earlier Tuesday afternoon reinstated Jackson, ending a suspension that lasted two seasons. Jackson in 2012 received an indefinite suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Redskins general manager Bruce Allen on Tuesday had remained noncommittal on Jackson’s future despite his reinstatement.

“He’s been conditionally reinstated by the NFL,” Allen said, “and later today, he’ll be taking his physical exam, and if he meets all of those conditions that the NFL has laid out for him, and after we meet with him, we might give him a chance. Yes.”

Allen also had said that Jackson’s reinstatement would not impact Washington’s draft plans.

Just less than five hours later, the report of Jackson’s release came out.

The reasons for the termination of Jackson’s contract were not immediately known.

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneer signed a one-year deal with Washington in 2012 but never played beyond that preseason. The Redskins retained his rights despite the suspension.

He failed multiple drug tests and served multiple suspensions and had played only one season in the past four years.

Update, 6:40 p.m.:

Jackson’s representatives were in contact with other teams and he could make a decision as soon as Wednesday afternoon, a person familiar with the situation said early Tuesday evening.

Two people familiar with the situation said that the termination of Jackson’s contract had nothing to do with him failing a physical. Instead, it was believed to be contract related. Both people, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that a return to the Redskins remained possible for Jackson.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... -contract/
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:If anyone thinks we held on to him this long just to cut him, and he is still starter material needs a reality check. He is either no where near football shape, or we are working a deal that fits the risk... not sure what everyone is getting so worked up about, he hasn't even played one snap in B&G!!!

I'm not sure about the "we held on to him" part of your comment. I could be wrong, but I don't think we could really do anything with him one way or the other while he was suspended, could we? Either that or it was one of those deals where there was no point in making a decision on him until he was reinstated.

Sounds like the release was done for contract reasons. A guy who has been out of football for two years on a drug suspension is clearly not worth anything more than the league minimum. Your point about him not being in football shape is right on and probably a little understated.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed May 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Sorry fellas.. I was more replying to the people saying "ha and we cut the bum" and some of the people replying on the actual articles online.. so I guess my post wasnt really directed at anyone here per say.. just in general for readers to get my point about people who are over reacting to the news we cut him..

Fwiw he is a redskin... again.

Dadadadadaaaaa dats all folks!!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed May 07, 2014 5:42 pm

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:If anyone thinks we held on to him this long just to cut him, and he is still starter material needs a reality check. He is either no where near football shape, or we are working a deal that fits the risk... not sure what everyone is getting so worked up about, he hasn't even played one snap in B&G!!!

I'm not sure about the "we held on to him" part of your comment. I could be wrong, but I don't think we could really do anything with him one way or the other while he was suspended, could we? Either that or it was one of those deals where there was no point in making a decision on him until he was reinstated.

Sounds like the release was done for contract reasons. A guy who has been out of football for two years on a drug suspension is clearly not worth anything more than the league minimum. Your point about him not being in football shape is right on and probably a little understated.

Its my understanding that we held on to his "rights" but we could have cut him the day she news broke about his suspension and gave up those rights.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm

He's baaaaaaaack

Been re-signed, with a "friendlier" deal...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 08, 2014 6:25 am

I'm glad we resigned him as we could use the help. A team this desperate cannot afford to turn anyone away. He doesn't even need to be back to full capacity by Sept because Clark will start the season. But if something happens, he'll be a solid player to rely on if his head is on straight.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu May 08, 2014 6:41 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm glad we resigned him as we could use the help. A team this desperate cannot afford to turn anyone away. He doesn't even need to be back to full capacity by Sept because Clark will start the season. But if something happens, he'll be a solid player to rely on if his head is on straight.

I hope you are right, but man, this guy hasn't played football in a long time. He can try to shake off the dust and get back into it, but in a game with such small margins I think the odds are unfortunately stacked against him.

That said, I will be pulling for him.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm glad we resigned him as we could use the help. A team this desperate cannot afford to turn anyone away. He doesn't even need to be back to full capacity by Sept because Clark will start the season. But if something happens, he'll be a solid player to rely on if his head is on straight.

I hope you are right, but man, this guy hasn't played football in a long time. He can try to shake off the dust and get back into it, but in a game with such small margins I think the odds are unfortunately stacked against him.

Me too. Does seem like long odds against him, but like Chris said no doubt we could use the help.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 08, 2014 11:29 am

I certainly hope that this creates significan safety depth... but two things pop to the top of my mind...
1: It has to be awfully difficult remaining motivated to stay in football condition for over two years... he passed his physical, but that doesn't guarantee that he won't have a lot of work to do just to get back into prime shape.
2: The NFL is FAST! Most players age within the game... and, as a result, they are able to make adjustments to their games as they, inevitably, loose a bit of their physical edge. Jackson hasn't had that opportunity... mentally, he probably sees himself as every bit as fast and quick as he was in 2011. Expect this to complicate his re-adjustment to the speed of the game.

All in all, though, I think this was a very good development for the Redskins. It certaily makes finding a safety in the draft a little less important.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

- The odds are against him but it has been done before. Mike Vick had a helluva season after he served time.

- I also like that the team did two things, showed support towards a player with a problem AND protected itself at the same time.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:27 am

Anyone hear any news on Tanard? Is he in shape? Is he in the weight room?

If he's finally learned a NFL career is short and puts his passion back into football we have a quality starting caliber safety. In fact, i believe we'd have both of next years starting safeties as back ups to start this season -- Tanard & Phillip Thomas.

Let's all hope he's committed to playing and not partying!!!

The Skins need and deserve another good story/surprise.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm

fredp45 wrote:Anyone hear any news on Tanard? Is he in shape? Is he in the weight room?

If he's finally learned a NFL career is short and puts his passion back into football we have a quality starting caliber safety. In fact, i believe we'd have both of next years starting safeties as back ups to start this season -- Tanard & Phillip Thomas.

He has been working diligently in the hopes of being reinstated, but who knows. I'm sure we'll start hearing things once training camp hits.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
fredp45 wrote:Anyone hear any news on Tanard? Is he in shape? Is he in the weight room?

He has been working diligently in the hopes of being reinstated, but who knows. I'm sure we'll start hearing things once training camp hits.

I don't count on anything, I just put Tanard in the "it will be a pleasant surprise if anything useful comes out of this" category.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:16 am

Agreed. There's nowhere else to put Tanard right now. 2 years is a long time.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun May 25, 2014 6:46 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote: I just put Tanard in the "it will be a pleasant surprise if anything useful comes out of this" category.

:up: This...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football