Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4826
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby riggofan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:48 am

RayNAustin wrote:Given the style of play RG3 is known for which puts him at risk, the #2 is a key spot, and consideration must be given to carrying 3 QB's on the roster for the same reason ... if Robert goes down ... even with a minor injury, you need that #3, because he could quickly become #2.


Yeah I have been wondering about that too. I think CLL is right about McCoy being a camp arm, but for the reasons you wrote we're probably more likely than most teams to carry three QBs on the final roster.

Hog
Posts: 2392
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:35 pm


^^^^
Posts: 2276
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: The Moon

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby Punu » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:36 pm

I really like McCoy being a part of our depth. I'm huge on having depth at QB, RB and DB. That being said I'd put QB at the number concern and RG3, Cousins and McCoy will definitely help me sleep better at night when september hits. :D
Skins Crazy... I get it from my pops

Don't matter where you are.... YOUR IN REDSKINS COUNTRY!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16193
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby Deadskins » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Punu wrote:I really like McCoy being a part of our depth. I'm huge on having depth at QB, RB and DB. That being said I'd put QB at the number concern and RG3, Cousins and McCoy will definitely help me sleep better at night when september hits. :D


DING DING DING DING

****************

Punu sighting!

****************
:shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||
Posts: 4325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Not too crazy about the pick up. Anybody who couldnt suit up for a National Championship I question his heart. He looked healthy on the sidelines while he was at Texas yet did not play.

The only thing that makes me happy about this signing is that it looks like we are preparing to trade Kirk for a draft pick or player.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13490
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Not too crazy about the pick up. Anybody who couldnt suit up for a National Championship I question his heart. He looked healthy on the sidelines while he was at Texas yet did not play.
The only thing that makes me happy about this signing is that it looks like we are preparing to trade Kirk for a draft pick or player.


I don't see that at all - we need Griffin and Cousins - I do not see this pick up as anything more than a need for a 3rd QB ... at this time

what Colt did in the past is not at all relevant, .. all that matters is what he might contribute here - we need 3 QBs & we're NOT trading Cousins .... at this time
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

|||
Posts: 4325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Id love to have RG3 and Cousins forever on our team. I just dont see that happening. Eventually Kirk is going to want to be a starter. You just cant have two starting QBs on your roster for very long. You have to eventually choose one of them. That decision will happen when Kirks contract comes up or if a team offers us a high draft choice for Kirk.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13490
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:54 pm

I just don't see Kirk Cousins being traded away at this time - maybe next season but not before this season

having a really good back up QB is much more important than adding 1 good player

we are not a player or 2 away from being a playoff contender - these FO guys are building for the future not just to make the team better ASAP

Colt was not brought in because we might get a great offer for Kirk - he's a #3 QB and is not likely to be here after the pre season unless something unforeseen happens
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

|||
Posts: 4325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:33 am

SkinsJock wrote:I just don't see Kirk Cousins being traded away at this time - maybe next season but not before this season

having a really good back up QB is much more important than adding 1 good player

we are not a player or 2 away from being a playoff contender - these FO guys are building for the future not just to make the team better ASAP

Colt was not brought in because we might get a great offer for Kirk - he's a #3 QB and is not likely to be here after the pre season unless something unforeseen happens


You know SkinsJock how can you make such an assumption? You have to wait until the season starts and see if Kirk is still on the Roster by then. You never know the Skins may get an offer for Kirk? Just saying...
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13490
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 am

I'm not 'assuming' anything ...

1 having a really good back up QB is very important to the franchise

2 Colt McCoy is not here as a possible #2 QB
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4826
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 am

HEROHAMO wrote:You know SkinsJock how can you make such an assumption? You have to wait until the season starts and see if Kirk is still on the Roster by then. You never know the Skins may get an offer for Kirk? Just saying...


I don't really get your argument, man. Its not an assumption on his part at all. SkinsJock is completely right that Colt McCoy was not brought in here BECAUSE we might get an offer for Cousins. We needed a 3rd QB in any case. Why does that have to have anything to do with possible trades for Cousins?

I completely agree with you that we may get an offer for Cousins this year. Who knows? But whether or not that happens, the team still needs a third QB for camp this year, and McCoy is the guy they've signed.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13490
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am

it's possible that Cousins could get traded but I really don't see that happening and as has been pointed out Colt McCoy was not brought in as a possible #2

if they do trade Cousins they are going to have to find a #2 QB

Cousins might not be a Redskin QB for much longer but I'd be surprised if he's not here this season
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Site Admin
Posts: 9282
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:34 am
Location: London, Ontario

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby BossHog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm

*flashes in for a brief message board appearance*

Why would the Redskins bring in Colt Mccoy, to shop Kirk Cousins, and then if they are successful, go get a number two?

That seems silly to me.

Look, if you are on the side that they brought Colt McCoy in to allow them to allow for a trade of Kirk Cousins if it arises, you CAN'T say with any certainty that they didn't bring Colt McCoy in to be the second QB, not in my opinion. They don't likely want to go through the rigamarole of finding another number two even later in the offseason process, if they DO get rid of Cousins. IMO, they're going to have McCoy be the backup if that happens.

And they'll likely only move Cousins for a second or 3rd round pick, so they can grab a quarterback that is serviceable there or anywhere else in the draft for a 'camp arm', so that isn't ALL Colt McCoy was brought in to be either.

I think the truth of it is, that you are ALL right. :)

1) Colt McCoy WAS brought in to be 'an arm' at camp.

2) An arm that is significant enough, that he CAN fill the number two role, if a good deal for Cousins pops up. He has career NFL starts under his belt - he qualifies, I assure you. You may not think the world of it, but there isn't much to suggest that he's much less capable than Kirk Cousins, is there?

3) if they don't get a deal, and they keep Cousins, not only do they have an arm at camp, but they have a soft enough contract that Colt can fill the clipboard carrying 3rd QB role. This guy isn't here to disappear either, so he has something to prove - even if its just that he has a good attitude, a good work ethic, and the desire to try and keep working for a shot... here OR somewhere else.

Cousins is a decent backup for sure - so i am sure that the Redskins will want to see a pretty high draft pick to run the risk of going in another direction at backup quarterback - after all, quarterback number one DID have pretty significant knee surgery.

Just one more thing to think about... if you concede that the backup in Washington IS more significant because of Bob's injury - then how do you not also at least think about the fact that another coach may not share the Shanahan philosophy of just two quarterbacks on the roster? After all - it's a rough game out there. if Gruden differs in that, and that alone - it's justification for Colt McCoy being signed JUST TO BE THE NUMBER THREE GUY.

So you see... maybe you can't figure out which one of you is correct because you're trying too hard to be the one who is "right". Personally, i think there's an element of truth to all of the scenarios. And if that weren't true, then it wouldn't create any extra "market value" for Cousins, because the other teams GMs would just see McCoy as window dressing.

That's what makes the Colt McCoy signing such an excellent one, in my opinion.

2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:06 pm

I agree on all accounts Boss!!
Thanks for posting, i know u are busy and lerk in the shadows.. and hopefully getting a laugh or two from our silly banter.

One stick I feel needs to be added to tho fire...

McCoy doesn't get enough credit imo. He had a terrible supporting cast, and even worse leadership. He reminds me of Campbell- has the talent but was put in an impossible situation. I think he still has what it takes to be serviceable, certainly in a back up role.

Another thought we need to consider- if we don't dish Cousins out now, we very well could lose that chance at the end of the season when FA hits...

Last point is RGIII has been praised as the hardest working player by nearly every coach who has had an opportunity to speak to it... the kid isn't nearly as frail as some of y'all like to suggest. He takes UN needed risks Ya... he tries to do to much, sure.. but we've added some pieces to help him distribute the load, and in turn less will be required for him to be successful in winning.

Jus my thoughts on the situation; trade him while you can get something for him, roll w Griff/ McCoy, and call it good!!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13490
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I get what BH is getting at and I agree, a little - I just can't see these guys trading a really good back up QB UNLESS it's a V high pick
I don't think they brought in McCoy for that reason - he's needed as another QB at this time

I understand that we're not getting anything for Cousins after this season - I'll let the FO guys figure that out ...

ACTUALLY - we could trade Cousins - then we're going to need another QB and I don't think that's happening

Colt is here and he'll get a shot at proving he's a back up QB - it could happen
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football