Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am

Hog

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 am

McCoy spent last season with the San Francisco 49ers as a backup behind Colin Kaepernick. He spent his previous three NFL seasons with the Cleveland Browns, who selected him in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He has a 6-15 career record as a starter, all of them coming with the Browns.

McCoy's place on the Redskins landscape is unclear. The team has an established starter in Robert Griffin III and locked-in backup in Kirk Cousins. The Redskins reportedly were open to trading Cousins if they could get a second-round pick in return, though no team has surfaced willing to meet that price.

That makes McCoy a third-stringer at this point, making his roster spot far from certain.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm

I don't consider this to be huge news except for the fact McCoy is considered a #2 by most in the NFL ---- which means it is likely our FO will be shopping around Cousins during the draft and wanted to have someone in place if a deal were made for Cousins. I'm confident this is the case merely due to consistency ----- I don't agree with moving Cousins and haven't agreed with most of what the FO has done this offseason.......

It is becoming more and more apparent that Danny is back in the drivers seat. God help us all.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:34 pm

markshark84 wrote:It is becoming more and more apparent that Danny is back in the drivers seat.

Not sure where you're getting that. DJax?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Peace Cousins! Wish you the best of luck! Hello draft picks?!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Pre-draft. Not sure how the weaknesses may have improved since then.

6-3, 215

Strengths:
Very athletic
Mobile
Experienced
Short and deep range accuracy
Quick release
Gets rid of football quickly
Makes quick decisions
Good pocket awareness
Crafty with football in hands
Leader with good character

Weaknesses:
Average frame
Offensive system exaggerate strengths, masks weaknesses
Mobility doesn't translate to NFL with zone reads and scripted runs
Weak arm
Aims ball and it doesn't look natural; passive thrower
Absolutely no stick throws (18-yard deep out, curl, dig, etc.)
Footwork needs a ton of work
Doesn't take many hits
Never operated under center
Stares down receivers
Floats deep ball
Limited upside
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:01 pm

markshark84 wrote: -snipped-
It is becoming more and more apparent that Danny is back in the drivers seat. God help us all.

Interesting. Wonder if anyone else has another perspective, perhaps someone with access to the team?

John Keim wrote: 2. While many want to portray this as a typical Dan Snyder signing, the sense I got this week is that the organization was all-in and the desire did not just derive from the owner. The coaches wanted receiver DeSean Jackson, too. In the past Snyder steered the ship and pushed for players maybe others did not want. That's not the case here.
- They were aggressive and that's a Snyder trademark, but that clearly was a good thing in this situation. The Redskins also knew if Jackson left the chances of him signing here would go way down. The aggressive tone begins with Snyder, but there was a sense of urgency by many, including the player.

-I mentioned to one person in the organization about Snyder being aggressive in this pursuit to get it done and his response was, "This is on Bruce [Allen]." But you also can't dismiss the idea that if the team wants a guy, then Snyder will push hard to close. As he should. But this was a group effort to lure Jackson, from Griffin to DeAngelo Hall to coach Jay Gruden and the front office.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/6691/leftover-thoughts-desean-jackson

:hmm:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:It is becoming more and more apparent that Danny is back in the drivers seat.

Not sure where you're getting that. DJax?

March 31, 2014 Agreed to terms with S Ryan Clark.
March 28, 2014 Signed OL Mike McGlynn.
March 28, 2014 Re-signed CB E.J. Biggers to a one-year contract.
March 19, 2014 Signed LB Akeem Jordan.
March 18, 2014 Re-signed S Brandon Meriweather.
March 18, 2014 Signed CB Tracy Porter.
March 18, 2014 Signed DE Jason Hatcher, LB Darryl Sharpton and K Jake Rogers.
March 13, 2014 Signed DE Clifton Geathers.
March 12, 2014 Signed LB Adam Hayward.

Yeah, I'm not really sure which of these moves screams "Danny is in the drivers seat". We basically signed one "name" guy with DJAX. And Jackson is 27 years old, not exactly the same as signing 37 year old Bruce Smith. Not to mention we signed him to a fairly sane deal by all accounts.

I would add that we also brought in a lot of guys over the past month who we DIDN'T sign. That's pretty much the exact opposite of the old Snyder M.O.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:13 pm

emoses14 wrote:Interesting. Wonder if anyone else has another perspective, perhaps someone with access to the team?

lol.

Not the first I've heard that opinion though, and its hard to blame anybody for not trusting Snyder. I heard radio guys yesterday opining that Snyder pushed for Desean Jackson because he's getting ready to send out the season ticket renewals!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:04 pm

riggofan wrote:Let the QB controversy begin!

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/451 ... 12/photo/1

My prediction is yes.... There will be people that will call for him the minute Robert has a bad game. The minute this happens and Colt does ok they will say see!!!! Robert sucks and Colt is the real deal. The minute he has a bad game then they will say it was because everyone else had a bad game. I know Robert is the real deal with the intangibles. People love a real QB controversy
when none really exist in this town. You can bring this thread back up if we are ever unfortunate enough to endure it.

Postby Pulled Pork » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:00 pm

There is always the analogy of: "if it looks like...., smells like...., it must be....". Dan Snyder is still the owner of the Washington Redskins. He still has input in what is going on! He is Dan Snyder. But, people do learn from mistakes and change. DeSean Jackson is not is not Fat Albert. Ryan Clark is not Neon Dion. Jason Hatcher is not Bruce Smith. Only question; is Jay Gruden Jim Zorn? Bruce Allen is the X factor. Hopefully, Dan has learned from mistakes and is listening to reason. It seems like that might be the case.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 pm

welcome to the site Pulled Pork, let's be very clear here ...

Dan Snyder is no longer making ANY player decisions like he used to - this franchise is now under the control and direction of the FO and coaching staff

Dan Snyder is letting these guys make all the 'on field' decisions and they are trying to build around our franchise QB - we're getting there :D
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 am

Colt McCoy is here for this reason and this reason only;

If a team does not get the QB they have earmarked in the draft for whatever reason, or if prior to the draft they change their opinion of the QB they intended to bring in, then they will try and bring in a starting calibre QB from elsewhere. Kirk Cousins may suddenly be worth a lot more to a team then than he is right now.

If that is the case and they offer something that appeals to the FO, a 2nd round pick for example, then they will be in a position to let Capt Kirk go and have a backup in Colt who has been there since the start of OTAs (which start Monday). They wont have to do last minute searching themselves for a backup.

If none of the above happens then Colt will be cut before the season begins. Colt is a sensible insurance policy in the event of Kirk being traded. The team will not openly be looking for a trade partner as that will immediately drop his value to below what they want to get in return. If nobody calls then he stays.

Simples!
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:51 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Colt McCoy is here for this reason and this reason only;

If a team does not get the QB they have earmarked in the draft for whatever reason, or if prior to the draft they change their opinion of the QB they intended to bring in, then they will try and bring in a starting calibre QB from elsewhere. Kirk Cousins may suddenly be worth a lot more to a team then than he is right now.

If that is the case and they offer something that appeals to the FO, a 2nd round pick for example, then they will be in a position to let Capt Kirk go and have a backup in Colt who has been there since the start of OTAs (which start Monday). They wont have to do last minute searching themselves for a backup.

If none of the above happens then Colt will be cut before the season begins. Colt is a sensible insurance policy in the event of Kirk being traded. The team will not openly be looking for a trade partner as that will immediately drop his value to below what they want to get in return. If nobody calls then he stays.

Simples!

This was exactly my thought when I first heard of this... It is the hedge, in the event that a team decides that it really needs Kirk Cousins.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 am

I'm confused. When did dan Snyder begin planning ahead from a rational football perspective? He is still running the show the exact same way he always has, after all.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football