Roy Helu - RB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
ch1

Re: Roy Helu - RB

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Neo wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Roy Helu - RB - Redskins

CSN Washington doesn't expect Roy Helu to cut into Alfred Morris' workload in 2014.
Helu had only 62 carries as the Redskins' third-down back this past season. He doesn't project for a major role in the running game behind Morris, though new coach Jay Gruden could get him more involved after using a two-back system with the Bengals last year. Washington is expected to be more of a pass-balanced offense under Gruden, which should increase Helu's snaps. Helu is set to make just $645,000 in the final year of his contract and will return as the clear-cut No. 2 back.

Source: CSN Washington Feb 7 - 7:47 PM

I'm bringing this back because I want to see what most everyone thinks here. Love Morris as a running back. Helu utilized under Gruden and healthy of course, is going to stretch chains on 3rd downs. Apparently he will figure out what they do best. Am I the onlyone getting excited here?

Heck no brother...this is the most excited I've been since we won the East in 2012! I'd love to see more of Helu coming out the back field for quick routes.

Helu is still fast, and we haven't truly seen what C. Thompson can do yet coming out of the back field (short passes). So if, per say, we get a resurgence of Helu, I'd like for Gruden to make Thompson Helu's successor (never know what Helu's value might go up to after this season).

C. Thompson did nothing last year to impress anyone. He deserved to be benched. Doesn't have anything but speed and that's not enough.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 pm

In his defense he didn't get a whole lot of opportunities, and when he was in it was an obvious run situation. I think he muffed a punt too? But that's to be expected from a rook.
We all know how Shanny and his dog house works, maybe he impresses the new staff and we can get something for Helu. I like Helu but it's obvious he isn't as durable as Morris.. he can however carry the load. A team in need might make us a deal, in which case we could have little to no drop off w Thompson and Seastrunk as the change of page/ 3rd down back role.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:In his defense he didn't get a whole lot of opportunities, and when he was in it was an obvious run situation. I think he muffed a punt too? But that's to be expected from a rook.
We all know how Shanny and his dog house works, maybe he impresses the new staff and we can get something for Helu. I like Helu but it's obvious he isn't as durable as Morris.. he can however carry the load. A team in need might make us a deal, in which case we could have little to no drop off w Thompson and Seastrunk as the change of page/ 3rd down back role.

Seriously? I think Thompson handled the ball about 5 times, and put it on the ground 3 times. I'll have no confidence until he proves it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Was it that bad?? Daaayum.. I thought he did well in preseason than muffed a punt or two... don't recall really seeing much of him tho
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 pm

The Washington Post expects Roy Helu to remain the Redskins' third-down back.

Reporter Mike Jones had previously called the position "unsettled," but now believes Helu will hold off Chris Thompson, Evan Royster and Lache Seastrunk.
This has been our expectation all along.

An all-purpose back who has settled in as one of the league's better backups, Helu is worth a late fantasy pick.

Source: Washington Post Aug 5 - 9:51 PM

Let's not forget that Helu runs a 4.42, has good burst through the hole, is elusive, and does not go down on first contact:

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Coach Jay Gruden confirmed Roy Helu is the favorite to remain Washington's third-down back.

Helu was PFF's No. 3 running back in pass protection last season, and a top-five pass-protecting back in 2011 as a rookie.

"I feel most confident with him on third down other than Alfred," Gruden said. "[Lache] Seastrunk has got a little way to go and Silas Redd's doing a much better job coming in here."

Source: ESPN.com Aug 16 - 2:20 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Helu does seem like the best of a mediocre bunch of backups we've had the last few years, but he can't stay healthy. It would be nice if Seastrunk is the next Morris, but we're a long, long way from being able to believe that.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football