Brian Orakpo - LB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Brian Orakpo - LB

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 am

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... an-orakpo/

“I have to prove myself again, huh?” Orakpo said. “I don’t have to prove myself to anybody. I’m already proven in this league. I don’t have to prove anything to anybody. That goes for fans, that goes for media. Anybody. I’m well-proven in this league. If it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out, but I don’t have to prove anything to anybody.”

I understand Rak being annoyed by the question about having to prove himself, but I'm not sure I really agree with him. I think he's proved that he's a capable starter in the league, but has he really proved he deserves to be paid like an elite pass rusher?

Don't get me wrong btw. I'm an Orakpo fan. I think with some better players around him on the defense, he can probably do more than we've seen from him so far.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:42 am

not a big deal - Brian knows what it takes to get what he wants and the Redskins will pay him if he does that
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:50 am

SkinsJock wrote:not a big deal - Brian knows what it takes to get what he wants and the Redskins will pay him if he does that

You mean he knows he has to "prove it" this year? :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:not a big deal - Brian knows what it takes to get what he wants and the Redskins will pay him if he does that

You mean he knows he has to "prove it" this year? :)

IMO - these guys have to 'prove they're worth it' each and every play :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Now that I think of it. I have been pretty hard on Rak. But he has been solid. I should be thankful that we have two studs at OLB. So I am changing my attitude towards him.

Rak has gotten close to ten sacks every season he has been healthy enough to play. We just all want to see Rak fulfill his potential. We need more pressure from the DLine and ILBs as well. Most of the time I see Rak have to cover a huge hole meaning the DE is getting blown out. If the DE held his ground the hole would be much smaller thus less ground for Rak to contain. Either way Rak does tend to overpursue at times but he still gets in the backfield when he wants to. But against the run overall if our Dline improves we will see Rak improve against the run as well.

So yup I am glad we have Rak. I just want to see Rak become one of the leages top three rushers. Instead of top ten which he is now.
Last edited by HEROHAMO on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 am

riggofan wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/15/no-long-term-deal-likely-for-brian-orakpo/

“I have to prove myself again, huh?” Orakpo said. “I don’t have to prove myself to anybody. I’m already proven in this league. I don’t have to prove anything to anybody. That goes for fans, that goes for media. Anybody. I’m well-proven in this league. If it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out, but I don’t have to prove anything to anybody.”

I understand Rak being annoyed by the question about having to prove himself, but I'm not sure I really agree with him. I think he's proved that he's a capable starter in the league, but has he really proved he deserves to be paid like an elite pass rusher?

Don't get me wrong btw. I'm an Orakpo fan. I think with some better players around him on the defense, he can probably do more than we've seen from him so far.

Does he have to prove his talent? - No

Does he need to prove he can stay healthy and deliver at an elite level year in and year out so we can tie up big, long term money to him? - Yes
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 am

Orakpo has played 5 years in the NFL. He's played in 16, 15, 16, 2 and 15 games. 2012 was the torn pec after which he played an entire season. Health is not an issue for him. He's had 11, 8,9,1 and 10 sacks in those same years. I agree that the (Only) thing he has to prove is that he's an "elite" level backer for that elite long term money. He's already proven he's in whatever category is just under "elite".
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:04 pm

emoses14 wrote:I agree that the (Only) thing he has to prove is that he's an "elite" level backer for that elite long term money. He's already proven he's in whatever category is just under "elite".

Totally agree. And it may not even be fair to him that he has shown as much as he has playing on a defense that hasn't given him a lot of help.

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:38 pm

The key to Rak getting more sacks is for him to rush the QB more.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football