Robert Griffin Next Year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Robert Griffin Next Year

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 pm

riggofan wrote:
Briles on RG III: Baylor coach Art Briles watched his former quarterback, Robert Griffin III, work out earlier this week. He saw a guy he used to see with regularity. "I think it's as fresh and uplifting as I've seen him in a long time quite honestly," Briles said on the SiriusXM Blitz Wednesday via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. "The thing about ACLs: I've always thought they take a complete year to get over. And I think he rushed himself a little bit, just because that's the way Robert is. He's always going to be determined to do more than is humanly possible."

Briles' prediction? "So I think this year, I do think we'll see a very healthy RG III. I think we're gonna see a guy that's happy playing the game, that has a fire and attitude that you need to have a chance to be successful, because that's who he is."

Revisiting Week 1 2013: Steinberg also wrote about former Redskin Chris Cooley saying that Griffin should not have started the 2013 opener. It wasn't because of Griffin's health, but rather his readiness. Griffin was cleared by doctors and was ready physically. But it's clear in hindsight he was not prepared to play in an NFL game. Mike Shanahan did a bad job of managing Griffin, from not pulling him in the Seattle game despite his gut feeling to do so and to being afraid of how his moves were perceived by the young quarterback. If you have a conviction on something, do it. Instead, Shanahan did not and instead we got the mess of last December.

This
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:45 am

DarthMonk wrote:This

That
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby CharlesHurley » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:05 pm

I really think RG3 is going to comeback in a big way this year. As long as he can learn to slide I believe he'll show glimpses of the 2012 season.

Check out this video https://vimeo.com/hurleymontages/redskins2014hypevideo

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 am

If his leg is healthy, really healthy, than I expect Griffin will be able to backyard ball his way to a .500 record. Maybe Gruden will be able to get him to do more than play backyard ball but I doubt it.

The Skins have been a backyard offensive team because of Griffin and probably will remain so regardless of who coaches them IMO and it probably has effected thehabits of the receiving also. I doubt they run precise routes or have variable routes depending on the coverage they encounter, if a quarter can't read the defense, anticipate the open man and quickly toss to the open spot why bother?

RG3Firsts&1Second sells so much merchandise the envious Cleveland Browns drafted a mini me RGIII so they can play backyard ball and move carloads of jerseys too, they even hired the younger Shany to fire up the zone read nonsense. Who will get busted up first this year Griffin or Mansells a bunch of junk? It will be fun to watch. Griffin twice burned should know better and Gruden may restrain Griffin more than Shany does the Mansells, who seems programmed for shooting star immortality but who can account for the behavior of narcissists?
Last edited by OldSchool on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:25 pm

OldSchool wrote:-snip- It will be fun to watch. -snip- ... but who can account for the behavior of narcissists?

Indeed.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
OldSchool wrote:-snip- It will be fun to watch. -snip- ... but who can account for the behavior of narcissists?

Indeed.

I see what you did there... :-"
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

New coach Jay Gruden said he will take advantage of Robert Griffin III's skills as a runner.

Back in the 2011 draft, Gruden pushed for the Bengals to pass on Colin Kaepernick in favor of Andy Dalton because he wasn't "into the read-option stuff." He's since changed his tune. "I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish," Gruden said. "The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself." By the time Week 1 rolls around, Griffin will be roughly 21 months removed from his ACL surgery. He projects to record far more than the 37.6 rushing yards and zero rushing touchdowns he produced in 2013.

Source: SI.com Jan 20 - 10:04 AM

It will be interesting to see how these guys utilize RG3 - I don't think it will be quite the same as is intimated in this piece by SI

I think that the OC and Jay want to build RG3 into a far more complete QB that also has the speed and the talent to extend plays if he has to but certainly not at all like he was used in 2012
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

New coach Jay Gruden said he will take advantage of Robert Griffin III's skills as a runner.

Back in the 2011 draft, Gruden pushed for the Bengals to pass on Colin Kaepernick in favor of Andy Dalton because he wasn't "into the read-option stuff." He's since changed his tune. "I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish," Gruden said. "The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself." By the time Week 1 rolls around, Griffin will be roughly 21 months removed from his ACL surgery. He projects to record far more than the 37.6 rushing yards and zero rushing touchdowns he produced in 2013.

It will be interesting to see how these guys utilize RG3 - I don't think it will be quite the same as is intimated in this piece by SI

I think that the OC and Jay want to build RG3 into a far more complete QB that also has the speed and the talent to extend plays if he has to but certainly not at all like he was used in 2012
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

From what I saw last night, I'm seeing a lot more of a pocket passer role. He looked comfortable out there, even though his time was short. I love the check down option...I think that will keep his confidence up as there will likely always be someone open (as we've all heard a million times already).

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with this regime's handling of Bob...runs should be for emergency purposes and should be more productive with the other distractions on the field.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 pm

He needs to do less talking as I am not interested in what he thinks but how he preforms. A good model would be Tom Brady.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:04 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:He needs to do less talking as I am not interested in what he thinks but how he preforms. A good model would be Tom Brady.

So the media can torch him for being too stuck up to talk? Its a lose lose.. everyone wants an interview and he will be bashed for saying no commment!
Coach is straight up in his pressers and likewise Ronert has been. Its a non issue for me, as long as he continues to work hard and progress as a player. DC reporters thrive on Robert- why take food off their table if he isnt saying anything bad? Take a look at Nfl.com or espn... we are out of the headlines more then ever, especially under shanny.
-Also he has matured in front of the microphone so I dont agree with your assertion at all
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 am

SKINS#1 wrote:He needs to do less talking as I am not interested in what he thinks but how he preforms. A good model would be Tom Brady.

to each his own - we're going to see a different/better QB and he's going to continue to be 'exposed' - it's who he is and the NFL loves it

I think this combination of HC and OC plus the style of offense we're going to see is going to be great for the now and the future for RG3

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Its a 19 game season if you want to go to the SB, so the Skins need to deep six the zone read crap and teach Griffin how to thrive in the pocket if he is capable of learning. I am skeptical of his ability to learn and his willingness to learn, but if Griffin is to be more than option guy miscast in the NFL he needs to learn the pocket game.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:00 pm

That's a good model for what you are addressing.

My perfect model for Griff is Aaron Rogers - both in the way he plays QB as well as the way he plays the media.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:28 pm

OldSchool wrote:Its a 19 game season if you want to go to the SB, so the Skins need to deep six the zone read crap and teach Griffin how to thrive in the pocket if he is capable of learning. I am skeptical of his ability to learn and his willingness to learn, but if Griffin is to be more than option guy miscast in the NFL he needs to learn the pocket game.

Mostly agree. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism. The zone read should remain but be sprinkled rather than featured.

Here's a pretty good article in how the read option has progressed in the NFL post-Griff.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-barn ... on-scheme/

Excerpt:

What’s also interesting is seeing how the teams that ran the read-option most frequently in 2012 have been at the same task in 2013. Each of the five heaviest read-option users from 2012 are among the league’s seven most-frequent zone-read teams in 2013. And four of the five have had less success this season:

Code: Select all
            2012                                2013
Team    Snaps   Play%   Yd/Ply   Snaps   Play%   Yd/Ply
CAR      141       14.3%   6.3       53        11.8%   4.0
WAS     118       11.9%   6.2       37        7.6%     4.7
SEA      54        5.5%     7.1       60        12.2%   5.3
49R       41        4.2%     6.3       41        8.5%      3.3
JET       27        2.6%     3.9       41        7.7%     4.2

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,