Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Kory Lichtensteiger - G - Redskins

The Washington Post believes LG Kory Lichtensteiger "could have trouble" if the Redskins switch to a power-blocking scheme under new coach Jay Gruden.

Lichtensteiger is awfully undersized at 6-foot-2, 284 and would have to put on significant weight to make the switch from a zone-blocking scheme. The Post wonders if the Redskins may ask him to move to center. Lichtensteiger inked a five-year, $17.5 million deal with Washington last March. He graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 33 guard out of 81 qualifiers in 2013.

Source: Washington Post Jan 14 - 1:32 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Will is listed at 304 pounds and he was getting pushed up in the pocket. I wonder how much of Korys contract is guaranteed?

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Nobody but Trent Williams is irreplaceable on our line in my view.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Man, wish I was cool with Shanny. He could have pulled me off my couch and gave me a $3M/yr contract. Shanny took good care of his boys.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

swine

Postby RG3peat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Ever hear the saying "why fix something that isnt broken" The run game is great, why mess with it? Maybe a guy or 2 isnt as good in pass protect so you try and upgrade those. Personally I think there was more to it....the offensive formations were crap with TEs and sometimes WRs in the backfield :roll: it didnt offer RG3 many options in the pass game. He held onto the ball too long, he wouldnt run to pick up easy 1st downs (there were quite a few short gainers and space to do so). RG3 used his one and only scapegoat card and got Shanny fired...He didnt want to run so he took a pounding in the pocket and threw people under the bus and pointed fingers.....The FO might have gotten dupped again. Should once again be interesting at Redskin Park this offseason. I hope they keep the run game as is....just like switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3, it takesa good 2 years to get players/chemistry down.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

RG3peat wrote:Ever hear the saying "why fix something that isnt broken" The run game is great, why mess with it? Maybe a guy or 2 isnt as good in pass protect so you try and upgrade those. Personally I think there was more to it....the offensive formations were crap with TEs and sometimes WRs in the backfield :roll: it didnt offer RG3 many options in the pass game. He held onto the ball too long, he wouldnt run to pick up easy 1st downs (there were quite a few short gainers and space to do so). RG3 used his one and only scapegoat card and got Shanny fired...He didnt want to run so he took a pounding in the pocket and threw people under the bus and pointed fingers.....The FO might have gotten dupped again. Should once again be interesting at Redskin Park this offseason. I hope they keep the run game as is....just like switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3, it takesa good 2 years to get players/chemistry down.

They can't pass protect. Period. That's a huge problem. 3 of 5 o-linemen are marginal for depth. One is an adequate starter. One is blue-chip.

3 need to be replaced immediately. If that means converting from a finesse run game, to a power run game, so be it. Alf can do either, with equal effectiveness.

Shanahan got Shanahan fired. Get over it.

... and, while you are throwing Bob under the bus, you might want to consider a new user name. I love irony... [-X
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:36 pm

I'd rather we moved Lichtensteiger to Bosnia rather than anywhere on the offensive line.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Postby yupchagee » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:I'd rather we moved Lichtensteiger to Bosnia rather than anywhere on the offensive line.

I don't know what you have against Bosnia, but Licht shouldn't start in a power running scheme
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:07 pm

yupchagee wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:I'd rather we moved Lichtensteiger to Bosnia rather than anywhere on the offensive line.

I don't know what you have against Bosnia, but Licht shouldn't start in a power running scheme

I don't he should start in a power shower.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:30 pm

There is a pretty good piece today on Gruden's options on the o-line. Without getting into WHO should be kept, it points out that we're in good shape to make changes on the line if Gruden wants.

Williams isn’t going anywhere. But the futures of Chester, Montgomery, Lichtensteiger, and Polumbus, who have played virtually every snap the last two years, could well depend on how Jay Gruden and Sean McVay judge their performances on film and if they are going to make any major changes to their basic blocking scheme.

The good news for the Redskins is that they will be dealing from a position of strength here. None of the four 2013 starters has a salary cap number that is unreasonably high so they can afford to keep any of them they want to. At the same time, the cap hit for releasing any of them should the team want to do so is also very manageable.

Here are the 2013 dead money totals and net cap hits for releasing those players:
Name Dead Money Cap savings
Chris Chester $1,600,000 $2,700,000
Will Montgomery $1,500,000 $1,925,000
Kory Lichtensteiger $2,200,000 $1,100,000
Tyler Polumbus $100,000 $1,000,000

This shows that the Redskins have a great deal of flexibility. They probably don’t want to keep any of the four as a backup with the exception of Polumbus (considering strictly salary cap factors here). If they bring in a relatively high-dollar player, somebody is probably going to have to go. But if they want to bring in competition from the draft or to let the veterans battle for their jobs with players who are already on the roster such as Compton, Gettis, or LeRibeus, their $29 million in cap room allows them to do so. They could choose to hold on to any of them and then make a move whenever they decide the time is right.

If the Redskins decide to stand pat on the line, they will be in good shape there, too. Polumbus is a free agent at the end of this season while all of the other linemen on the roster are under team control through 2015.

So, what are the Redskins going to do on the offensive line this offseason? Whatever they want to.

http://realredskins.com/2014/01/20/sala ... sive-line/

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 am

riggofan wrote:There is a pretty good piece today on Gruden's options on the o-line. Without getting into WHO should be kept, it points out that we're in good shape to make changes on the line if Gruden wants.

Williams isn’t going anywhere. But the futures of Chester, Montgomery, Lichtensteiger, and Polumbus, who have played virtually every snap the last two years, could well depend on how Jay Gruden and Sean McVay judge their performances on film and if they are going to make any major changes to their basic blocking scheme.

The good news for the Redskins is that they will be dealing from a position of strength here. None of the four 2013 starters has a salary cap number that is unreasonably high so they can afford to keep any of them they want to. At the same time, the cap hit for releasing any of them should the team want to do so is also very manageable.

Here are the 2013 dead money totals and net cap hits for releasing those players:
Name Dead Money Cap savings
Chris Chester $1,600,000 $2,700,000
Will Montgomery $1,500,000 $1,925,000
Kory Lichtensteiger $2,200,000 $1,100,000
Tyler Polumbus $100,000 $1,000,000

This shows that the Redskins have a great deal of flexibility. They probably don’t want to keep any of the four as a backup with the exception of Polumbus (considering strictly salary cap factors here). If they bring in a relatively high-dollar player, somebody is probably going to have to go. But if they want to bring in competition from the draft or to let the veterans battle for their jobs with players who are already on the roster such as Compton, Gettis, or LeRibeus, their $29 million in cap room allows them to do so. They could choose to hold on to any of them and then make a move whenever they decide the time is right.

If the Redskins decide to stand pat on the line, they will be in good shape there, too. Polumbus is a free agent at the end of this season while all of the other linemen on the roster are under team control through 2015.

So, what are the Redskins going to do on the offensive line this offseason? Whatever they want to.

http://realredskins.com/2014/01/20/sala ... sive-line/

I don't think we keep Polumbus as a backup. It's starting RT or gone. He can't play LT at all
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 am

Countertrey wrote:They can't pass protect. Period. That's a huge problem. 3 of 5 o-linemen are marginal for depth. One is an adequate starter. One is blue-chip.

I agree that I'd like to see a bulk of the line gone... However, they didn't commit a sack for the first two games that Kirk started. It does show that it wasn't/isn't all on them. Between RGIII being indecisive and the WR's not winning at the LOS, it was a recipe for disaster. That being said, we still need to upgrade.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 am

yupchagee wrote:I don't think we keep Polumbus as a backup. It's starting RT or gone. He can't play LT at all

It would be a surprising move. I think the main reason it was suggested is because of his cap number.

I've kind of assumed all year that Polumbus would one of the obvious offensive line guys to try to replace/upgrade. Am I wrong about that?

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Countertrey wrote:They can't pass protect. Period. That's a huge problem. 3 of 5 o-linemen are marginal for depth. One is an adequate starter. One is blue-chip.

I agree that I'd like to see a bulk of the line gone... However, they didn't commit a sack for the first two games that Kirk started. It does show that it wasn't/isn't all on them. Between RGIII being indecisive and the WR's not winning at the LOS, it was a recipe for disaster. That being said, we still need to upgrade.

Yep, though the Falcons were tied for 29th in sacks this year, and the Cowboys 25th. Not exactly ferocious pass rushing defenses...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 am

riggofan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:I don't think we keep Polumbus as a backup. It's starting RT or gone. He can't play LT at all

It would be a surprising move. I think the main reason it was suggested is because of his cap number.

I've kind of assumed all year that Polumbus would one of the obvious offensive line guys to try to replace/upgrade. Am I wrong about that?

Any chance he could become a big right guard?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football