Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:47 pm

markshark84 wrote:
yupchagee wrote:2 points:
It isn't 2-3 seconds, it's less than 1.
If Merriweather deserves a suspension,why is Suh still in the league?

I think that Merriweather was suspended because he has gone helmet to helmet pretty consistently this year. He's even had a couple close ones that weren't flagged. He's already given (I believe) 2 players and himself concussions this year. From a pro-NFL side, you could say the suspension was given in order to protect the players, but also HIMSELF from further damage/concussions --- that said, we all know what the NFL truly cares about......

I personally do NOT think a suspension was necessary --- as I personally thought all of his hits but 1 have been fine. That said, Merriweather has already been fined $200k over the course of his career for helmet to helmet hits. I think the NFL thought the fines weren't getting thru to him ---- and I personally have to agree on that. So, if the NFL truly thinks what he has been doing is against league policy, then they really didn't have another choice. Then again, if it were up to me and afraid of all the pending litigation resulting from the NFL's history of liassez-faire attitudes towards concussions, I would have suspended him 1 game, knowing it would get reversed. If it happened again, I would have done the 2.

Good to know exactly where you stand on this... umm... wait... what?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I think that Merriweather was suspended because he has gone helmet to helmet pretty consistently this year. He's even had a couple close ones that weren't flagged. He's already given (I believe) 2 players and himself concussions this year. From a pro-NFL side, you could say the suspension was given in order to protect the players, but also HIMSELF from further damage/concussions --- that said, we all know what the NFL truly cares about......

I personally do NOT think a suspension was necessary --- as I personally thought all of his hits but 1 have been fine. That said, Merriweather has already been fined $200k over the course of his career for helmet to helmet hits. I think the NFL thought the fines weren't getting thru to him ---- and I personally have to agree on that. So, if the NFL truly thinks what he has been doing is against league policy, then they really didn't have another choice. Then again, if it were up to me and afraid of all the pending litigation resulting from the NFL's history of liassez-faire attitudes towards concussions, I would have suspended him 1 game, knowing it would get reversed. If it happened again, I would have done the 2.

:shock: really?

ROTFALMAO

Not sure what's so funny. I gave my opinion as a fan, then I offered what I would think was the opinion of the commissioner's office and what I would have done as commish given the legality of the situation. Regardless, either way my result was that he wouldn't have been suspended --- do you not get that??? Do you think I'm contradicting myself????

To put another way ------- As a fan I think the hits are fine. As a fan, I think the league is getting soft. Now ---- If I were commisioner, I would be worried that we need to set proper precident and maintain this consistent precident given the impending litigation related to the NFL's hisroty of turning the other way when it comes to head injuries. Therefore as commish, I would have to suspend him as evidence of a "hard stance" ---- knowing it would be overturned by a governing body. That way, it appears I am tough on preventing head injuries ---- all while getting the outcome I wished for initially.

Regardless, do you disagree in some way? Such an insightful post. At least countertrey made me understand why he was replying. Great contribution :roll:
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:
ACW wrote:
riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?
Like it or not, the rules have changed. And if you look at two of Sean's hits (the one on Moorman and the block against the Lions) he led with this shoulder.

I'm not debating the rules at all. They are what they are. My question was why people are so adamant that he is a "dirty" player.
I've looked through the thread... and see ONE... count them... ONE instance in which someone has suggested that he is a dirty player. I would disagree, btw. Merrifield is certainly hard nosed... perhaps "old-school" would work as well...

From this thread:
"I like physical football as much as the next guy but Suh's and Merriweather's in the league need to be sanction much harder than they are to eliminate their dirty play."

"this guy is not a hard player, he's a dirty player"

I don't think I'm setting up any straw men or anything. The talk about Brandon being dirty has been out there all week on the radio and tv.

https://twitter.com/search?q=merriweath ... y&src=typd

WTOP: Is Is the #Redskins Brandon Merriweather a dirty player? Let us know

lol.

Anyway, I completely agree with you about Merriweather needing to change the way he's tackling if he wants to stick around.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 am

I agree with Countertrey and riggofan

my only issue with Meriweather is that he has not seemed to have made much of an effort to play hard and to hit as hard as he can WITHIN the guidelines of what the NFL officials want

I think he deserves to be suspended for continuing to make hits that he think are within the NFL guidelines but are still too aggressive UNDER THE GUIDELINES that the refs will allow

Today's NFL is not allowing a lot of 'stuff' that they used to allow

- if you are a player, that the refs think, REFUSES to play within the rules, you will be targeted/penalized

- if you constantly show up, on film, as making no effort to change the way you play, or, if you make out you're not doing anything wrong, even though it's clearly against the NFL's guidelines, YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 am

Countertrey wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
yupchagee wrote:2 points:
It isn't 2-3 seconds, it's less than 1.
If Merriweather deserves a suspension,why is Suh still in the league?

I think that Merriweather was suspended because he has gone helmet to helmet pretty consistently this year. He's even had a couple close ones that weren't flagged. He's already given (I believe) 2 players and himself concussions this year. From a pro-NFL side, you could say the suspension was given in order to protect the players, but also HIMSELF from further damage/concussions --- that said, we all know what the NFL truly cares about......

Good to know exactly where you stand on this... umm... wait... what?

:roll: - my thoughts exactly - thanks Countertrey :twisted:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 am

When everyone lists the concussions that Merriweather has caused why do they keep listing his? The hit that lead to his concussion should have been a flag on Starks for the brand new foul of leading with the crown of his helmet and Starks should have need fined. Merriweather's head wansn't going to be anywhere near Starks' has until Starks intentionally lowered his head and spears BM with the crown of his helmet. It was a text book example of a play that should have drawn a 15 flag on Starks!

Yes, Merriweather is guilty of a lot, but not his own concussion.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:38 am

I did say that Meriweather is a dirty player - I take that back - he is hitting players in a way that looks 'dirty' - that's the way he plays and I'm not sure he thinks it's wrong

plus

he has not seemed to have made much of an effort to 'change'

someone needs to help him or it's going to continue to be a big problem

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:27 pm

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones:

Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather is back at practice after serving his one-game suspension for, among other things, a late hit on Bears receiver Brandon Marshall. Marshall had strong words for Meriweather after the game. Today, Meriweather fires right back, and goes personal.

After the game in which Meriweather drew two personal fouls for leading with his helmet, Marshall said this:

"Guys like that really don’t understand that there is life after football. I respect the league trying to better our game and guys like that, maybe he needs to get suspended or taken out of the game completely."

And here's Meriweather today:

"Listen, everybody’s got their opinion of things, you know. Everybody’s got their opinion. He feels like, you know, I need to be kicked out of the league. I feel like, people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league too.

"You tell me who you’d rather have: Somebody who plays aggressive on the field, or somebody who beats up their girlfriend. Everybody’s got their opinion. That’s mine. He’s got his."
In 2009, Marshall was found not guilty of two counts of simple battery stemming from a March 2008 incident with then-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley, and had been arrested but not charged for a separate incident. Earlier this year, a lawsuit brought by Watley alleging abuse was dismissed.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 pm

:shock:

Holy . . . :!:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:22 pm

More:
“The case I made was I didn’t use my head in either one of the hits,” Meriweather said during the team’s open locker room session. “I know everybody is looking at the tape and are saying, ‘Oh, he’s a dirty player. He’s this, he’s that,’ which I get. But if anyone goes looks at the tape, I didn’t use my head in either hit, and I’m moving on from it.”

The league initially suspended Meriweather for two games, but an appeal got the punishment cut in half. Meriweather’s appeal was heard Wednesday by former NFL coach Ted Cottrell, one of two appeals officers jointly appointed by the league and players’ union to resolve cases involving discipline for on-field matters.

Meriweather’s suspension was without pay, and he forfeited $70,588 of his $1.2 million salary for this season. Meriweather, who is set to come back for this weekend’s home game against the San Diego Chargers, had said last week he was adjusting to the updated rules regarding hitting but that would need to make further modifications given the latest situation.

“To be honest, you’ve just got to go low now,” he said. “You’ve got to end people’s career. You’ve got to tear people’s ACLs and mess up people’s knees now. You can’t hit them [that] way, you can’t hit them high anymore. You’ve just got to go low.”

He's not the only defensive player making that argument about tacking low v. tackling high.

Check out this article from a few weeks back when Dustin Keller had his knee destroyed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 14887.html

In many ways, they are in a no-win situation. They can't go high, for fear of hitting a receiver just wrong in a split-second decision and getting fined. But if they go low, as Swearinger did on Keller, they can also get blamed for a dirty hit if an injury occurs, which happened with Keller.

And his comment about not leading with his helmet was exactly what I saw when I watched those replays. He lead with his shoulder, but because he's hitting high, there is some helmet contact.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:39 pm

The fact remains that if during a tackle the defender's helmet makes contact with the other player he is most likely going to get both penalized, and, if he's a repeat offender, fined and suspended

I understand that the defender is not trying to play dirty or to hurt the other player

not all rules are 'good' rules but they are the rules ... if you cannot play the game within the guidelines imposed by the NFL you will most likely be hurting your team

Meriweather looks to me like he's not really making a big effort to play within the guidelines as set by the NFL ... maybe that will happen ... hopefully soon

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

I hope he turns it around too Skinjock because he is the only real starting safety we have. His athleticism enables the rest of the guys to take more chances (gamble) because of his speed.

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:12 pm

DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I hope he turns it around too Skinjock because he is the only real starting safety we have. His athleticism enables the rest of the guys to take more chances (gamble) because of his speed.

That's the frustrating part about this - it would not be as big a deal if it was just a 'normal' player - Meriweather can be an impact player on defense but not if he's not on the field :roll:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:47 pm

ACW wrote:How to hit cleanly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhgDhAg9x-E

You're right! Shoulder first, middle of the body. I'm a little surprised this didn't draw the "defenseless receiver" flag though. Did it???

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football