Postgame thread: Nothing to get worked up over

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 am

DarthMonk wrote:Too bad the offense was terrible early. They marched on us but we got them to 4th and 1 and 31 other coaches would've kicked a FG ... though I did not expect them to. Then we got the defensive TD.

Then we held them to a FG. Then we fumbled on our first offensive play.

Then they score in one play from our 25.

Then we throw a pick.

They start at our 48 but we stop them and fair catch at the 5 yard line.

Then we pitch in the endzone!!!!!! and surrender a safety.

They take over at our 48 but we stop them AGAIN.

Morris goes for 15 on 2nd down then we go 3 and out.

We punt and stop them AGAIN.

We complete an 11 yard pass then go 3 and out.

D got a lot of stops in the 1st half (and even scored) but the offense was anemic.

SMH.

I contemplated writing a similar post. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

If we look at this dispassionately, Philly fans have some things for which to be concerned. For all their offense did last night, much of it was due to the rust/ poor play of our O. Little things matter. Fair catching a punt on your five yard line puts pressure on a rusty offense, leading to the fumble & safety. That puts more pressure on the rusty offense.

Everything was pressing, pressing, pressing. Even with all of that, the team battled back and were within a touchdown of winning. Actually, one missed field goal and not taking that safety would have meant we kick an extra point, rather than go for two, and it's a tie ball game. Nope, Philly fans should be happy but not crowing. Of course, they're not bright enough to realize that.

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 am

I am disappointed by the outcome but I think the team will be fine.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:22 am

I am slightly concerned about RGIII. All will play out next week obviously, but I don't know whether to attribute his poor play yesterday to rust or not being 100%. I'm leaning towards rust because look at Al Morris yesterday, who had minimal time playing in the preseason.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:29 am

My takes from the game:

O-line run blocking was atrocious, granted they never got into a rhythm.

RGIII was terrible and skittish for 2 1/2 quarters, not planting and throwing and even his body language seemed off.

Was surprised to not see Aldrick on the field more.

Alfred didn't quite look like himself, again though no rhythm in the run game.

Interior of the 0-line seemed to get pushed back a lot in pass pro, need to re-watch some to see if that was the case.

Like others have mentioned, after Philly's first 2 drives I thought our D played very well. There's only so much you can do, against any offense, when your own offense is turning the ball over deep in it's own territory and not sustaining drives of their own. Our pass rush looked pretty good and I though Amerson played well.

Jordan Reed looked really good, caught the ball well and moved well. He'll only get better.

Hankerson, although he bobbled one across the middle played well and he almost made a great one handed catch in the 4th that had he made the game could've been different.

I also though Helu looked good with limited opportunities, he you could see his quickness.

Tough loss to start the season and it sucks losing a divisional game but if RGIII improves each week and the defense continues to play well we should be ok. Tough schedule ahead but looking forward to it.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 am

1niksder wrote:Not really a shocker... other than the outcome

It took 3 quarters to make up for limited to no pre-season work for Griff, and the starters... by then they were down by a fumble, safety, two picks, and a wacky Philly scheme that worked pretty good until the half time adjustments kicked in. In the end the game was winnable if not for the the penalties that seemed to persist for 4 quarters.

I'm not sold that it was shaking off the rust; more that the eagles went into a prevent D midway into the 3rd. I don't think it was a coincidence that all of RGIII passes were dink and dunk 10 yarders. The Eagles D was giving those plays away like candy on halloween.

We look bad. Really bad. Even worse than anything I expected. If there is no threat of RGIII running the ball (which there isn't, obviously after watching last night) ---- they shouldn't run the pistol. In order for the pistol to be effective, you have to keep the LBs honest --- and when the OLBs don't have to hug the sides of the line, the pistol is useless and Morris can't run. And Morris didn't look like he did last year. He was running too high and not dragging defenders as he did last year. I am actually as much concerned with Morris as I am with RGIII.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 am

emoses14 wrote:No nfl team lets up with a less than 2 touchdown lead. That is stupid.

Don't kid yourself. The Eagles were taking the play clock down to 5 seconds in the second half and went into a prevent defense, when in the first half they were running plays every 18 seconds. How is that not a definition of letting up? And it wasn't 2 touchdowns...it was 33-7 dude.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 am

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:Everything was pressing, pressing, pressing. Even with all of that, the team battled back and were within a touchdown of winning. Actually, one missed field goal and not taking that safety would have meant we kick an extra point, rather than go for two, and it's a tie ball game. Nope, Philly fans should be happy but not crowing. Of course, they're not bright enough to realize that.
But by that standard we don't get that weird TD and we're back where we started...
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:20 am

I agree - no big deal .. you win some you lose some ...

The Redskins played badly and that was not a good way to start ... I would be surprised to see our offense and defense screwing up so badly again

the Eagles looked very good but I doubt that Vick can play at that level much any more
I really doubt that he'll be able to last many games taking hits like that either
I also do NOT think the Eagles defense can play that well for a whole season

it's just the first game and the Eagles are NOT winning the NFC East this season - we all know that
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 am

chiefhog44 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:No nfl team lets up with a less than 2 touchdown lead. That is stupid.

Don't kid yourself. The Eagles were taking the play clock down to 5 seconds in the second half and went into a prevent defense, when in the first half they were running plays every 18 seconds. How is that not a definition of letting up? And it wasn't 2 touchdowns...it was 33-7 dude.

+1

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:34 am

Just a question: Since when does holding "offset" a personal foul? At one point their was a holding called on the Redskins and a Face Mask on the EGirls. I the past when the there are "offsetting" penalties that involve a Personal Foul against a lesser offense the lesser offense is ignored and the PF is enforsed.

That wouldn't have affected the result of the game, but it made me wonder.

Also, I thought Kia made that FG. The refs hesitated before saying it was no good. To me it looked like it went above the goal post, but on the inside before hooking to the right. I wish there was a way to accurately review that. DId it look good to anyone else?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:

+1

You don't blitz on almost every down when you are playing prevent defense...

McCoy got a little dinged up and that slowed their offense down, but they still continued to run their uptempo style.

They tried to eat up clock as time went on but only because they feared the Skins were catching up.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 pm

1niksder wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:

+1

McCoy got a little dinged up and that slowed their offense down, but they still continued to run their uptempo style.

They tried to eat up clock as time went on but only because they feared the Skins were catching up.

That is why the passes were mostly short. We scored that way, so I don't see the value of forcing it deeper. It felt like Rex opened the game, but Robert looked much more himself by the end. The D did fantastic against the pace, but was predictably blindsided at the start by lack of film.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm not going to say I don't have some concerns, but seriously, you can't get too upset or too excited about a week 1 game. You guys know better.

My biggest concerns from the game last night were probably the penalties and maybe the o-line play. Regardless of all the other factors in that game, way too many penalties.

Hog

Postby gushogs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm

It was a miracle we were only down by 5 in the 1st quarter. The O played like 3 downs!!!

A good bringing down to earth, now is time to tune it up and go for the gold.

HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:37 pm

1niksder wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:

+1

First off, I'm not freaking out about this loss, but I'm not going to let people sit here and say that we completely rallied back against a team who was waxing us in the 1st half all on our own account. Yes, it was good to see Robert come back a bit at the end, and I think it's going to take up until the bye week for this ship to get moving...BUT, the fact that the Eagles let up in the 2nd half from what their original game plan was, had a major impact on us getting back into this game. Eating up the clock was letting up. We couldn't stop them in the first half when they went quick and when they slowed down, it allowed us to get some blitz packages implemented and correct guys on the field while not sprinting. Going to a different defense (soft zone) then what they played in the first half is letting up. Come on, be honest with yourself. You're just arguing to argue. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I mean, you're honestly going to sit there and say that they didn't let the Skins have anything they wanted underneath in the 4th Qtr?
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football