LaRon Landry: 1 season later

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

LaRon Landry: 1 season later

Postby fetus » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:16 pm

So with the pro bowl being today, and after looking at the rosters I noticed 1 that stood out. Laron is in the pro bowl and after not hearing anything about him this year I decided to check his stats, 99 tackles 2 picks an 4 forced fumbles, and he started 16 games with no trouble, so my question to you all is....
Do you regret letting him go and do you think he would have made a big enough difference in our secondary to change the outcome of our season?

Personally I always liked the kid and didn't want to let him walk but, I understood the reasoning. Now I am a little more upset about him leaving and wish he would have been able to stay.
I think that possibly we would have won against the Giants that first time and possibly 1 more.

Just my thoughts
RGIII and the terrible D

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:42 pm

wrong forum.....
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

piggie

Postby fetus » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm

My bad wasn't sure if this was the right spot....
Mods please move
RGIII and the terrible D

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:39 pm

fetus wrote:My bad wasn't sure if this was the right spot....
Mods please move

Why is it the wrong forum?

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:11 pm

He actually graded out worse than Madieu Williams this year according to Pro Football Focus. Their grades are usually pretty indicative of success.

But who knows. I only watched the Jets twice this year and both games they were awful
XVII XXII XXVI

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 am

Based on what we knew at the time, we made the right decision. There are several guys: Ryan Clark, Walt Harris, Carlos Rogers, & Laron Landry who left our secondary and went on to go to a pro bowl season. It would be nice to have a secondary full of pro bowlers, but it just didn't work out that way.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Mods please move

Nope... it's a Redskins question about a former Redskins player

andyjens89 wrote:He actually graded out worse than Madieu Williams this year according to Pro Football Focus. Their grades are usually pretty indicative of success.

But who knows. I only watched the Jets twice this year and both games they were awful

Laron wanted $5M+ to stay with the Skins, but wasn't willing to do what the team doctors recommended he do (SOUNDS FAMILIAR :hmm: ), the Jets gave him a 1 year deal for $700K and loaded with incentives... I doubt he would have signed a one year deal with the Skins

The Hogster wrote:Based on what we knew at the time, we made the right decision. There are several guys: Ryan Clark, Walt Harris, Carlos Rogers, & Laron Landry who left our secondary and went on to go to a pro bowl season. It would be nice to have a secondary full of pro bowlers, but it just didn't work out that way.

I believe Ryan (the only one I wish had stayed) Clark was the only one to sign a deal longer than 1 year.

M. Williams signed a $890K deal and only cost the cap strapped Skins $605K on the books. LL will cost the Jets about $4.2M in the end, but the fact of the matter is like C. Rogers last season, LL was playing for a contract this season. That wouldn't have been the case in Washington.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm

The Pro Bowl is the biggest joke in the NFL. Its become laughable at this point. 50 % of the league makes the pro bowl by the time its played. I've watched plenty of Landry this season, being in NY, and he was no better than when he was with us. He routinely got torched in coverage by WR and TE, and occaisonally took terrible angles on running plays, leading to huge gains. Sure he had some nice hits here and there, but he also kept his stellar average of at least one 15 yard penalty per game too. Good riddance.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Jets fans don't think LL played very well. And is there any doubt he had much more incentive to do well for them than he did for us? Beware going by his Pro Bowl selection to judge his play this year.

Letting Ryan Clark go was a huge mistake and nearly 100% attributable to Dan Snyder's ego. Letting Carlos Rogers go was not a mistake but unfortunate, and it's probably 20% attributable to the treatment he received in DC and 80% attributable to his bad attitude. Letting LL go was simply not a mistake.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Keeping Ryan Clark was the thing to do. Having done that, we could have selected Adrian Petersen at 6 rather than letting him slip to the Vikings at 7. Now there is an argument for drafting BPA if there ever was one.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Adrian Peterson
Darrell Revis
Patrick Willis

Any one of them would be Redskins if we didn't have King Idiot "Vinny" running things. Any normal GM would have re-signed Clark instead of signing Adam Archuletta to one of those cookie-cutter deals we signed every free agent too. i.e. Randel El, Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd.

That one move would have allowed us to draft BPA at any other position. But, we had "Clinton Portis" so we didn't consider AP. We had Carlos Rogers & Springs, so we didn't consider Darrell Revis. Granted we ran a 4-3 at the time, and were considering London Fletcher a top free agent (given Gregg William's history with him) and not in the market for Patrick Willis, but if we had the right people evaluating talent, I doubt we would let a cheap Ryan Clark go just to replace him with Adam Archuletta. SMH
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Re: LaRon Landry: 1 season later

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm

fetus wrote:So with the pro bowl being today, and after looking at the rosters I noticed 1 that stood out. Laron is in the pro bowl and after not hearing anything about him this year I decided to check his stats, 99 tackles 2 picks an 4 forced fumbles, and he started 16 games with no trouble, so my question to you all is....
Do you regret letting him go and do you think he would have made a big enough difference in our secondary to change the outcome of our season?

Personally I always liked the kid and didn't want to let him walk but, I understood the reasoning. Now I am a little more upset about him leaving and wish he would have been able to stay.
I think that possibly we would have won against the Giants that first time and possibly 1 more.

Just my thoughts
You clearly never watched Laron Landry in pass coverage. His strength was what he did in the box, not in pass coverage. That pass would have been just as much a problem for him, as it was for Williams.

Why would I "regret" letting go of a player who could not get healthy, yet demanded top money to stay? There was also evidence that he was a problem in the locker room through his last year. He's not a Redskin. Time to get over it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:48 pm

So many what ifs...if all that didn't happen, maybe we wouldn't've gotten RGIII...
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am

Very well put, ACW.

A+

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Mods please move

Why is it the wrong forum?

Hogwash- Redskins Stuff
Around the league- Everything else NFL

Simply because he's not one of us he goes to that other thread.

Just FYI Fetus, no harm done
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football