Facing forward

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Yep. I have not really seen this happen to Wilson or Kap and it's got nothing to do with some special ability they have to avoid hits.

This is true. This is probably due more to the fact that RGIII is so famous. He's on TV, ESPN, NFL Network, Radio, in the papers. Defensive players hunt for him because it's like a trophy. Hopefully that now that RGIII has become such a star, and is so valueable to the NFL--he'll get the same protection that guys like Brady, Rodgers & Manning gets. If you so much as sneeze on them too hard, it's 15.

The league needs RGIII. He is must see TV.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:15 pm

The Hogster wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Yep. I have not really seen this happen to Wilson or Kap and it's got nothing to do with some special ability they have to avoid hits.

This is true. This is probably due more to the fact that RGIII is so famous. He's on TV, ESPN, NFL Network, Radio, in the papers. Defensive players hunt for him because it's like a trophy. Hopefully that now that RGIII has become such a star, and is so valueable to the NFL--he'll get the same protection that guys like Brady, Rodgers & Manning gets. If you so much as sneeze on them too hard, it's 15.

Exactly. This is one of the things I've been saying. We compounded it with the frequency and braggadocio of our calls - particularly against Cincy and thereafter. I'm convinced guys have been gunning for him. I've seen guys launch who, thank goodness, missed cuz Griff ducked. He ducked once and got nailed helmet-to-helmet anyway. He raised his arms in wonderment and it went uncalled.

But all this is for another thread ... except ... we can't repeat our mistakes, neither RGIII's nor those of the coaches.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

piglet

Postby Quackjack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm

LOL @ the Redskins schedule.

Good luck with that
Steelers fan, but the Redskins are my NFC (and hometown) team.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:If RGIII had had adequate protection, he may not have been forced to resort to running in those 2 situations.

It his own fault and he has to be smart enough to know when to live to fight another day. He has show time and time again an inability to just give up on a play. I'm hoping that his team in rehab, away from the team will finally cut that light on for him. If this doesn't, nothing will.

Robert Griffin seems to have a running back mentality. In fact, he often reminds me of Charley Taylor, in those first couple of seasons before Otto shifted him to WR. Something about the way Griffin cuts and seems to take off like a jet.

He's got to forget that...

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:32 pm

welch wrote:
Robert Griffin seems to have a running back mentality. In fact, he often reminds me of Charley Taylor, in those first couple of seasons before Otto shifted him to WR. Something about the way Griffin cuts and seems to take off like a jet.

Either that, or convert to Wide Receiver...

just sayin...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Quackjack wrote:LOL @ the Redskins schedule.

Good luck with that

We don't need luck. But, the grumpy old geriatric Steelers do.
Only the highlighted games are those that jump out as tough. We can dominate our division for years to come, unlike Pittsburgh.
Home

Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, San Diego,
San Francisco

Away

Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Minnesota, Denver, Oakland,
Atlanta
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:

Either that, or convert to Wide Receiver...

just sayin...

...or maybe grow a gut like Sonny's so he doesn't even think about running. Doesn't Joe T say that when he met Sonny and Billy Kilmer, he thought the pair were homeless drunks who had accidentally stumbled into old Redskin Park...filthy, stinking drunk, wearing torn trench-coats.

"Who are those old boozers?" Joe asked. "Shouldn't we call security?"

"Oh, they're our starting quarterbacks", someone said.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Quackjack wrote:LOL @ the Redskins schedule.

Good luck with that

:hmm:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

piglet

Back to the Future

Postby RG3 Fan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 am

Hankerson and Morgan have got to go. This is the NFL. You can't consistently drop well thrown passes like that and stay in this league. Give up on them.

RG3 had better learn to take care of himself better. We still need to utilize his speed and ability to read option, but he has got to quit trying to make extra yards at the end of a scramble. That is where he has gotten killed.

Defense should be a lot stronger with injured players returning, but we still need a better safety.

OL has surprised me. Just need on more acquisition there.

|||

Re: Back to the Future

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 am

RG3 Fan wrote:Hankerson and Morgan have got to go. This is the NFL. You can't consistently drop well thrown passes like that and stay in this league. Give up on them.

RG3 had better learn to take care of himself better. We still need to utilize his speed and ability to read option, but he has got to quit trying to make extra yards at the end of a scramble. That is where he has gotten killed.

Defense should be a lot stronger with injured players returning, but we still need a better safety.

OL has surprised me. Just need on more acquisition there.

Morgan maybe? Hank no way.
I thought Hank came up big in a couple games. It took a team effort to make the playoffs this year. Everyone chipped in including Hank. Morgan I just want him to step it up mentally.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

Exactly. This is one of the things I've been saying. We compounded it with the frequency and braggadocio of our calls - particularly against Cincy and thereafter. I'm convinced guys have been gunning for him. I've seen guys launch who, thank goodness, missed cuz Griff ducked. He ducked once and got nailed helmet-to-helmet anyway. He raised his arms in wonderment and it went uncalled.

But all this is for another thread ... except ... we can't repeat our mistakes, neither RGIII's nor those of the coaches.

I agree with both of you - I do think that the refs 'look after' certain players and that RG3 will get some 'help' or 'protection' from the officials ..

BUT

the biggest thing that hopefully we will see is that BOTH RG3 and Kyle/Mike will learn big time from what went down this season

RG3 has to curb some of the "I'm indestructible" attitude that seems prevalent in a lot of our youth ....

AND

The Redskins offense has to evolve - RG3's speed is awesome but he's also got a great arm, he has great touch and he seems to have a good mind for the game

we have a lot more weapons that we need to take advantage of on offense - just the threat of his running should help RG3's game a whole bunch IMO

SOOOO .. I think we're kind of saying the same thing here - I like what the read-option does but it does not need to be used a lot to be VERY effective

HOWEVER

the most important thing 'facing forward' is that RG3 really apply himself during the first 2 months of rehab
I'm sure he is very anxious to get back on the field and is being monitored and supported by the very best
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm

welch wrote: Doesn't Joe T say that when he met Sonny and Billy Kilmer, he thought the pair were homeless drunks who had accidentally stumbled into old Redskin Park...filthy, stinking drunk, wearing torn trench-coats.

"Who are those old boozers?" Joe asked. "Shouldn't we call security?"

"Oh, they're our starting quarterbacks", someone said.

There are also stories that they would cruise the Beltway, honking at cars sporting those old "I Follow the Redskins, and I like Sonny" or "I Follow the Redskins and I Like Billy" bumper stickers... One would flash a thumbs up, and the other a different digit... apparently, they had great fun.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football