Trade Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 am

let's get 1 thing straight - this FO is NOT letting Cousins go and not get anything in return ... :shock:

I sometimes think that some fans here do not realize that we now have guys in charge that REALLY know what they are doing

Cousins is a really good QB that will be here until someone makes us a really good offer - we're not letting him go ..

where do some of these stupid ideas come from
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016
we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:What is the hurry to get rid of great players? ;furious;

We need QUALITY as a backup QB and Kirk gives us THAT!!!!

PATIENCE. There will be FA and another Draft. I love our picks since Allen and Shanny came here. :wink:

But RiC, the whole point of having players is to see what you can get for them in draft picks.

I always wondered about that too. I thought it was the other way around, draft picks were to get players.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Re: Trade Cousins

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 am

SKINS#1 wrote:What would it take for you to trade Cousins? I would not consider a trade for anything less than a 1st rd and 2nd rd draft choice and would try to get (2) 1st rd choices if there were a couple teams interested.

If we got a #1 for him he'd be gone.

However, I've always found it odd the view that every other team passed on him at least three times before we took him, then Redskin fans have always thought those teams based on so little evidence would turn around and pay us high picks to get him.

I think he's a great pick for a fourth rounder, and we probably could get more for him then we paid, but no one is paying us a #1 at this point in time. And we need him. Come back in another 2 years and then we'll be starting to look at what we can get for him as he's nearing the end of his rookie contract.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

piggie

Postby oj » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 am

This is a great problem, what to do, what to do...lets discuss this for a few more years. No point in making a hasty decision.
Molon Labe

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:58 pm

The Hogster wrote:He won't re-sign here if RGIII is still our starter in 2015. But, I don't think now is the time to trade him. Next offseason, with one year on his expiring deal is the time to pull the trigger in my view.

He's signed for three more years, so we would want to do this in two years, not one. I agree though regarding the point the ideal time would be to wait until there is one year left on his deal.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:54 pm

If somebody is stupid enough to pull a Kevin Kolb like trade for him then ship him out. Otherwise no.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:06 pm

^ No. Unless someone is willing to give us what Dallas got for Herschel Walker, it's not time yet.

One more year. At that point, unless Cousins blows up, someone is likely to be willing to pay way too much...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I actually think teams would give up no more then a 2nd round pick for Cousins. But I actually think he is a first round talent. Had Cousins been part of this years draft I bet he might of been a first to second round pick.

What stands out to me about Cousins is his character. Even though Cousins himself believes he is a starter he has to be a good soldier and be the backup. Even though his dream is be a starting QB in the NFL. Yet he still thrives IMHO.

RG3 is one of the most athletic QBs ever. Cousins is no slouch though. He can run when needed and has a rocket arm as well. Combined with his intangibles we have ourselves another good QB. Man how things have changed!

Ive said this before but I also believe this situation is great for Cousins. RG3 and Cousins both winners in there own right can only help each other get better. Young, Montana, Farve , Rodgers and now I think we are in the early stages of RG3 and Cousins. While I dont think the relationship between the two will be a bad one. With RG3s injury history the moment will come when RG3 has to sit out and Cousins comes in again and leads the way to victory.
With this media in this day in age. QB controversy is around the corner.

So no trade for now is my opinion. What if RG3 is rusty? What if RG3 tweeks his knee again? Then Cousins comes in and lights it up for a couple weeks?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Cousins understands that his career, for now, is an audition for his future. He understands his current role, and realizes that his patience will yield opportunities. unless a catastrophe fells RG3, I do not expect to see him in B&G in two years.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:36 am

SkinsJock wrote:let's get 1 thing straight - this FO is NOT letting Cousins go and not get anything in return ... :shock:

I sometimes think that some fans here do not realize that we now have guys in charge that REALLY know what they are doing

Cousins is a really good QB that will be here until someone makes us a really good offer - we're not letting him go ..

Umm...Lorenzo Alexander??

I subscribe to the school of thought that it was just as much a "wanting to start" issue as it was a money issue.

Come on man these things happen to every team; unable to reach a signing agreement or trade deal, resulting in losing a player with nothing in return. That's why you have talented Free Agents. Its not always about the FO "dropping the ball" but rather a player wanting something the franchise can't deliver.

Yes they're a smart front office, but they can't control the desires of others who are worthy of their dreams. Especially once the player realizes that FO is actually holding them back from their dreams.

My current opinion: keep Cousins for as long as possible; trade him in the last year of his contract (and hope that there isn`t a strong QB draft class around that time)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 am

SkinsJock wrote:let's get 1 thing straight - this FO is NOT letting Cousins go and not get anything in return ... :shock:

Gee, thanks for clearing that up. I actually had to to re-read the past twenty posts before yours thoroughly to try and find where anybody implied that the Redskins would just let Cousins go for nothing.

ANYWAY. Highly unlikely Cousins would be traded this year. Too late for most teams to make that move for a starting QB and I would imagine Cousins is too much a part of our plans for this year. We're making a SB run. Do you want Cousins as your backup or Grossman? :)

A couple more solid preseason outings for Cousins (hopefully no regular season games) and I think we'll get a first rounder for him next year.

And THAT would be kind of genius wouldn't it?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:45 pm

earlier HTTRRG3ALMO posted
Would love to hear you guys thoughts on this...

First off, I must apologize, I'm always the 1st one to flip out when people start screaming "TRADE COUSINS!!", but now I'm beginning to wonder...

His contract expires in 2015. Its amazing to have him and I still hold that he shouldn't be released until someone just as good as him is on the roaster. However, is it likely he'll resign with us?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about the Lorax situation; Kirk might want to become a starter regardless of what we offer him.

With that, it would seem better for us to get "something" from our 4th round 2012 pick as opposed to allowing his contract to run out. I'd say we need him this year for sure, but what about after the end of this season?

There's teams out there who are desperate for a starting QB and from what I've been reading, 2014's draft class is once again weak in the QB position.

Anyway, don't get wrong, I'd hate to see Cousins go; if it were up to me, I'd pay him good and keep him around as a seamless insurance policy for a long time.

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

I subscribe to the school of thought that it was just as much a "wanting to start" issue as it was a money issue.

Come on man these things happen to every team; unable to reach a signing agreement or trade deal, resulting in losing a player with nothing in return. That's why you have talented Free Agents. Its not always about the FO "dropping the ball" but rather a player wanting something the franchise can't deliver.

Yes they're a smart front office, but they can't control the desires of others who are worthy of their dreams. Especially once the player realizes that FO is actually holding them back from their dreams.

My current opinion: keep Cousins for as long as possible; trade him in the last year of his contract (and hope that there isn`t a strong QB draft class around that time)

I cannot see any logic in both comparing Alexander & Cousins potential 'worth' to this franchise
OR
that this FO has given any indication that they will not handle the Cousins situation in the best way possible for this franchise

Alexander is no longer here because the FO decided that while there were certain aspects of his game that were valuable, not having his LB play was not going to hurt our defense
Cousins is an integral part of this team and he's shown that he could be a good NFL QB - Alexander is just a good ST player :lol:

I have NO DOUBT that this FO will manage the Cousins situation :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:05 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:He won't re-sign here if RGIII is still our starter in 2015. But, I don't think now is the time to trade him. Next offseason, with one year on his expiring deal is the time to pull the trigger in my view.

He's signed for three more years, so we would want to do this in two years, not one. I agree though regarding the point the ideal time would be to wait until there is one year left on his deal.

TW3

The Redskins are likely to deal Kirk Cousins at some point in time but later rather than sooner. Of course he’ll be around this year and there is no reason to be in a big hurry to trade him in 2014. Cousins will have two years left on his contract at that point so why trade him unless you get an offer that blows you away? In 2015 he will have on year left on his deal so that would be the last chance to trade him and get some draft pick value for him before he would likely hit free agency in 2016. That should give them enough time to figure out who will back up RG3 moving forward.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm

SkinsJock wrote:earlier HTTRRG3ALMO posted
Would love to hear you guys thoughts on this...

First off, I must apologize, I'm always the 1st one to flip out when people start screaming "TRADE COUSINS!!", but now I'm beginning to wonder...

His contract expires in 2015. Its amazing to have him and I still hold that he shouldn't be released until someone just as good as him is on the roaster. However, is it likely he'll resign with us?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about the Lorax situation; Kirk might want to become a starter regardless of what we offer him.
R
With that, it would seem better for us to get "something" from our 4th round 2012 pick as opposed to allowing his contract to run out. I'd say we need him this year for sure, but what about after the end of this season?

There's teams out there who are desperate for a starting QB and from what I've been reading, 2014's draft class is once again weak in the QB position.

Anyway, don't get wrong, I'd hate to see Cousins go; if it were up to me, I'd pay him good and keep him around as a seamless insurance policy for a long time.

F
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

I cannot see any logic in both comparing Alexander & Cousins potential 'worth' to this franchise
OR
that this FO has given any indication that they will not handle the Cousins situation in the best way possible for this franchise

Alexander is no longer here because the FO decided that while there were certain aspects of his game that were valuable, not having his LB play was not going to hurt our defense
Cousins is an integral part of this team and he's shown that he could be a good NFL QB - Alexander is just a good ST player :lol:

I have NO DOUBT that this FO will manage the Cousins situation :lol:

That's because you're still missing the point and seeing this "bass-ackwards". Its not what the franchise sees as the player's worth, but rather what the player sees as his worth. If the franchise is valuing the player less than he feels he is worth and can get elsewhere (money and position) he's going to walk.

We've seen players make sacrifices this year yes, but that's a temporary salary issue...this isn't.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:26 pm

The FO (not Cousins) will decide what to do and I'm fairly sure that 'decision' will be in Cousins best interest also ... and that ain't happening soon

that's just my opinion :lol:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football