Cut DeAngelo Hall

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 am

riggofan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:
fetus wrote:Letting Carlos go was the worst mistake shabby made

Rogers couldn't WAIT to get out of DC. Complete B.S. to blame Shanny that he's not here.

Correct. He knew he was hitting a FA market hot for CBs and got his payday. At the time his play did not warrant the contract he would have needed to stay in DC.

And it should be noted that after a 6-pick season last year, he's still waiting for his first this year, and has dropped more than one in just the games I saw.

Then again, the Skins can't really talk, because right now we're paying Hall many millions to be an OK corner.

Totally true. I'd take Carlos Rogers over Hall in a heartbeat, no doubt about it. Just completely bogus to claim that its Shanahan's fault he's not here.

If you're going to second guess Shanny/Allen for anything, I think the money we spent on Garcon/Morgan without addressing the secondary is fair game. I don't know how much the salary cap penalty is to blame for that, but in hindsight it definitely looks like we would have been better off going after a quality CB.

If our FO played their cards right, we could currently have Rodgers, DHall, Landry and Clark as our secondary.........
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 am

^^^^^^^

I didn't know we were playing: SHOULDA, COULDA, WOULDA....

but didn't do a damned thing.........
Last edited by tribeofjudah on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:46 am

The tandem of Rogers and Hall was a good one. Hall needs to be paired with guys who can cover. Hall is a above average zone corner. When he can play in space facing the QB, he makes plays. But, he's a liability in man schemes.

When you have a guy like Carlos (his opposite) on the other side, you can do more things to disguise Hall's deficiencies. A true cover guy can prevent some of the other big plays.

Right now, everyone on our secondary can't cover anyone. And that equals swiss cheese.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:^^^^^^^

LOL.

I wish I had time to go back and pull some of the messages from when Carlos Rogers was actually here. I'm sure he had more than his share of "Carlos Sucks", "Cut Rogers" and "Rogers has Bricks for Hands" threads.

Now that he's gone, people seem to be mis-remembering him as Daryl Green.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm

riggofan wrote:

LOL.

I wish I had time to go back and pull some of the messages from when Carlos Rogers was actually here. I'm sure he had more than his share of "Carlos Sucks", "Cut Rogers" and "Rogers has Bricks for Hands" threads.

True. He was known as stone hands back then. But, we had the luxury of having a great Defense, so we actually took coverage skills for granted. How arrogant we were. Bring back Greg Williams
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:23 pm

It seems to me our biggest weakness is a slot corner and good safety play. We don't have anybody who can cover a quick slot-type WR, Hawkins killed us against Cincy, Amendola, Cruz, etc. We desperatly need a guy who can match-up in the slot. Our corners may not be the best on the outside but i think the slot and free safety our the biggest concerns. The teams we've done o.k against on defense have lacked a slot guy to take advantage of us. Living here in Denver and watching the Broncos lately, they scored a steal in undrafted player Chris Harris and we have to be able to do the same plus find a Free Safety.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:41 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:I personally like Josh as a #2 corner. He's not the most gifted player, but he works his butt off and has a great attitude. I think the issue is we need a better #1 corner.

I suspect the concussion he sustained against the Rams has taken him down several notches. He's letting things get by him this year that he would have taken care of last year — last year I thought he was our best CB by far.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm

riggofan wrote:

LOL.

I actually did a limited back search to see. You'd be surprised. There was this thread: http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic. ... rs&start=0

I sort of remember it as everyone hating on him, but it really wasn't that way. The general consensus was that he was a decent CB and with the secondary we have now -- I would replace our entire current secondary with "decent"...

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Not, just reminissing on the failures of our past and current FO........

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Rogers wasn't that good in coverage either.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:50 pm

riggofan wrote:

LOL.

1: They probably all know how to spell DARRELL Green... which, probably, also means that;
2: They know that Carlos Rogers was an EXCEPTIONAL cover corner, who, unfortunately, could not catch. He was also EXCELLENT in run support. No one will ever mistake him for Green... but those who recognized his cover skills knew that we would not be able to replace him easily... and, they were right. Our record suffers without him. Feel free to go back through those threads... you will find a couple of folks who understood that his cover skills were move valuable than the picks he lost.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:51 pm

aswas71788 wrote:

Please... show us the completion stats against him... if you dare.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 pm

aswas71788 wrote:

He was the best cover corner we had. I'm not sure what games you were watching.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby fetus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 pm

markshark84 wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Rogers couldn't WAIT to get out of DC. Complete B.S. to blame Shanny that he's not here.

Correct. He knew he was hitting a FA market hot for CBs and got his payday. At the time his play did not warrant the contract he would have needed to stay in DC.

And it should be noted that after a 6-pick season last year, he's still waiting for his first this year, and has dropped more than one in just the games I saw.

Then again, the Skins can't really talk, because right now we're paying Hall many millions to be an OK corner.

Totally true. I'd take Carlos Rogers over Hall in a heartbeat, no doubt about it. Just completely bogus to claim that its Shanahan's fault he's not here.

If you're going to second guess Shanny/Allen for anything, I think the money we spent on Garcon/Morgan without addressing the secondary is fair game. I don't know how much the salary cap penalty is to blame for that, but in hindsight it definitely looks like we would have been better off going after a quality CB.

If our FO played their cards right, we could currently have Rodgers, DHall, Landry and Clark as our secondary.........

Ok let me re-phrase this is language that it was meant to be. Letting Carlos go was one of the worst things that could have happens to our secondary when it did. I know shanny had no chance of making him stay and he was going to get his money elsewhere. I just wish that he could have got his money here. As far as what our secondary could look like that is neither here or there, and I am not one to blame shanny/every coach for out problems. And the money we spent in garcon may still be worth it, you can't help injury, there is nothing you can do about that, if your going to be mad at someone for being injured then you have bigger issues that need much more attention than your football opinions. O and we did adress the secondary, griffin meriweather and Jackson came in along with williams, one got suspended and one got hurt, meriwether and Jackson would be our starters at safety and I personally think this secondary would look a whole lot better with those two than it does now... But that's just me
RGIII and the terrible D

piggie

Postby fetus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 pm

And BTW if Clark would have still been here,Landry never would have
RGIII and the terrible D

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football