The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:22 pm

LB Lorenzo Alexander says NFL cap penalty hindering contract talks 2 re-sign LB London Fletcher & could lead 2 vets leaving in '13
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16255
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:24 pm

1niksder wrote:LB Lorenzo Alexander says NFL cap penalty hindering contract talks 2 re-sign LB London Fletcher & could lead 2 vets leaving in '13

When do we actually have to be under the cap, penalties not withstanding?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:LB Lorenzo Alexander says NFL cap penalty hindering contract talks 2 re-sign LB London Fletcher & could lead 2 vets leaving in '13

When do we actually have to be under the cap, penalties not withstanding?

March 13th but only counting the top 51
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 pm

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge
Posts: 14797
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:26 am

Go, Jerruh!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Penalty

Postby rskin72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:45 pm

I listen to NFL radio quite a bit, and this still gets attention there at times.....just a lot of other news going on that drowns out the spotlight on this. One thing I found interesting was that several players are now wondering about the implication of this.....namely that the NFL teams were "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" told "unofficially" by NFL not to stray outside bounds of the salary cap in a non-salary cap year.

I don't expect this to be resolved in our favor......think that either the NFL will tell Dan and Jerry that this type of legal action could open up a far larger can of worms for the league (i.e. collusion to keep players salaries at certain levels even in uncapped year)......or NFL will merely do what they normally do, apply pressure and strong arm tactics to the situation.

After all that I have read on this.....both sides of the equation.....I still feel that we did nothing wrong in an uncapped season. Heck, we could have gone Steinbrenner on the NFL and really sent other owners through the roof. Bottom line is that we spent money above cap in an uncapped year, and moves were approved by the league. Whether or not there was a gentlemans agreement is irrevalent as there was no cap that year.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16255
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Penalty

Postby Deadskins » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:37 pm

rskin72 wrote:I don't expect this to be resolved in our favor......think that either the NFL will tell Dan and Jerry that this type of legal action could open up a far larger can of worms for the league (i.e. collusion to keep players salaries at certain levels even in uncapped year)......or NFL will merely do what they normally do, apply pressure and strong arm tactics to the situation.

There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration. We won't actually be going to court, so not risking bringing up anti-trust issues for the league, but we can not only get the cap space back, but be awarded damages as well. I think this is the most likely route, for those reasons.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Penalty

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 am

Deadskins wrote:
rskin72 wrote:I don't expect this to be resolved in our favor......think that either the NFL will tell Dan and Jerry that this type of legal action could open up a far larger can of worms for the league (i.e. collusion to keep players salaries at certain levels even in uncapped year)......or NFL will merely do what they normally do, apply pressure and strong arm tactics to the situation.

There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration. We won't actually be going to court, so not risking bringing up anti-trust issues for the league, but we can not only get the cap space back, but be awarded damages as well. I think this is the most likely route, for those reasons.


I'm not sure the nuclear option would be off the table. Wouldn't Jerry and Danny be the first two guys who would like to see the cap go away? I'm not clear how the NFL isn't pointing the gun at their own head and daring Danny to pull the trigger.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16255
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Penalty

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:19 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
rskin72 wrote:I don't expect this to be resolved in our favor......think that either the NFL will tell Dan and Jerry that this type of legal action could open up a far larger can of worms for the league (i.e. collusion to keep players salaries at certain levels even in uncapped year)......or NFL will merely do what they normally do, apply pressure and strong arm tactics to the situation.

There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration. We won't actually be going to court, so not risking bringing up anti-trust issues for the league, but we can not only get the cap space back, but be awarded damages as well. I think this is the most likely route, for those reasons.


I'm not sure the nuclear option would be off the table. Wouldn't Jerry and Danny be the first two guys who would like to see the cap go away? I'm not clear how the NFL isn't pointing the gun at their own head and daring Danny to pull the trigger.

I'm not sure the cap would be the only casualty of losing their anti-trust exemption. Losing that could kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: Penalty

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:09 am

Deadskins wrote:There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration.

I actually think this will get resolved at the owners meeting starting today or tomorrow. Dan and JJ will force the owners to take a vote to make this cap hit official. The NFL won't get the required votes and the cap his will quietly go away. This is the best case situation for the NFL. The Skins and Cowgirls have already felt some punishment, by having to alter their FA plans. The NFL got their pound of flesh (vice the the arm and leg) they wanted and the Skins and Cowgirls get their cap back and come out looking like they won.

I think this just goes away.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Penalty

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration.

I actually think this will get resolved at the owners meeting starting today or tomorrow. Dan and JJ will force the owners to take a vote to make this cap hit official. The NFL won't get the required votes and the cap his will quietly go away. This is the best case situation for the NFL. The Skins and Cowgirls have already felt some punishment, by having to alter their FA plans. The NFL got their pound of flesh (vice the the arm and leg) they wanted and the Skins and Cowgirls get their cap back and come out looking like they won.

I think this just goes away.


I hope you're right, but I don't think Goodell would go for it. It would make it appear Danny and Jerry won. I think he's going to press it and end up with a bigger loss and more egg on his face.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

the 'mudge
Posts: 14797
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 am

Ummm... Godell doesn't have the power of veto over the owners... THEY employ HIM. Additionally, he was just doing the bidding of that ass, Mara. If I'm Danny, I not only want the cap restored, and I want Mara penalized somehow for this obvious attempt to cripple division rivals.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Penalty

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:34 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration.

I actually think this will get resolved at the owners meeting starting today or tomorrow. Dan and JJ will force the owners to take a vote to make this cap hit official. The NFL won't get the required votes and the cap his will quietly go away. This is the best case situation for the NFL. The Skins and Cowgirls have already felt some punishment, by having to alter their FA plans. The NFL got their pound of flesh (vice the the arm and leg) they wanted and the Skins and Cowgirls get their cap back and come out looking like they won.

I think this just goes away.


That's step #1 and it may in there, if not it's on to arbitration (step #2) if neither option gets this resolved step three would be to take the league to court.

The only hold up to the owners resolving by a vote is the $1.6M the owners may have to give back, and what to do about the 2012 cap (considering it would have been around $114M if the room hadn't been taken from the teams.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Penalty

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:40 am

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:There is a third option between the nuclear option and the bend-over-and-take-it option, and that's arbitration.

I actually think this will get resolved at the owners meeting starting today or tomorrow. Dan and JJ will force the owners to take a vote to make this cap hit official. The NFL won't get the required votes and the cap his will quietly go away. This is the best case situation for the NFL. The Skins and Cowgirls have already felt some punishment, by having to alter their FA plans. The NFL got their pound of flesh (vice the the arm and leg) they wanted and the Skins and Cowgirls get their cap back and come out looking like they won.

I think this just goes away.


That's step #1 and it may in there, if not it's on to arbitration (step #2) if neither option gets this resolved step three would be to take the league to court.

The only hold up to the owners resolving by a vote is the $1.6M the owners may have to give back, and what to do about the 2012 cap (considering it would have been around $114M if the room hadn't been taken from the teams.


Or they could..... do this
A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Cowboys and Redskins have filed a formal grievance against the NFL, the NFL Management Council, and the NFL Players Association challenging the agreement to remove and redistribute cap space allocated to the Cowboys and Redskins in exchange for increasing the total salary cap for 2012 to $120.6 million per team.

Not many details currently are known about the grievance. The other 30 teams will receive a full briefing this week, at the league meetings in Florida.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 am

Countertrey wrote:Ummm... Godell doesn't have the power of veto over the owners... THEY employ HIM


He just screwed two of the people who "employ HIM"
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football