Champ, LaVar, Laveranues, Randy, and Chris to the Pro Bowl!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Champ, LaVar, Laveranues, Randy, and Chris to the Pro Bowl!

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:54 pm

Arrington, Bailey Earn Pro Bowl Nods
12/18/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com

Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Champ Bailey will represent the NFC at the 2004 Pro Bowl in Honolulu, Hawaii, marking the third straight trip for Arrington and fourth straight for Bailey.

In addition, the Redskins also have three players who were named alternates to the 2004 Pro Bowl and will receive invitations if players cannot play in the game due to injury. Wide receiver Laveranues Coles was named first alternate and offensive linemen Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels were named third alternates.

Bailey, widely regarded as one of the top shutdown corners in the NFL, is the first Redskins player since linebacker Ken Harvey to be named to the Pro Bowl four straight times.

Although intercepting only two passes this season to date, Bailey is charged with guarding the opponents’ top receiving threat week-in and week-out. This season he has 16 passes defensed, 65 tackles (56 solo), two tackles for loss, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble through 14 games.

“I thought I had a pretty good year, but as a team I just wish we could have topped it off with a good year, too," Bailey said on Thursday. "It’s one of those things where you want to go, but you want to win, too."

"Regardless of what goes on around me, I’m still going to go out and do my job. I can’t let myself get down when we’re not winning. I have to keep playing hard, because you never know when this will turn around. And I want to be one of the causes of why we win."

This season, Arrington maintained his status as one of the most explosive and dominant players in the league with his athletic and play-making abilities. Through 14 games, Arrington has already posted his third straight 100+ tackle season with 104 (67 solo) tackles. He is second on the team in sacks with 5.0.

Arrington also leads the team in other defensive categories: quarterback pressures (13), passes defensed (20), forced fumbles (6), fumble recoveries (2) and tackles for loss (2).

"“It’s been a long year—things haven’t went the way they should have—but still guys keep pressing on, and I just want to thank my teammates and thank the fans from the bottom of my heart for voting for me,” Arrington said on Thursday. “It’s a proud honor and hopefully I can go over there and represent the team well.

“It means a lot [coming from my peers] and it definitely means a whole lot coming from the fans. I hate to sound selfish, but I needed it.”

First alternate Coles has recorded 69 catches for 1,023 yards and four touchdowns through 14 games and is tied for eighth in catches and seventh in yards for the NFC.

Third alternates Thomas and Samuels help lead the Redskins' offensive line. Thomas has started all 14 games this season, and Samuels has started 11, sidelined the last three games with a knee sprain.

The entire Pro Bowl squad for both the AFC and NFC will be announced tonight on ESPN on the 2004 Pro Bowl Selection Show. Starters at each position will be announced during the first round of the playoffs.

The teams are voted upon by NFL players and coaches, which count for two-thirds of the process. Fans' votes count as one-third.

The 2004 Pro Bowl will be broadcast on ESPN in prime time on Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 7:30 p.m. EST.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:35 pm

i'm definantly convinced the pro bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest. no redskin deserves to be in the best of the best this year.....especially lavar and champ. LC and Thomas have have better years than those guys, they deserve to be alternates.. and samuels :lol: what a joke, how many sacks slipped by his end this season..... should be renamed the "groupie" bowl.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:25 pm

Really!!! Simion Rice made the pro bowl on the day he played against CS. Smoot had a better year then Champ :?:
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:10 pm

I think Coles and Thomas were the only Redskins worthy of Pro Bowl consideration. Congrats to those two. The rest of em don't deserve squat in my opinion.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piglet

Postby shorebird » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:28 am

I feel for the guts Ramsey showed while getting pummeled behind the Skins line before suffering a season ending injury, he's your MVP. His numbers might not suggest a Pro Bowl, but give him time and he'll get there.
I have a lot of class, it's just all third.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:20 pm

Agreed on all fronts....what a joke the probowl is! LA and CB are you kidding me? Trotter and Smoot had better years.

Congrats to Coles and Thomas.....those two deserved it.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football