Snyder & Allen cannot find anyone to work for them ...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: 2018 is done - looks like more of the same in 2019

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Unsurprising, but also unbelievable...

Bruce Allen to oversee both football and business in Washington
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 11, 2019, 3:25 PM EST
Getty Images

Bruce Allen isn’t going anywhere.

Allen will remain the team president in Washington and oversee both football and business operations in 2019, team spokesman Tony Wylie told the Washington Post.

“There was never any question about this,” Wylie said. “Of course he’s coming back.”

There may not have been any questions internally, but on the outside there were questions, both because a lot of fans blame Allen for the team’s declining fortunes, and because it was unclear where Allen stood after the major shakeup in Washington’s front office.

But Allen only has to satisfy one person, and that’s owner Dan Snyder. And Snyder is satisfied with Allen’s job performance and hopes Allen can help him get a new stadium built within the next decade. So no matter how many fans want Allen out, there are no indications that Snyder is going to get rid of him, this year, next year or ever.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ashington/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 pm

So with that clarified, Gruden's job becomes day to day during 2019.
He'll be the fall guy if the team sucks next season.

I feel this is the same old movie we saw with Vinny. ("Trust us, we have a plan. We know more than you do")
Only this time Allen has some football and political pedigree

I think Allen has now been
with us longer than Vinny was? Ten years almost?

Can't say the results have been dramatically different.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:58 pm

The Washington Post story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 71f0a9d735

Bruce Allen to remain as Redskins president, will have expanded role on business side

By Les Carpenter January 11 at 3:03 PM

Redskins President Bruce Allen is remaining in his role overseeing football operations and will also assume control of the business side of the franchise, the Redskins said Friday.

Allen had moved to a football-only role last year, when team owner Daniel Snyder hired former NFL executive Brian Lafemina to run the Redskins' business operations. Lafemina was fired the day after Christmas just eight months into his job and Allen has since moved back to his old position, the Redskins said.

“There was never any question about this,” Tony Wyllie, the team’s senior vice president for communications, said Friday when asked about Allen’s status. “Of course he’s coming back.”

...But several people around the NFL with knowledge of the Redskins plans say Snyder remains comfortable with Allen in charge, and the owner has now rewarded him with total control over the team’s football and business operations.

Allen continues to play a key role in securing a new stadium for the team, which Snyder would like to see built by 2027, when the franchise’s original agreement to hold its home games at the FedEx Field site expires.

Allen and Snyder had worked late last year with Trump administration officials and Republican lawmakers in Congress to pass a provision that would allow the federal land where RFK Stadium is located in the District to be developed commercially as part of a site for a new Redskins stadium. The attempt died when Congress failed to pass a spending bill in December, and the status of the team’s efforts to find a new stadium location remains up in the air.

Because Allen served as a sort of co-general manager under Shanahan and then oversaw the personnel side of the team when Shanahan was replaced as head coach by Jay Gruden in 2014, he has been blamed for much of the Redskins’ on-field failures. Among those are the 2010 trade for McNabb, who was signed to a five-year, $78 million extension before being released at season’s end, and the 2012 trade of three first round draft picks for the second pick in the draft and the selection of Griffin, whose tumultuous run with the team ended three seasons later. Allen is also blamed for mismanaging negotiations with quarterback Kirk Cousins, who became a free agent after the 2017 season and signed with Minnesota.

His trade of a 2018 third-round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller for quarterback Alex Smith last offseason proved unfortunate, given Smith’s horrific leg injury in November that has put the passer’s playing future in jeopardy less than a season into a contract that guarantees him $55 million.

Among Allen’s many controversies is his 2015 hiring of general manager Scot McCloughan, a proven talent evaluator who openly battled alcohol problems. McCloughan improved the Redskins roster, filling the team with players who won the NFC East in 2015, but was fired two years later.

As attendance dwindled over the last couple years, many fans pointed to Allen as a key reason for their declining interest in the team. Many saw the team’s lack of depth and flimsiness at skill positions as Allen’s fault.

He also was criticized for the Cousins fiasco, in which the Redskins were unable to sign the quarterback to a longterm deal, saddling him with the franchise tag two straight seasons until doing so a third time proved financially impossible.

Skins History Buff

Re: Dan Snyder & Bruce Allen not changing anything .. for no

Postby welch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Post reports that Snyder has decided (according to "sources close to" etc):

- Keep Gruden

- Keep Allen

- Upgrade the coaches, but could not find a defensive coordinator, so he will keep Greg Manusky.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... b8878c2ca5

Despite speaking to several former head coaches who were once top defensive coordinators in the NFL, the Redskins plan on keeping defensive coordinator Greg Manusky.

This ends a strange two-week period in which the team was linked to meetings with Gregg Williams, Todd Bowles and Steve Wilks — all of whom had been fired as head coaches at season’s end. Normally, when teams speak with potential coordinators, they have an opening. But Washington talked to all three without letting go of Manusky, who just completed his second season as the Redskins' defensive coordinator.

A person with knowledge of Washington’s offseason plans said Coach Jay Gruden was looking for “different perspectives” in the conversations with outside coaches.

A juicy quote:

Improving the coaching staff is believed to be a mandate of team owner Daniel Snyder. People familiar with the Redskins’ postseason planning said Snyder considered firing Gruden after the team failed to make the playoffs for the fourth time in Gruden’s five years as head coach. Ultimately, Snyder decided to keep Gruden, who has two years remaining on a contract extension signed in the spring of 2017. In retaining Gruden and expanding the role of team president Bruce Allen, Snyder is said to have hoped he could make upgrades on the coaching staff. It is unclear what those upgrades will be, particularly with Manusky remaining as defensive coordinator.

Same old Snyder.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 pm

welch wrote:Post reports that Snyder has decided (according to "sources close to" etc):

- Keep Gruden

- Keep Allen

- Upgrade the coaches, but could not find a defensive coordinator, so he will keep Greg Manusky.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... b8878c2ca5

Despite speaking to several former head coaches who were once top defensive coordinators in the NFL, the Redskins plan on keeping defensive coordinator Greg Manusky.

This ends a strange two-week period in which the team was linked to meetings with Gregg Williams, Todd Bowles and Steve Wilks — all of whom had been fired as head coaches at season’s end. Normally, when teams speak with potential coordinators, they have an opening. But Washington talked to all three without letting go of Manusky, who just completed his second season as the Redskins' defensive coordinator.

A person with knowledge of Washington’s offseason plans said Coach Jay Gruden was looking for “different perspectives” in the conversations with outside coaches.

A juicy quote:

Improving the coaching staff is believed to be a mandate of team owner Daniel Snyder. People familiar with the Redskins’ postseason planning said Snyder considered firing Gruden after the team failed to make the playoffs for the fourth time in Gruden’s five years as head coach. Ultimately, Snyder decided to keep Gruden, who has two years remaining on a contract extension signed in the spring of 2017. In retaining Gruden and expanding the role of team president Bruce Allen, Snyder is said to have hoped he could make upgrades on the coaching staff. It is unclear what those upgrades will be, particularly with Manusky remaining as defensive coordinator.

Same old Snyder.

Nobody worth a *sh$t* wants to coach for the Washington Redskins. Snyder is even dumber than I thought if he believes qualified people are taking a job with the Redskins over any other team.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am

At this point Snyder is going to have to hire someone who "commands the room" to get any real assistants here...good luck with that!! Other than that he is stuck with trying to find the next young coach...
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Re: Dan Snyder & Bruce Allen - we're sticking with mediocrit

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 am

You know we've had a lot of discussions about the team missing out on players, not hiring certain coaches, etc; Watching the team right now unsuccessfully lure ANYBODY here for the DC job, not to mention the current coaches who are trying their best to get out of here, I think one has to conclude that basically nobody wants to come play or work here. At least nobody with better options.

Its not surprising but still kind of shocking. At least ten years ago, Snyder could blow people away with $$s they couldn't refuse. I don't know if he's no longer willing to go that route anymore or if people have realized its not worth the eventual hit to their reputations.

What do you think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 am

riggofan wrote:You know we've had a lot of discussions about the team missing out on players, not hiring certain coaches, etc; Watching the team right now unsuccessfully lure ANYBODY here for the DC job, not to mention the current coaches who are trying their best to get out of here, I think one has to conclude that basically nobody wants to come play or work here. At least nobody with better options.

Its not surprising but still kind of shocking. At least ten years ago, Snyder could blow people away with $$s they couldn't refuse. I don't know if he's no longer willing to go that route anymore or if people have realized its not worth the eventual hit to their reputations.

What do you think?

I'm sure Greg Manusky is just thrilled to know that he's only still there because no one else would take the job. That would make me want to give my best effort. The manner in which this organization conducts business from top to bottom is an exercise in how not to conduct business.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am

^^^^^ This!!! As I said the other day, what business does this...certainty not a successful one! Like I said Snyder will have to do his best to lure a proven GM here and let him make every other football decision. That's the only way I see coaches coming here in the future. Gruden is on a game by game basis right now, what assistant wants to coach in that environment?
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:I'm sure Greg Manusky is just thrilled to know that he's only still there because no one else would take the job. That would make me want to give my best effort. The manner in which this organization conducts business from top to bottom is an exercise in how not to conduct business.

I know you guys have this opinion, but not one that bothers me especially. If Manusky doesn't give "his best effort" he'll be fired next year and its not going to make it any easier to get his next job. I don't see it as any different than drafting a running back in the first round when you already have four RBs on the roster. Manusky knows he's on the hot seat.

Still, I agree it doesn't help with the dysfunction at Redskins Park. You'd like to see everyone there united and working together. That's clearly not the case.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:06 pm

yikes:
Grant Paulsen
‏Verified account @granthpaulsen

Talked to Kyle Shanahan for my @TheAthletic story: “What I regret it for was my dad. He had earned a better situation than that. My dad was as good a coach as I’ve ever been around. He could have gone anywhere. It’s hard for me to know he wasted (his last chance) on Washington.”
11:37 AM - 18 Jan 2019

I'm telling you, guys: we can quit dreaming about any big time coaching hires here for the foreseeable future. This place is officially toxic.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm

riggofan wrote:yikes:
Grant Paulsen
‏Verified account @granthpaulsen

Talked to Kyle Shanahan for my @TheAthletic story: “What I regret it for was my dad. He had earned a better situation than that. My dad was as good a coach as I’ve ever been around. He could have gone anywhere. It’s hard for me to know he wasted (his last chance) on Washington.”
11:37 AM - 18 Jan 2019

I'm telling you, guys: we can quit dreaming about any big time coaching hires here for the foreseeable future. This place is officially toxic.

Well, yes. You don't bring in offensive guru Mike Shanahan and then completely ignore him when he tells you not to mortgage the future for RGIII, a player he knew lacked the skills to be a pocket passer at the NFL level.

08 Champ

Snyder & Allen cannot find anyone to work for them ...

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:16 am

this from JLC ... https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dan- ... n-in-2020/

Snyder flew Bowles, an accomplished former safety with the team who was recently fired as the Jets head coach, to the Washington team facility and made a concerted attempt to convince him to take over the team's defense. While the sides did not enter into negotiations, sources said, Snyder was leading this push, not head coach Jay Gruden, and the owner made it clear he would compensate Bowles as well as any coordinator in the NFL and was also willing to alter his personnel structure within football operations if Bowles was interested
As one source with knowledge of the situation put it, "Dan put the full-court press on (Bowles). He didn't want to let him leave. He wanted to know what conditions it would take to get him to stay. If Todd had said, 'I'll only do it if I am the head coach,' I think he may have gone for it."

08 Champ

Re: Dan Snyder & Bruce Allen & employment issues

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:35 pm

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:I'm sure Greg Manusky is just thrilled to know that he's only still there because no one else would take the job. That would make me want to give my best effort. The manner in which this organization conducts business from top to bottom is an exercise in how not to conduct business.
I know you guys have this opinion, but not one that bothers me especially. If Manusky doesn't give "his best effort" he'll be fired next year and its not going to make it any easier to get his next job. I don't see it as any different than drafting a running back in the first round when you already have four RBs on the roster. Manusky knows he's on the hot seat. Still, I agree it doesn't help with the dysfunction at Redskins Park. You'd like to see everyone there united and working together. That's clearly not the case.

Bruce Allen is a clear indication that not doing your job well is not going to result in your losing your job - this franchise has many people that are not doing their jobs well (maybe even intentionally :shock:) but they are still here because it's not easy to get anyone better to join this franchise

I'm sure that the coaching staff will be looked at for what they might do and not so much for what they did do at such a dysfunctional place

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football