Supplemental Draft - Adonis Alexander

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Supplemental Draft - Adonis Alexander

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Redskins bolster Virginia Tech pipeline, add Adonis Alexander in supplemental draft
https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/f ... 989f8.html

Former Virginia Tech cornerback Adonis Alexander, dismissed from the Hokies on June 1, has been selected by the Washington Redskins, in the NFL’s supplemental draft.

The Redskins gave up a sixth-round pick in next year’s draft to take the 6-foot-2, 207-pound Charlotte native.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Re: Supplemental Draft - Adonis Alexander

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Some notes from Keim:

John Keim
‏Verified account @john_keim
58m58 minutes ago

John Keim Retweeted Adam Schefter

And here you go... Skins had 3 people at his pro day; know his agent (Andy Ross) very well -- also has Tim settle, Mo Harris, Ziggy Hood... and Torrian Gray had him one year at Tech.

John Keim
42m42 minutes ago

I know Alexander has some versatility. Some talk by other teams about S... But Sounds like Skins like him best at corner. If better time in 40, likely gone higher so Skins rather fired up getting him in 6th. (now lose a 6th round pick in spring)

John Keim
11m11 minutes ago

With his size, Alexander should work well as a press corner in a cover-3. Can never have enough young corners. Sort of like pass rushers. Always need 'em. See who develops at primary positions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Think I read somewhere that we're expected to pick up something like four compensatory picks in 2019, so a 6th rounder for a DB they like seems like a decent move.

Yeah, here's the compensatory picks link btw:
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... -nfl-draft

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 pm

I found this interesting:

Redskins selected Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander with a sixth-round pick in the 2018 supplemental draft.

The Redskins will surrender a 2019 sixth-rounder. Western Michigan CB Sam Beal was taken in the third round by the Giants, and Beal had clearly separated himself from Alexander as the draft's top prospect. Alexander stands 6'2/195 but ran a 4.60 forty at his Pro Day with a 35.5-inch vertical and just nine bench-press reps. He had a number of off-field issues in college and was ruled academically ineligible before declaring for the supplemental draft. He's merely a late-round flier who should get at least one year to stick at the end of the roster. Alexander is unlikely to make a rookie-year impact barring injuries.
Jul 11 - 2:03 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 am

Yeah. Third round pick in the supplemental is pretty expensive IMO. Will be interesting to see if the Giants get that value from Beal.

Totally agree with the late round flier assessment on Alexander. But given that we have some extra picks to play with and he's a guy that our coaching staff knows, I don't mind the move at all.

Also did I mention: **** the Giants? :)

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:26 pm

riggofan wrote:Think I read somewhere that we're expected to pick up something like four compensatory picks in 2019, so a 6th rounder for a DB they like seems like a decent move.

Yeah, here's the compensatory picks link btw:
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... -nfl-draft

The compensatory pick system is awful, but I'll admit it's nice to be on the positive side of it for once.
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:40 pm

True... So funny, man. I was curious when was the last time the team had received any compensatory picks. According to this article in 2014, the team was 28th in picks received. They received zero in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 so I can't imagine they've gone up much in that woeful ranking! :)

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wa ... raft-picks

If you look at the teams that have received the most compensatory picks since the system started in 1994 (go here and scroll down to the third page), you see some of the most consistently successful franchises in the NFL. There have been 20 Super Bowls since the system started and 15 have been won by teams in the top 10 in terms of the most comp picks awarded. That’s right, 75 percent.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Yep. It's basically a system that rewards the best teams in the league for losses they suffer during FA. Only the better teams can afford to play hardball with pending FAs who are only borderline worth what they are asking, because they will typically have the quality depth that gives them leverage to say "It was nice knowing you!" Giving them free draft picks on top of that as compensation only increases that leverage. It's ridiculous.

3rd and 4th round picks are no joke when it comes to compensation. Imagine if we had an extra Kendall Fuller or Jamison Crowder coming in every year or two . . .
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Wow that didn't take long:
Giants cornerback Sam Beal who was chosen in the supplemental draft is out for the year with a shoulder injury per source.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football