Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Re: Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Getting Smith is a plus and WR Richardson is an OK move - I doubt that Pryor is playing here; Fuller is gone and I think Breeland will be elsewhere also ... we need people in charge that can put a good scouting department together and know how to assemble an NFL roster

there's a good reason this franchise has such a terrible reputation - until we do things differently we should not expect things to get better

THANK GOD we DID NOT PAY COUSINS any more than we already have - HE's NOT WORTH IT
Last edited by SkinsJock on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoping that Dan Snyder will make sweeping changes is probably not realistic - shame that ...
we're looking at a couple of years to get better here - time to rebuild ... big time

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm

I read the posts on this thread and it's hard to tell how many posters are really Skins fans...I'd say -- if you aren't happy, why Post? Why not root for another team? Root for the Eagles, the Pats, the Cowboys...

I am not a fan of Danny but feel he has stepped away from player personnel moves over the past few years. Look at the moves we've made the past few years. We have not overspent for FAs and "big name" guys. We did some one year deals and have been building our team via the draft. Our four set OL are all draft picks. Our DLine has some free agent signings but our two best are draft picks. Our two WRs (before today) are picks, our best TE is a pick.

You can say we're a 7-9 team and I can't argue with that but look at or roster at the end of the year...ridiculous. We were using OL who barely could play in the Canadian FL. We had one of the tougher schedules, with more injuries than most teams and we were 3-4 mins away (Saints game) from being 8-8.

Adding Richardson and a CB in FA. Pick a DL/ILB in first and Rb in second, with depth picks in round 4-7 and I think we're going to be a 10 win team -- assuming normal number of injuries. If we are wiped out, all bets are off.

Our cap isn't a disaster -- someone is managing that pretty well.

If we get a quality DL and RB in draft, I see our team being considerably better this year than at the end of last year.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm

fredp45 wrote:I read the posts on this thread and it's hard to tell how many posters are really Skins fans...I'd say -- if you aren't happy, why Post? Why not root for another team? Root for the Eagles, the Pats, the Cowboys...

I've been a Redskin fan since 1953, when I was just old enough to know that we had a team. People are born Redskin fans. We don't choose, and who becomes a fan of a team by looking at who is really good??

I remember George Preston Marshall all too well. Dan Snyder is just as bad as GPM, and seems to despise Redskin fans just as deeply.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I don't care what anyone thinks about my status as a Redskins fan - I know how much of a fan I am and have been since 1972

I do not like the way this franchise is managed and screwed up by this owner - I used to look forward to each season - hoping that the results would be good, based on the talent level and the coaching - now we all know that under Dan Snyder's leadership and guidance we are going to hopefully win 8 games a season - winning 9 or 10 games is a dream season - Dan Snyder has never won 11 games

I always want the Redskins to win each and every game - I accept that we're not going to be a consistently good franchise while this idiot owner manages this franchise the way he does instead of realizing that he's just the owner and he does not know what he's doing

I don't like the way it is but I'm done with kidding myself that things could get better here if we just got this player or made a coaching change
this franchise is mediocre at best and it will continue to be so until Dan Snyder stops doing what he's doing - it is what it is

HTTR
Hoping that Dan Snyder will make sweeping changes is probably not realistic - shame that ...
we're looking at a couple of years to get better here - time to rebuild ... big time

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:45 am

Grant and Breeland out.. Richardson in.

Hope we can keep Brown
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't trust or believe in a single roster decision our FO makes. Even when keeping one of our own FAs seems like a no-brainer, I still question it when the signing comes.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 pm

There is a reason that this franchise is held in such low esteem - most everyone attributes that to Dan Snyder

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:55 am

Grant failed his physical so he is still a ?
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:53 pm

If he failed wth qould WE sign him??? Save the bromance he has with Gruden
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 am

Snyder and Allen seem to be in "win now" mode, rather than "rebuild". Even though the Redskins have bumped along at .500 for the last six or ten seasons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... 3cccb563d3

New acquisitions tout Redskins ability to win right away. But are they ready?
By Kareem Copeland March 21 at 9:41 AM

The Washington Redskins brought in two new players during this offseason that both immediately touted the opportunity to win as a reason they picked the organization. And these two – quarterback Alex Smith and cornerback Orlando Scandrick – have a combined 22 years of experience in the NFL. They should have the ability to read the league and an organization to tell if the proper things are in place. Smith didn’t hesitate to talk about chasing a championship when he was introduced last week.

So, are the Redskins truly close to competing on a high level, or are these just the things new acquisitions are supposed to say?

The way the organization has approached free agency seems to be a win-now approach. Bringing in a 33-year-old veteran quarterback that has led his team to the playoffs three consecutive seasons points to an immediate timetable for contention. The team could have looked to replace Kirk Cousins with a quarterback in the draft, even trying to move up from the No. 13 slot to land one of the big four of Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. Former Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson is the wildcard of the quarterback class and could even fall to Washington at 13.

<snip>

The Redskins lost two cornerbacks entering the prime of their career (Kendall Fuller and Bashaud Breeland), but instead of going young, they brought in a 10-year veteran, in Scandrick, 31. A younger player may have indicated a longer view, or it could be the team is placing value on Scandrick’s experience as younger corners Quinton Dunbar, 25, and Fabian Moreau, 23, get more seasoning.

The run game, ranked No. 28 in the league with 90.5 yards per game, is expected to be addressed via a deep draft class at the position.

However, Washington hasn’t yet splurged on a high-priced, peaking defensive linemen that could have helped address the biggest weakness in 2017 – the league’s worst run defense at 134.1 yards per game. Johnathan Hankins visited the Redskins this week, but left without a contract.

{Read the rest in the Post article}

Yes, evidence that Snyder/Allen thinks the Redskins are ready to win now, and just need a couple of patched-in players to go to the Super Bowl. Aside from 20 years experience watching Snyder/Cerrato/Allen puff up the team's chances, why should fans believe them now?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am

welch wrote:Snyder and Allen seem to be in "win now" mode, rather than "rebuild". Even though the Redskins have bumped along at .500 for the last six or ten seasons. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... 3cccb563d3
New acquisitions tout Redskins ability to win right away. But are they ready?
By Kareem Copeland March 21 at 9:41 AM

The Washington Redskins brought in two new players during this offseason that both immediately touted the opportunity to win as a reason they picked the organization. And these two – quarterback Alex Smith and cornerback Orlando Scandrick – have a combined 22 years of experience in the NFL. They should have the ability to read the league and an organization to tell if the proper things are in place. Smith didn’t hesitate to talk about chasing a championship when he was introduced last week.

So, are the Redskins truly close to competing on a high level, or are these just the things new acquisitions are supposed to say?
Yes, evidence that Snyder/Allen thinks the Redskins are ready to win now, and just need a couple of patched-in players to go to the Super Bowl. Aside from 20 years experience watching Snyder/Cerrato/Allen puff up the team's chances, why should fans believe them now?

thanks for that welch

that's the thing - I want the Redskins to get better - the past 20 years have proven that there's a reason that this franchise is regarded as a joke by most knowledgeable NFL people - more than half of the NFL teams have a good chance to win each and every game - history shows that we need to get lucky to win more than 8 games

after many years of having some high draft picks and having some very good players, we always seem to be in rebuilding mode

Dan Snyder is not selling but surely he can see what we all can see - Bruce Allen has not done much with what he's had

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Let's face it, this will a another season of rebuilding.

One or two players are not going to turn around the fortunes of this team.

You know the answer already: stack up on both the OL and DL. Get two good RBs.

Best examples are obvious: Jacksonville and Philly, maybe Dallas (hate to say it). Everything else is icing on the cake, including fancy Qb play.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm

I really hope the Redskins improve the O line & D line to where we have a good running game & a defense that is better at stopping the run

However, history has proven, no matter what we do, as long as the idiots are in charge, this franchise is going to be mediocre at best

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 am

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 am

as we all know - there's a lot of talented players in the NFL - since Dan Snyder took over, the results on the field have shown that it does not matter who is coaching or playing here - the Redskins win loss record and performance on the field does not match up with the talent and the coaching staff - a number of times the Redskins have put together a roster with talented players and a good NFL coaching staff - each season under Dan Snyder has been the same - the Redskins do not play up to expectations under this system

I'm all for this franchise becoming a consistent playoff contender again but I find it hard to believe that can happen while this owner continues to manage and put people in the FO and on the staff that support his way of doing things

Until Dan Snyder gets rid Bruce Allen and stops interfering - history has proven it does not matter who is coaching and playing here

I want to be wrong and I'll be hoping things will be better but I just can't believe anything will change

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football