PREDICTIONS on What Will Happen with Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: PREDICTIONS on What Will Happen with Cousins

Postby mastdark81 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Look here ladies and gents. Kirk's wants to set the tone for qb's in the future. He already said so in so many words. Skins would have to offer him 28-30 range per year with high bonus for him to sign this year. Derek Carr deal won't get it down where there is a expectation of a higher salary next year and possibility to go to 49ers

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Cousins is a far better QB than anyone else we've got - the question is should we pay him whatever it takes to keep him here or realize that he's not ever going to be worth that amount and hope that we can find someone else to build the franchise around

we don't have anyone in charge here that knows a damn thing about managing this franchise so it really doesn't matter how much we pay him or for how long - with or without Cousins we're a mediocre to bottom 10 franchise - having Cousins sign a long term deal here is not going to make much difference - he's not that good

Cousins is very fortunate financially that this franchise misjudged him so badly and doesn't have a clue about what it takes to put a competitive product on the field and there's no doubt that he would be better off playing somewhere else and making the same money as if he stayed here
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some fans think that things might improve even though Dan Snyder refuses to let it be managed like most other franchises

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm

2 days - they're cutting it close ... :shock:
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some fans think that things might improve even though Dan Snyder refuses to let it be managed like most other franchises

Hog

Postby oj » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am

Its obvious management dosn't want him here, 11th hour offers are not what is important to Cousins. He's gone, out'ta here.
Molon Labe

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am

we're almost there =D> - and the spin from the FO begins ... what a joke - there will be many here that will buy into it

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Colt McCoy/Nate Sudfeld 2018...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Dan Steinberg nails up pretty much everything I feel about this sh***y situation.

For Redskins, Kirk Cousins remains a franchise quarterback at arm’s length
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... 4586b7145b
Still, Cousins, his agent, Bruce Allen, his front office, and everyone else involved in this multi-year contract saga have managed to create one of the least-embraceable franchise quarterbacks in the history of franchise quarterbacks. Congrats?

Cousins exists on a perennial year-to-year contract. He displays as much unprompted affection to Washington as does Arya to House Frey. His front office trusts him so much that it keeps getting sort-of-but-not-really-close to a deal. He spends four months playing football, and eight months turning Washington sports-radio into Accounting Talk. He’s the quarterback Washington has sought for a generation, yet we spend every summer wondering whether it will be his last with the Redskins. His nickname might as well be Tag. It’s better than Hashtag, but not by much.

I just don’t know how you ask a fanbase to wrap its arms around a star who always seems to have one foot out the door. And it’s not too early to start dreading next January, when our third round of the Cousins Contract Calypso figures to begin.

That exactly. I can't fault Cousins trying to make the most of his particular situation, but it still sucks for any of us who care about the team.

Maybe the team is thinking the transition tag is an option next year. Personally I'm just tired of this nonsense. Sit him on the bench and start Sudfeld, so we can at least have the illusion of seeing a guy play for the team. I don't see the point.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we're almost there =D> - and the spin from the FO begins ... what a joke - there will be many here that will buy into it

Ridiculous spin from Bruce. I don't see what there is to "buy into".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm

it's only just beginning - by the time the season rolls around, there will be many predicting a chance at the playoffs

hooray! - another 8-8 or 9-7 season, even more important, our 3rd in a row - WTF - this franchise is a huge mess with no plan for the future

this franchise has no hope for success under this owner - the only players we can get or keep are those that are only here for the $

e m b a r r a s s i n g

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:This is not going to happen, is it. :(

No, and I don't understand why anyone ever thought it was. $58MM 100% guaranteed over two years is more than Cousins is going to see out of any contract.

I'll just leave this here ...
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby oj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 am

Since Cousins never responded with a counter offer it wasn't about money. He didn't respect the FO enough to negotiate. He's gone, he'll be here in flesh but I think he left back when he started that 'how do you like me now' stuff.
Managements job is to fix the problems, to address the issues behind that 'how do you like me now' in-your-face aggression and we see how well they handled that.
Cousins isn't stupid, he has a plan and he's following it. I believe his goal is to be inducted to the HoF and to do he'll have to have a long successful career with a team and a coach, probably who's first name is Sean.
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 am

Unnoticed bright spot of this whole fiasco: we'll finally get to see Jay Gruden's hand-picked QB in 2018.

Wohoo! (facepalm!)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 am

Irn-Bru wrote:This is not going to happen, is it. :(

No, and I don't understand why anyone ever thought it was. $58MM 100% guaranteed over two years is more than Cousins is going to see out of any contract.

I'll just leave this here ...

Not sure this was exactly a Nostradamus moment.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

oj wrote:Since Cousins never responded with a counter offer it wasn't about money. He didn't respect the FO enough to negotiate. He's gone, he'll be here in flesh but I think he left back when he started that 'how do you like me now' stuff.
Managements job is to fix the problems, to address the issues behind that 'how do you like me now' in-your-face aggression and we see how well they handled that.
Cousins isn't stupid, he has a plan and he's following it. I believe his goal is to be inducted to the HoF and to do he'll have to have a long successful career with a team and a coach, probably who's first name is Sean.

I agree that he is gone next year. No question. The only exception is if they transition tag him and match. Considering SF and CLE have WAY more cap room, that will most likely not happen.

With respect to the negotiation ---- if I were Cousins I wouldn't have responded to that offer either. It was basically an offer containing all the guaranteed money he will 100% receive in the future. So basically, it was an offer of absolutely nothing --- AT BEST. In fact, it was an offer FOR LESS than he'd be making if he just didn't sign. Literally negative dollars in guarantees when you consider the fact he is already guaranteed $24M and next year will either make: $34M, $28.7M or sign a long term deal with another team for most likely 5 years and (in addition to the $24 he's getting this year) another $60-70M guaranteed (for a total of $84-94M).

WTF would anyone go for that???????? Cousins is no fool but our FO is treating him like one. Before yesterday I was beginning to become upset with Cousins and why a deal hadn't been done. After reading Bruce's ridiculous statement, I now am back to just feeling sorry for Cousins.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am

SkinsJock wrote:it's only just beginning - by the time the season rolls around, there will be many predicting a chance at the playoffs

hooray! - another 8-8 or 9-7 season, even more important, our 3rd in a row - WTF - this franchise is a huge mess with no plan for the future

I have no idea if the team will make the playoffs this year or not. Its not really the issue. Not getting a deal done with Kirk doesn't mean they can't or won't make the playoffs. The team is what it is going into this year either way.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football