Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
||||||

Re: Colt McCoy is a Redskin

Postby EA7649 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm

McCoy is a quality back up qb.
This is good with rg3's injury history.
If we need a back up behind Cousins or what not (who is performing better gets the start if rg3 gets hurt).
If we get something for Cousins in a trade, we have are fine with the back up qb.
McCoy didn't kill the wallet.

In end: This creates more options!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:06 am

BossHog wrote:*flashes in for a brief message board appearance*

Why would the Redskins bring in Colt Mccoy, to shop Kirk Cousins, and then if they are successful, go get a number two?

That seems silly to me.

Look, if you are on the side that they brought Colt McCoy in to allow them to allow for a trade of Kirk Cousins if it arises, you CAN'T say with any certainty that they didn't bring Colt McCoy in to be the second QB, not in my opinion. They don't likely want to go through the rigamarole of finding another number two even later in the offseason process, if they DO get rid of Cousins. IMO, they're going to have McCoy be the backup if that happens.

And they'll likely only move Cousins for a second or 3rd round pick, so they can grab a quarterback that is serviceable there or anywhere else in the draft for a 'camp arm', so that isn't ALL Colt McCoy was brought in to be either.

I think the truth of it is, that you are ALL right. :)

1) Colt McCoy WAS brought in to be 'an arm' at camp.

2) An arm that is significant enough, that he CAN fill the number two role, if a good deal for Cousins pops up. He has career NFL starts under his belt - he qualifies, I assure you. You may not think the world of it, but there isn't much to suggest that he's much less capable than Kirk Cousins, is there?

3) if they don't get a deal, and they keep Cousins, not only do they have an arm at camp, but they have a soft enough contract that Colt can fill the clipboard carrying 3rd QB role. This guy isn't here to disappear either, so he has something to prove - even if its just that he has a good attitude, a good work ethic, and the desire to try and keep working for a shot... here OR somewhere else.

Cousins is a decent backup for sure - so i am sure that the Redskins will want to see a pretty high draft pick to run the risk of going in another direction at backup quarterback - after all, quarterback number one DID have pretty significant knee surgery.

Just one more thing to think about... if you concede that the backup in Washington IS more significant because of Bob's injury - then how do you not also at least think about the fact that another coach may not share the Shanahan philosophy of just two quarterbacks on the roster? After all - it's a rough game out there. if Gruden differs in that, and that alone - it's justification for Colt McCoy being signed JUST TO BE THE NUMBER THREE GUY.

So you see... maybe you can't figure out which one of you is correct because you're trying too hard to be the one who is "right". Personally, i think there's an element of truth to all of the scenarios. And if that weren't true, then it wouldn't create any extra "market value" for Cousins, because the other teams GMs would just see McCoy as window dressing.

That's what makes the Colt McCoy signing such an excellent one, in my opinion.

2 cents

Personally I dont care if I am right. I only seek the truth in matters. Once I believe the truth is found or some logic or common sense in matters then I am satisfied. That being said you bring up some good points.

You may be right. Gruden may just like to have as many QBs as possible on the roster.

From my point of view. I really dont put much value in the backup QB position. So you can imagine what I think of the third string QB.

Anyhow I should have said that we have the flexibility or more options with the draft approaching to aquire draft picks or players. Truth is only Allen and Gruden know what they are planning. But from my view aquiring Mccoy gives us a backup in case we trade Kirk.

With the draft approaching. Believe me there is going to be a team who leaves the draft without a solid QB. I guarantee at least one team will inquire about Kirk. When that happens we are now in better position to give up Kirk if the deal makes sense.

I mean how many teams need a QB? I can think of at least ten and this QB class in the draft isn't the strongest either.

Ehhh I guess I just think Mccoy is a panzy. Ever since that National Championship in which I seen him sit out the game. I never liked him after that. Then seeing him get lit up by Harrison didnt help either. I dont know him personally but as a football player I dont like him.

But if you guys are happy with the signing. Dont let me poop in your corn flakes. LOL!

I dont mind being wrong if Mccoy can help us win games.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:23 am

HEROHAMO wrote:You may be right. Gruden may just like to have as many QBs as possible on the roster.

What does it have to do with Gruden? Can you name a single team that is going to go into training camp without three or four QBs on the roster. Of course not. Its not some personal quirk unique to Jay Gruden.

HEROHAMO wrote:Anyhow I should have said that we have the flexibility or more options with the draft approaching to aquire draft picks or players. Truth is only Allen and Gruden know what they are planning. But from my view aquiring Mccoy gives us a backup in case we trade Kirk.

All true. I don't think you'll find anybody who disagrees with that. You could say the exact same thing about Rex Grossman last year. If we had traded Kirk Cousins last July, we would have had Grossman ready to move from #3 to #2 QB.

HEROHAMO wrote:With the draft approaching. Believe me there is going to be a team who leaves the draft without a solid QB. I guarantee at least one team will inquire about Kirk. When that happens we are now in better position to give up Kirk if the deal makes sense.

I don't disagree with anything you've written here. Somebody could inquire about Cousins, and yes we are in better position to trade Kirk because we have three QBs.

Here's a thought though for everybody. If we traded Cousins tomorrow, would you rather have Colt McCoy as your backup to RGIII or would you rather have Grossman as the backup? Might be a tossup now that the Shanahans are gone.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:53 am

I don't think Grossman is even on the roster right now.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 am

Deadskins wrote:I don't think Grossman is even on the roster right now.

No, he's not and he's not expected to be. Pretty sure they're paying McCoy less money too!

Hope I didn't imply that Grossman was still on the roster.

What did you think about that question though? If Cousins was traded, would you rather have Grossman or McCoy backing up RGIII?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 pm

There's really not much to say for either Grossman or McCoy as the #2 here - I'd guess McCoy might suit what these guys want better than Grossman

I just do not think that McCoy was brought in as anything more than a QB that they'd like to have here as another arm for now

McCoy will not be the #2 QB for long if in fact they trade Cousins

I doubt that we're going to get a high enough pick for Cousins but there are still some FO guys out there that might do something stupid - My 2 cents
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:06 pm

SkinsJock wrote:There's really not much to say for either Grossman or McCoy as the #2 here - I'd guess McCoy might suit what these guys want better than Grossman

I can buy that argument with Grossman. He definitely had some value while Kyle was here, and I thought he was a good guy to bring off the bench if we needed. Not sure that is the case in a new system with Gruden.

SkinsJock wrote:I just do not think that McCoy was brought in as anything more than a QB that they'd like to have here as another arm for now

McCoy will not be the #2 QB for long if in fact they trade Cousins

I don't know. He has real game experience, so its not like he doesn't have value as a backup. He also backed up Kaepernick all of last year as the #2 QB, so again, there's no reason to think he couldn't do that here.

Then again, the 49ers traded for Blaine Gabbert to replace him. That sort of blows my mind. :)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:39 pm

riggofan wrote:What did you think about that question though? If Cousins was traded, would you rather have Grossman or McCoy backing up RGIII?

I haven't seen enough of McCoy to rate him, but Grossman would no longer be in Kyle's system, so that would set him back a bit. Still, Rex has enough experience to probably pick up the system quicker than Colt, but Colt is probably more atheletic and has a stronger arm. It's a toss up.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Ehhh if it wasnt for Grossmans boneheadedness I would rather have him. Grossman has a far better arm but not as athletic as Mccoy. Also Mccoy can see the field he just cant make the throws necessary. Mccoy has one of the weakest arms as far as QBs go. Grossman has the arm but is just a bonehead in the most critical moments. So yeah its a toss up.

One has all the physical attributes but just does not have it upstairs(Grossman). The other has it upstairs but does not possess the prototypical physical attributes of a QB(Mccoy).

Which is why we are fortunate to have two QBs RG3 and Kirk who have everything you would want in a QB. Well most everything.
RG3 is maybe the most athletic QB of all time with a cannon. Kirk also has a cannon and is very athletic. Both RG3 and Kirk under the right tutelage can be great QBs.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football