Reviews, challenges, and penalties

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
|||||||

Reviews, challenges, and penalties

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:59 am

So, it's time to humour the limey folks.....

The commentary team on the Rams vs Redskins game made a great deal out of the fact that Jeff Fisher should have been penalised for challenging the Steven Jackson "fumble" on the goal line. The rule is that coaches cannot challenge any plays which are automatically reviewable by the officials.

My question is this: what the heck is the point of such a rule? Apart from looking a bit silly for challenging when he doesn't need to, what possible harm did Fisher cause by throwing the red flag? Is this yet another case of the NFL creating a rule for the sake of it, or is there some underlying common sense reason which I can't see, for making this an offense punishable by penalty?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 am

Maybe delay of game, or unsportsmanlike conduct similar to calling two consecutive time outs? I didn't hear the commentary, and don't know of any such rule, but two 15 yard penalties might have moved them out of field goal range. I was a little pissed when they kept showing Jackson sticking the ball over the goal line, though, as if it happened during the play. He was stopped, and the whistle had blown the play dead, before he did that. It also couldn't be seen when his knees hit the ground in relation to the ball and the goal line. You have to go with the call on the field.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Re: Reviews, challenges, and penalties

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:The commentary team on the Rams vs Redskins game made a great deal out of the fact that Jeff Fisher should have been penalised for challenging the Steven Jackson "fumble" on the goal line. The rule is that coaches cannot challenge any plays which are automatically reviewable by the officials

The announcers were complete morons. They said that after they said Fischer should challenge the call. They were worse then the refs.

But the reason they have rules like that is it's considered a delay of game. Challenges in scoring and turnovers are to be initiated from "upstairs" so if the coach challenges, they are getting a free time out. If they feel the call is wrong, they can in fact call a time out to give them more time, but they can't just stall, which is what they are doing. Suppose they are the team driving and they "challenge" and the refs stop the clock. They are expected to know the rules.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:The commentary team on the Rams vs Redskins game made a great deal out of the fact that Jeff Fisher should have been penalised for challenging the Steven Jackson "fumble" on the goal line. The rule is that coaches cannot challenge any plays which are automatically reviewable by the officials

The announcers were complete morons. They said that after they said Fischer should challenge the call. They were worse then the refs.

But the reason they have rules like that is it's considered a delay of game. Challenges in scoring and turnovers are to be initiated from "upstairs" so if the coach challenges, they are getting a free time out. If they feel the call is wrong, they can in fact call a time out to give them more time, but they can't just stall, which is what they are doing. Suppose they are the team driving and they "challenge" and the refs stop the clock. They are expected to know the rules.

The announcers were morons, but Mike Perreira isn't - he backed up the claim that Fisher should have been penalised.

I see the logic behind the delay of game concept, but I'm not completely sold. Maybe that's just because so much other stuff went unpunished during the game, I think the NFL has bigger issues to worry about :evil:
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

The announcers were morons, but Mike Perreira isn't - he backed up the claim that Fisher should have been penalised.

I see the logic behind the delay of game concept, but I'm not completely sold. Maybe that's just because so much other stuff went unpunished during the game, I think the NFL has bigger issues to worry about :evil:

It was odd that Shannahan seemed to have called over the refs and pointed it out and they just refused to call it. And unfortunately you're right, that was not remotely the biggest issue they had. I didn't actually think the Saints game was called that bad. A couple stinkers, but the normal refs do that. But this one was dreadful.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:34 am

Yeah, these replacement refs suck! These boneheads couldn't ref their way out of a paper bag. I wish the league would just settle, and get these whackjobs off the field.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:24 am

Deadskins wrote:Yeah, these replacement refs suck! These boneheads couldn't ref their way out of a paper bag. I wish the league would just settle, and get these whackjobs off the field.

:shock: - where did that come from????

:lol:

altho ... I will agree, the officiating has not been great ... :roll:

I hope we see that the guys that have really made bad calls do NOT get any time on the field in the post season

I know the NFL will not 'publicize' that but I really hate stoopid AND biased refs
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:42 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Yeah, these replacement refs suck! These boneheads couldn't ref their way out of a paper bag. I wish the league would just settle, and get these whackjobs off the field.

:shock: - where did that come from????

What? You didn't see the avatar?
smh
The eyes are the first thing to go.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:So, it's time to humour the limey folks.....

The commentary team on the Rams vs Redskins game made a great deal out of the fact that Jeff Fisher should have been penalised for challenging the Steven Jackson "fumble" on the goal line. The rule is that coaches cannot challenge any plays which are automatically reviewable by the officials.

My question is this: what the heck is the point of such a rule? Apart from looking a bit silly for challenging when he doesn't need to, what possible harm did Fisher cause by throwing the red flag? Is this yet another case of the NFL creating a rule for the sake of it, or is there some underlying common sense reason which I can't see, for making this an offense punishable by penalty?

Excerpt from linked article:

Why these rules? Because in past years, some coaches have thrown a challenge flag to get the attention of officials or to slow the game down, knowing there wasn't a play to overturn. Then the officials go over to the coach, often get an earful, and there's no review of the play. Now there's a vehicle to punish coaches who throw a challenge flag in error.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z2DoSvl14z

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 am

DarthMonk wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:So, it's time to humour the limey folks.....

Excerpt from linked article:

Why these rules? Because in past years, some coaches have thrown a challenge flag to get the attention of officials or to slow the game down, knowing there wasn't a play to overturn. Then the officials go over to the coach, often get an earful, and there's no review of the play. Now there's a vehicle to punish coaches who throw a challenge flag in error.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z2DoSvl14z

DarthMonk

It's all well and good to punish them by a 15 yard penalty, but why not get the call right too? And what makes this rule supersede the rule about reviewing every scoring play?

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Football 101