2nd Round Gems

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

2nd Round Gems

Postby skins2357 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Everyone talks about drafting the BPA at 10, which would likely be Jones. But what some dont realize, is how incredibly deep this years draft is. If we could trade back once or numerous times to acquire as many 2nd-3rd rounders as possible, I think it would be the ideal situation. Below are 2nd rounders who fill a position of need (in order IMO) with their mock round in parentheses:

OLB -Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona (2nd) Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA (2nd) Sam Acho, DE/OLB, Texas (2nd) Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma (4th-6th)

OG - Marcus Cannon, G, TCU (2nd) Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State (2nd) Danny Watkins, G, Baylor (2nd) Stephen Wiesnewski, G/C, Penn State (2nd)

NT - Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton (2nd-3rd) Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss (2nd-3rd) Anthony Gray, NT, Southern Miss (4th-6th) Blaine Sumner, Colorado School of Mines, (5th - UDFA) - *MANCRUSH*

QB - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State (1st-2nd) Jake Locker, QB, Washington (1st-2nd) Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada (2nd) Andy Dalton, QB, TCU (2nd) Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas (2nd)

DE - Muhammed Wilkerson, DE/DT, Temple (2nd) Cameron Heyward, DE/DT (2nd)Christian Ballard, DE/DT, Iowa (2nd) Stephen Paea, DE/NT, Oregon State (2nd)

WR - Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh (2nd) Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (2nd) Titus Young, WR, Boise State )3rd)

Lets say we moved down a couple times and picked up 2 2nds...if we could come out the draft with QB Locker, OLB Acho and OG Hudson followed by Sumner in the late rounds I would be STOOOOOOOOKED!

Blaine Sumner is my sleeper and MANCRUSH, he is huge (6-2,340) and rediculously strong (52 reps @ 225, 805lb squat). He has the size and strength you need at the NT position, and many dont even have him ranked in the top 10 at NT. I think he could be a late round/UDFA steal. And best news is he wears #92 meaning we would have to free up the number :shock:

He holds the 2010 Raw Squat American Record (805 pounds). Check out the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Sn4O8dVW4&fea ture=player_embedded
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Half of these players are 3rd or 4th round prospects. I really prefer not to see the Redskins over-reaching just because they lack 3rd and 4th round picks.

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Nope their not. I checked against 2 mocks and a prospect tracker. The ones that are 3rd rounder or higher are stated as such
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 pm

I think they would love to trade back this year, but that's easier said than done.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:56 pm

Bla bla bla! :D

In the second round the Redskins select Jake Locker.
My intuition says Mikes Ego believes he can coach Locker up. Who is to doubt him? I have a strong suspicion our QB next year will be Jake Locker.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:47 pm

You might be right Hero but if MS really likes Locker he's grabbing him with his first pick
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:43 am

Lockers so tough to figure out. I have heard experts saying he is not getting past Minn in the 1st round, but then have seen other experts say he could go late 1st or early 2nd round. It seems that noone knows where this kid is going to get drafted. I would LOVE him in the 2nd, not so much at 10.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Bla bla bla! :D

In the second round the Redskins select Jake Locker.
My intuition says Mikes Ego believes he can coach Locker up. Who is to doubt him? I have a strong suspicion our QB next year will be Jake Locker.

I agree that there is a decent chance that Locker is our next qb. However, if he is, it's because we took him in the first, not the second round.
Suck and Luck

swine

Postby CajunSkin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:03 am

I would love to see them trade back and pick up another 2nd round. my only acception as if Robert Quinn falls to 10 I dont think we can pass him up. But i'd love to see us go Phil Taylor, Colin Kaepernick, Stephen Paea, Torrey Smith, Rodney Hudson work it out see who falls but 3 out of those 5 are some quality holes filled

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am

I'd have to agree - IF Mike wants Locker, he's taking him

IF we have to use the #10 pick, that player has to be a VERY big help here

we have so many needs and need to have a long term plan to really turn this franchise around - for too many years we have tried to improve for the short term wih hopes that things would work out welll for the long term - NOT HAPPENING - we need to make a long term plan and then stick with it

IF the future great QB is there we need to get him, then help prepare him and give him as much time as it takes - most QBs coming out of college need time to get ready

we need to replace almost everyone on the offensive line - that should give fans a clue as to how long it is going to take before we can have a decent offense

the same can be said of getting the players in here to play the 3-4 decently - it's not happening in one season - DUH

this FO might not have a lot of time because Snyder does not seem to me to be very patient - I just hope they realize the big mistakes they made last year by bringing in players that did not 'fit' and switching defensive schemes without the right players to execute it and ... and ... :roll:

these guys need to do a huge turnaround and just start the long process of replacing most of this roster with players that can do what we need to get done
we need players and coaches that will develop into a proper NFL team again over a period of time - the short term stuff is not working

this franchise has been hand-cuffed by bad management for over 10 years - we need to change that first
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 am

I like Jake Locker but he needs a year or two before he's ready to play. Someone mentioned that his accuracy can be closely associated with his footwork. He has more of a baseball stance when he throws which is the downside of his coaches at UW.

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:47 am

frankcal20 wrote:I like Jake Locker but he needs a year or two before he's ready to play. Someone mentioned that his accuracy can be closely associated with his footwork. He has more of a baseball stance when he throws which is the downside of his coaches at UW.
that could make sense since he was a stud baseball player too, maybe his poor coaching at UW didnt pick up on that?

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Last year as the draft got closer, some of the "experts" figured out that Mike wanted Trent Williams and they were right. Have some of the "experts" got Mike right again as we near the the draft? Locker at #10? If we believe that Mike is thinking long range like with his switching to a 3-4 last year, this rumor might carry some strong weight.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:46 am

After Locker's strong workouts, I started thinking that he could be back on Shanahan's radar... I believe that Shanahan will attempt to trade from the 10 spot, add another pick, and take Locker later in the first, but if he can't, I will not be surprised to see Locker's name posted at 10.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010