Mallett

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby fleetus » Sun May 01, 2011 11:00 am

funbuncher wrote:
fleetus wrote:and at #53 Mallett is still available...

Sensitive Nellie Smithian, sorry I spoke the truth too harshly. Obviously you have some man-love for Mallett. :lol: I watched both games completely and no he did not play exceptionally well in either. Make whatever excuses you want for him but his two biggest games were not his best.

Still, he's a decent QB. Just not the blue chip that some made him out to be. Nothing wrong with that. If he lands with the right team he could develop into a great player. Who thought Tom Brady would develop when they drafted him in the 6th round? Mallett will go where he deserves to go, late 2nd-3rd round where he will have plenty opportunity to show what he can do.

You're ignorant about Mallett, and you will eat your words.

I'm not ignorant about Mallett. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or awareness. I may be wrong about Mallett, sure. But not because I was wrong about his draft value. He got drafted at the end of the third round. Right where I told you he would go. I was simply pointing out that the ESPN/NFL network analyst consensus was that Mallett was a 1st round talent. 32 NFL teams just confirmed he is not.

He was saved from being a 4TH ROUND PICK by the Pats. It couldn't be a better situation for him. If he had been drafted by Cincy, Oakland, Cleveland or similar sucky team, his career would have derailed. I hope he gets three solid years behind Brady before starting or being traded.
Build through the draft!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun May 01, 2011 5:35 pm

SkinsJock wrote:right now the QB question remains with Beck signed and Grossman as a possibility - McNabb is surely gone ....

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Oh, I'm not sure about it - I would be very surprised that he will still be here if one of these other franchises offers something significant for his services - and I think they will

with this FO PLUS the Mike & Kyle deal, NOTHING would surprise me about what happens to the Washington Redskins' QBs

I still think that the starting QB for 2011 is not here yet AND we need to find the future great QB ASAP

thankfully they did not try and make do with any of the QBs that were in this draft class
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm

I say let's go with Rex Grossman for now.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Grossman's fine but I'm hoping they have someone that can be better :wink:

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 03, 2011 8:52 am

I loved all the trading down but felt we didn't do enough damage with the picking.

Every time someone else picked I held my breath hoping Mallet's name would not be said.

It was the worst when the Pats were on the clock. It occured to me Mallet is very Brady-esque ... tall, big arm, not terribly mobile, smart, accurate.

We finally got too cute and passed on him for the sake of a very late pick. We should have done more damage in rounds 2, 3, and 4. Then the Pats took Mallet. I wanted to puke.

Would have preferred Cam Jordan to Kerrigsan.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am

Got it, fleet. Just adding some (interesting?) info. Your point about modern day athletes and QBs is accurate for sure.

I agree with funbuncher that many will look dumb.

DarthMonk

fleetus wrote:Darth, whatever, doesn't change my point at all. QB's are held to a higher standard. And modern day players are scrutinized much more than in Riggins day.

I think Mallett is falling down the board, not because of drinking, but A) because of rumors of cocaine use along with the drinking. More importantly, B) he choked against Alabama and didn't look very decisive against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. His draft stock is tied mostly to his arm strength. He is not very mobile. and his accuracy is not stellar. Add the character concerns to his 2nd round grade and you get a 3rd round QB.

I wouldn't mind it if the Skins draft him, I just hope they don't waste one of their 2nd rounders on him. If they trade down from one of the 2nd round picks, then maybe he would be a good pick in the late 2nd, or 3rd round.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Tue May 03, 2011 9:32 am

fleetus wrote:
funbuncher wrote:
fleetus wrote:and at #53 Mallett is still available...

Sensitive Nellie Smithian, sorry I spoke the truth too harshly. Obviously you have some man-love for Mallett. :lol: I watched both games completely and no he did not play exceptionally well in either. Make whatever excuses you want for him but his two biggest games were not his best.

Still, he's a decent QB. Just not the blue chip that some made him out to be. Nothing wrong with that. If he lands with the right team he could develop into a great player. Who thought Tom Brady would develop when they drafted him in the 6th round? Mallett will go where he deserves to go, late 2nd-3rd round where he will have plenty opportunity to show what he can do.

You're ignorant about Mallett, and you will eat your words.

I'm not ignorant about Mallett. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or awareness. I may be wrong about Mallett, sure. But not because I was wrong about his draft value. He got drafted at the end of the third round. Right where I told you he would go. I was simply pointing out that the ESPN/NFL network analyst consensus was that Mallett was a 1st round talent. 32 NFL teams just confirmed he is not.

He was saved from being a 4TH ROUND PICK by the Pats. It couldn't be a better situation for him. If he had been drafted by Cincy, Oakland, Cleveland or similar sucky team, his career would have derailed. I hope he gets three solid years behind Brady before starting or being traded.

I know the definition of ignorant. That's why I chose it for you. Your analysis of him in previous posts makes it quite obvious that you did not spend any of your fall Saturday's actually watching him execute Petrino's offense. Belichick said that Mallet was the highest rated QB on their board. He said they took him even though they didnt need a QB because the value was too good to pass up, (though according to you he should have been a 4th round pick).

Considering our "perceived" need at QB, the fact that we didn't take him leads me to believe that his lack of mobility was a dealbreaker for Shanahan. If we learned anything last year, it was that he was determined to make the personnel fit his scheme, and not the other way around. If it meant that Derrick Dockery, Andre Carter and Albert Haynesworth become expensive bench weights, then so be it. If it means that we (a QB needy team) pass on Mallett 4 times while Belichick (who has Brady) scoops him up as a value pick, then so be that. Hey it's MS's prerogative to build the team as he pleases. Just hope this works out better than his first signature QB move.

I'm just sick of watching the Pats do this. I predicted this at the top of page 3 of this thread.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue May 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Bill B is a great HC - he's also a huge liar and is not a really well respected person - great coach though

although it's a little off topic - NOTHING can go bad enough for Petrino in my book - that guy is scum

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sun May 08, 2011 4:19 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I loved all the trading down but felt we didn't do enough damage with the picking.

Every time someone else picked I held my breath hoping Mallet's name would not be said.

It was the worst when the Pats were on the clock. It occured to me Mallet is very Brady-esque ... tall, big arm, not terribly mobile, smart, accurate.

We finally got too cute and passed on him for the sake of a very late pick. We should have done more damage in rounds 2, 3, and 4. Then the Pats took Mallet. I wanted to puke.

Would have preferred Cam Jordan to Kerrigsan.

DarthMonk

mallett might have attributes as a QB that liken him to Brady but they seem like completely different dudes off the field. its like GQ and Vibe.
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010