With the 10th pick, the Washington Redskins select....

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Well, we're close to coming back to the "best player available" argument. Not a bad argument. But I'd want the available wide receiver to be the best available player by quite a margin before the Redskins select one, IMO.

I don't mean to keep going back and forth with you on this, UK. I agree with you on this statement. I think Green is best by a wide margin which is why I'd love to take him with our first pick. I also agree with you in that if it's not him it's not by a wide margin and no way I take another receiver at #10 in this draft.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:22 am

absolutely agree Kazoo. IMO AJ Green is the only WR in this years draft to warrant the #10 pick. I dont want Julio Jones, Baldwin, Blackmon or anyone else. Green is the only WR that warrants the 10 pick IMO, but he wont be there so we should just stop arguing about that.

Im still holding out hope that Dareus will be there but I dont see him falling that far. Shanny might pull the trigger on a QB, but Im hoping that we go OLB. Im still looking at Ayers then Quinn then Kerrigan/Von Miller/Smith.

We need to build that defense, because even with a average offense, and great defense can keep you in the games. If you get a defense who can score, then watch out!

GO get a young OLB in the draft, a MLB in FA and stack the D Line through FA and later draft picks.
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 pm

When are we giving our picks away? .. oops I mean when is the draft?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:53 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:Well, we're close to coming back to the "best player available" argument. Not a bad argument. But I'd want the available wide receiver to be the best available player by quite a margin before the Redskins select one, IMO.

I don't mean to keep going back and forth with you on this, UK. I agree with you on this statement. I think Green is best by a wide margin which is why I'd love to take him with our first pick. I also agree with you in that if it's not him it's not by a wide margin and no way I take another receiver at #10 in this draft.

No worries. I just have a hard time believing that a wide receiver is ever worthy of that high a pick - let's put it down to personal preference. I'm going to head off and read up on the guy, look at some film etc. I'll get back to you ;-)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

No worries. I just have a hard time believing that a wide receiver is ever worthy of that high a pick - let's put it down to personal preference. I'm going to head off and read up on the guy, look at some film etc. I'll get back to you ;-)

OK, I look forward to your detailed analysis and ratings... :lol:
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

OK, I look forward to your detailed analysis and ratings... :lol:

Lol. Well, I've done a little research and my initial verdict - he's really quite good, isn't he? ;-) Certainly, he has great hands - highlight reel stuff. And he can run, and has great height. Looks like he could add a few pounds of muscle, but that shouldn't be difficult to do. I don't pretend to be enough of an expert to know whether he runs good routes, and I don't know what his worth ethic is like.

BUT, initial view? Yes, he's worthy of the number 10 pick, although he won't fall anywhere near that far. I still have my prejudices against drafting receives that high, but he does look outstanding. There is no nose tackle worthy of that pick this year, but I'd still prefer an outside linebacker.

However, all in all, I won't commit hari kiri if they pick Green ;-)

Lordy - I almost came off of the fence there!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:13 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Just fyi, I posted the below in another thread. Looks like that #10 pick historically has not been a great place to get a player...so if you can get a player (no matter the position, even if it's WR), you should go ahead and pick them.

Look at the last 10 drafts for the #10 pick...it's Tyson Alalu, Michael Crabtree, Jerod Mayo, Amobi Okoye, Matt Leinart, Mike Williams (WR), Dunta Robinson, Terrell Suggs, Levi Jones, Jamal Reynolds, and Travis Taylor. Of those picks, combined they have 5 Pro Bowls (and those 5 are by 2 players; 4 by Suggs, 1 by Mayo). 4 of those players were total busts for their team (Taylor, Reynolds, Leinart, Williams). So at the #10, history tells you that you have a 40% chance of getting a decent player, 40% chance of getting a bust, and 20% chance of getting a Pro Bowler.

History tells us that we shouldn't expect anything great from this pick.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:18 pm

So what history tells us is that we're screwed? Lol - well, at least that takes the pressure off!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 pm

The more I think about this, the more I want Robert Quinn. I have been listening and reading a lot about him. First off, he is bigger than Demarcus Ware, so he would work as a OLB as far as size goes. Secondly, the guy explodes off the ball in tape. Thirdly, the dude has won 5, let me repeat 5 state wrestling titles. That means the guy knows leverage and is tough as nails. Think about it, he was wrestling in 8th grade and beating grown men from high school.

The guy got suspended for dealing with an agent which many other players on the team got busted for as well. This guy is going to be a stud in my opinion and will be available when we pick. Having him and Orakpo would be just deadly and help out our secondary quite a bit.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:The more I think about this, the more I want Robert Quinn. I have been listening and reading a lot about him. First off, he is bigger than Demarcus Ware, so he would work as a OLB as far as size goes. Secondly, the guy explodes off the ball in tape. Thirdly, the dude has won 5, let me repeat 5 state wrestling titles. That means the guy knows leverage and is tough as nails. Think about it, he was wrestling in 8th grade and beating grown men from high school.

The guy got suspended for dealing with an agent which many other players on the team got busted for as well. This guy is going to be a stud in my opinion and will be available when we pick. Having him and Orakpo would be just deadly and help out our secondary quite a bit.

If he's the best pick and he's there @ the spot he's worth, then I'd be happy. I don't know where he's projected to go, so pardon the vagueness.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:The more I think about this, the more I want Robert Quinn. I have been listening and reading a lot about him. First off, he is bigger than Demarcus Ware, so he would work as a OLB as far as size goes. Secondly, the guy explodes off the ball in tape. Thirdly, the dude has won 5, let me repeat 5 state wrestling titles. That means the guy knows leverage and is tough as nails. Think about it, he was wrestling in 8th grade and beating grown men from high school.

Quinn is a "boom" or "bust" question mark only because he missed last season. If he is still there at 10, I would have to take him as well. I just don't think he will be there.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Quinn is a talent, but do you really want to use the #10 pick on a guy who last played in a football game in December of 2009? Not only would we be drafting a guy that hasn't played football in over a year, but we'd also be asking him to switch positions at a time when it's unclear how much offseason/training camp there is going to be given the labor problems.

The other problem with Quinn is that he tends to disappear in certain games. You look back at his last season, 2009, and in the five games he played in against decent teams....Va Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, FSU, and Pitt...and he totaled 16 total tackles (10 of which came against Ga Tech and their triple option offense) and zero sacks. The only teams that he recorded sacks against was Citadel, ECU, UVA, Duke, Georgia Southern and BC. Over half of his sacks came against UVA and Duke.

He's got the physical skills but he is far too much of a risk to use the #10 pick on.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

Quinn is a talent, but do you really want to use the #10 pick on a guy who last played in a football game in December of 2009? Not only would we be drafting a guy that hasn't played football in over a year, but we'd also be asking him to switch positions at a time when it's unclear how much offseason/training camp there is going to be given the labor problems.

The other problem with Quinn is that he tends to disappear in certain games. You look back at his last season, 2009, and in the five games he played in against decent teams....Va Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, FSU, and Pitt...and he totaled 16 total tackles (10 of which came against Ga Tech and their triple option offense) and zero sacks. The only teams that he recorded sacks against was Citadel, ECU, UVA, Duke, Georgia Southern and BC. Over half of his sacks came against UVA and Duke.

He's got the physical skills but he is far too much of a risk to use the #10 pick on.

Those are some strong arguments. I looked at highlight video of just one game and was impressed, but it was against Constanza, but that was Constanza last in 2009. On second thought perhaps I will stay with a more sure bet with Jones if we can't trade up. Are there any negatives on Cam Jordan?

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Miss you 21

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010