With the 10th pick, the Washington Redskins select....

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

With the 10th pick, the Washington Redskins select....

Postby skins2357 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:41 pm

I have read tons of posts all over the place with their ideas about who we should draft. Iv read the Locker posts, and Von Miller posts ect.. But I wanted to get 1 thread with players and positions. I am not interested in the 2nd round yet, Im looking at the 1st round pick.

Ill throw out the positions of need in regard to players who may be available at 10..

QB - Dont know if there is a QB worth taking #10. Maybe?
WR - After AJ Green, I would not draft any WR at 10
RB - No RB goes top 10 this year
OG - See above
OC - See above
DE - Should be players there
NT - No NT is going #10. Theres a difference between DT and NT. DTs in college probably translate to 3-4 DEs unless they are 330 lb+
OLB - Should be players there
MLB - Not a MLB this yr worth 10
FS - No FS worth 10

After looking at the positions of need and who could be there. IMO QB, DE and OLB are the 3 positions that we could realistically be targeting because there are players in these positions that could warrant a pick at #10.

OLB
1 - Aldon Smith - A fantastic pass rusher at 6' 4" 262 pounds.
2. Akeem Ayers - Ayers is a big (6' 4" 251 lbs), strong, fast run stuffer.
3. Ryan Kerrigan - Quick, talented and at 6' 4" 262 pounds could probably play end or at linebacker on a 3-4 team. Has a non stop motor.
4. Von Miller - At 6' 4" 240 pounds he could be a powerful force rushing the passer. Some say he may be alittle undersized however
5. Robert Quinn - Was suspended in 2010 but, the 6' 5" 270 pounder finished 2009 with 19 TFLs and 11 sacks. Some worry about character concerns.

DE
1. Marcel Dareus - Powerful, quick and excellent size (6' 4" 300 lbs).
2. Adrian Clayborn - Clayborn is the complete package, at 6' 3" 282 pounds he can rush the passer and stop the run.
3. Cameron Jordan - had an incredible season with 12.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks. He was unblockable during the Senior Bowl practices.

QB -
1. Blaine Gabbert - In 31 career games at Missouri, Gabbert threw for 6,822 yards and 40 TDs. His pass efficiency rating of 132.59 is the second-highest in Missouri history
2. Jake Locker - Locker is a big kid (6' 3" 226 lbs) with a strong arm and 4.4 speed. Locker is slipping on most draft boards, but he might rise again when scouts see him work out.
3. Ryan Mallett - A giant (6'6" 238 lbs) quarterback with a powerful, accurate arm
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:47 pm

OG - See above
OC - See above
NT - No NT is going #10. Theres a difference between DT and NT. DTs in college probably translate to 3-4 DEs unless they are 330 lb+
FS - No FS worth 10

QB - I disagree. I think Gabbert is worth taking at #10.
WR - I strongly disagree. Julio Jones is a STUD.
RB/OG/OC - Agree
OLB - Agree. There should be players there.
DB - No safeties but there are a number of stud corners and we need upgrades all over the secondary.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
OG - See above
OC - See above
FS - No FS worth 10

RB/OG/OC - Agree
DB - No safeties but there are a number of stud corners and we need upgrades all over the secondary.
I personally dont know if I would want Julio Jones at the 10 spot. Behind Peterson and Prince Amukamara, I dont think there are any CBs worth the 10 pick. I have yet to see a mock draft where 1 of them fell to 10. Im assuming both of them would be gone
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

No to a wide receiver. I don't ever want to see the Redskins take a wide receiver in the top 10, or even the top half of the first round again.

No QB appears worth the #10 pick either.

I agree about guards and centres that high in the draft. Personally, I have no problem with picking a centre in the first round, but not as high as 10, even if there was somebody there deemed worthy.

Probably no nose tackles good enough for a top ten either.

End, outside linebacker - somebody should be worthy, and available.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:43 pm

skins2357 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
OG - See above
OC - See above
FS - No FS worth 10

RB/OG/OC - Agree
I personally dont know if I would want Julio Jones at the 10 spot. Behind Peterson and Prince Amukamara, I dont think there are any CBs worth the 10 pick. I have yet to see a mock draft where 1 of them fell to 10. Im assuming both of them would be gone

I got you. I thought you meant no cb's worth taking in the top 10. No chance that Peterson falls, but I could see Prince being available.
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:51 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:No to a wide receiver. I don't ever want to see the Redskins take a wide receiver in the top 10, or even the top half of the first round again.

Lots of people like to make the argument that you should never draft receivers in the first round or in the top 10, but I've never understood this argument. Year in and year out the top receivers are generally first round players. Take this year for example, of the top 10 receivers in the NFL in total yards, 7 were taken in the first round, and three (A. Johnson, Fitzgerald, and C. Johnson) were drafted with a top 3 pick.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:12 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:No to a wide receiver. I don't ever want to see the Redskins take a wide receiver in the top 10, or even the top half of the first round again.

Lots of people like to make the argument that you should never draft receivers in the first round or in the top 10, but I've never understood this argument. Year in and year out the top receivers are generally first round players. Take this year for example, of the top 10 receivers in the NFL in total yards, 7 were taken in the first round, and three (A. Johnson, Fitzgerald, and C. Johnson) were drafted with a top 3 pick.
I have no problem with drafting WRs in the 1st round, or even that high. Like I said if AJ Green were to fall, Id be all for it.

But with all the holes we have, I dont think WR is a position we should take yet. For one, I think the crop of potential FAs could be good at WR and two, I would rather build a solid defense and offensive line before we put in the skill positions (WR, RB).

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with WR at #1 this year. A very good WR will make our QB situation look a lot more manageable.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:26 pm

To me, a top 10 draft pick being used on a wide receiver is like putting icing on the cake. You can get so much more impact (especially on a struggling team) from other positions. OK, if WR is the missing link in an otherwise stacked team, then why not go for it? But in the Redskins current situation, a top outside linebacker could make a huge difference to the defence, as would a nose tackle if a good enough one was available.

I didn't have a problem with the Redskins picking Howard all those years ago, because there didn't seem to be glaring weaknesses elsewhere, at that time. The problem with that pick was that he was the wrong player, not the wrong position.

I DID have a problem with them picking Westbrook, because there were far too many more important positions that needed addressing. He was the wrong position, AND the wrong player, lol.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:28 pm

No QB appears worth the #10 pick either.

I agree about guards and centres that high in the draft. Personally, I have no problem with picking a centre in the first round, but not as high as 10, even if there was somebody there deemed worthy.

Probably no nose tackles good enough for a top ten either.

End, outside linebacker - somebody should be worthy, and available.

My secret wish is that AJ Green somehow drops to us at #10. Other then that, I agree.

Oops, I should have said that. Way to keep a secret...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Of course, it's a mistake to look at the draft in isolation. The draft will only be one part of how this team can improve itself in the coming months. I think you can get a lot more value (and a more proven commodity) at WR, in free agency.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:To me, a top 10 draft pick being used on a wide receiver is like putting icing on the cake. You can get so much more impact (especially on a struggling team) from other positions

I agree with you, but we're not one lineman from solving the problem and there's not even one line position that is the critical one. We're going to need to keep working on the line. So if you have a good lineman versus a good receiver, you certainly go line. But if you have an exceptional WR I think you go there. Look what we did this year with one receiver, and he's aging. Another actual receiver who's actually good is worth taking.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with WR at #1 this year. A very good WR will make our QB situation look a lot more manageable.
True, but I just think there is so much that goes into the passing game that affects a WR that we dont have set right now. For example, an O Line. If the QB does not have time to throw, we could have Larry Fitz and Roddy White and they still would not get the ball. Lets get that O Line fixed before we start adding skill level pieces. Just my opinion.

Here is my wish list here in order.

1. Marcel Dareus
2. Akeem Ayers
3. Robert Quinn/Ryan Kerrigan
4. Von Miller/Aldon Smith

Dareus would give a huge boost as a 3-4 DE. If you grab a good NT somewhere else and with Carriker, that would be a much improved D Line.

RObert Quinn is iffy with alot of people. But this guy is a STUD. He is 6'5 270 and moves like he weighs 250. If he could get OLB down, man he's be a beast.

Akeem Ayers is my wild card. I think he may be the BEST OLB in the draft right now. He played the position in college and was darn good. He can rush the passer, and cover and has the size needed in a 3-4. I might even take him over Quinn, bc I think Ayers is a sure thing while Quinn may have more upside, but could be a bust.

Im not in Von Millers camp. He is just too small for me and is an Orakpo clone. We need someone for coverage and rush defense. Both these guys get after the passer great, but they got to do other things. QUinn is big enough and agile enough to stand up against the run and in coverage and Ayers has already proved he is a playmaker in coverage and can stand up vs the run.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:40 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:To me, a top 10 draft pick being used on a wide receiver is like putting icing on the cake. You can get so much more impact (especially on a struggling team) from other positions

I agree with you, but we're not one lineman from solving the problem and there's not even one line position that is the critical one. We're going to need to keep working on the line. So if you have a good lineman versus a good receiver, you certainly go line. But if you have an exceptional WR I think you go there. Look what we did this year with one receiver, and he's aging. Another actual receiver who's actually good is worth taking.

Well, we're close to coming back to the "best player available" argument. Not a bad argument. But I'd want the available wide receiver to be the best available player by quite a margin before the Redskins select one, IMO.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:06 am

It seems we are committing to the 3-4, I would really like to get Dareus or Clayborn. Maybe Liuget but he may be more a 4-3 guy. I like Julio Jones but understand he's a risk. I think Kerrigan or Ayers are possibilities as well. Quinn/Amukamara could slip, Jimmy Smith and Nate Solder are in play. It's way too early at this point.

It's definitely a Defense-heavy draft. Get the D early and see what you can do offensively in the second. Mallett, Locker, or even Newton could be there. Decent receiving prospects. Guards. Unless of course they see a viable Nose option in the second, that changes everything.

I'm keeping my eyes on Kerrigan, he isn't alarming athletically but he is very strong and relentless and should collapse the pocket if put opposite Orakpo.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010